Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

horseback hunts?

Old 03-08-2005, 05:53 PM

Default horseback hunts?

does anyone hunt on horseback? If so, is it hard on the horses? What breed did u use? I have Quarter horses.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: horseback hunts?

Whitetail,

quarter horses are just fine for using hunting, it really don't matter much on breed just the horse itself. If your talking hunting horse back in the mountains if its hard on them especially if they are not used to alot of activity. A horse can go way beyond man in walking in mountains.

But bringing horses from back east to high mountain ranges will effect a horse more than it appears to on the outside. Some hunters push their horses to hard in the first couple of days and just like a person not used to the altittude it will be used up and move slower and have to rest more often the rest of the week.

Most horses that come from active ranches or are being rode alot from the east do just fine in the mountains.

One thing to keep in mind hunting horseback in the mountains is alot of creeks and down falls. If your horse is not used to stepping over such things I would practice some of that before coming out.

I qrew up on a ranch, still outfit, and have hunted off horseback all my life. There's no ATV or pickup truck that will put you up in the elk country away from most people like horses. And when the elk is down there's a big relief knowing the horse will carry it out for you.

One thing maybe is practice getting off while your drawing your rifle out of the scabbard at the same time. Alot of times it will mean the difference of killing a big bull you have just rode up on. I have shot alot of animals off the horse including elk and I wouldn't recommend it for a novice hunter or a novice hunting horse. But I can guarantee you will get atleast one shot off. You may end up on you head after the shot.

good luck hunting
Old 03-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: horseback hunts?

I agree with Cherokee, except in the snow. It was a kidney buster!
Every thing else was perfect.