Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Archery Elk hunt

Old 03-11-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Archery Elk hunt

I realize there is another forum for archery, although my question(s) is specific to elk. Have taken bulls with my rifle and muzzle loader, but never went with a bow....until this coming fall. I'll be talking with my good old bud who has been in the archery business for over 50 years with regards to some basic relative to my current set up, but I would welcome any input from you guys (or gals) that have been there, done that, a few times.

Conventional quiver, or would a cat quiver (back pack style) be better?

I currently shoot carbons and am happy and confident with them, but would a heavier wall aluminum be better?

Broadhead choices? I have been shooting Steelforce for a while and love em. I have been a firm beleiver on "cut on impact" blades.

Anyway, feedback would be appreciated.........

Thanx,
Old 03-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Archery Elk hunt

Whitetails,
I my self just starting back in to the bow hunting game,I used to hunt deer a little.But for elk the game has changed.I like a quiver on a bow,but the back-pac ones are a neat idea.The one I like is the one that fits your bow on your back.

As for broadheads,I looked at the steelforce could not get enough feedback on them shooting a faster type bow so,I'm looking at Liberty BH and the Razor caps.I my self like a Cut-On-Impact BH.I'm shooting carbon arrows fron Gold Tip and I have been very pleased with the groups and shots I have taken.
I can't wait till this fall,it is going to be a blast.
BBJ
Old 03-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

I have a few elk under my belt and my set up looks like this.
XI Force One bow 70lbs, 30" draw, 26" 2314 XX75 Easton arrow topped with a 130gr Muzzy broadhead. I do shoot a release. I don't care for carbon arrows, but they will get the job done. And the Steel Force broadhead is a good choice. I would shoot the 125gr over the 100gr. My quiver is on my bow.
Shoot a lot and practice in thick cover, shooting lanes can be tight.
Have fun!
Gselkhunter
Old 03-11-2005, 09:45 PM

I prefer to keep my quiver on the bow. In the area I hunt you sometimes have to run and gun to get out ahead of the elk. Having the arrows on your bow allows you to ditch your pack and make a break for the the elk with out too much noise. I shoot blackhawk carbon vapors and have tried a couple of broadheads with success and really like Wasps. If you have a lower poundage bow stick with cut on contacts.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cut on contacts are great. I shoot a very high KE so I am able to get away with muzzies but would tell anyone that cut on contact are best. The shots are generally very close so I would concentrate on a heavier arrow than I would speed. I shoot Hoyt Protec at 70 lbs with a 29.5 inchdraw. I am using Easton super slams this year that are 2413's. I am like GS in the fact that I like a higher FOC for hunting.