Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Resident vs. Nonresident

Old 03-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Resident vs. Nonresident

[quote]ORIGINAL: SpyroAndes

ORIGINAL: Elkcrazy8

your state's elk...
glad you finaly admitted it
Old 03-07-2005, 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Elkcrazy8
I give MY time and effort to the state and its animals. I have worked check stations, done radio collaring projects with the biologists, fed the hungry elk and deer on the burned out winter ranges, packed endless bags of garbage out of the hills, Used MY resources to get alot of this done. I was born way out of state and this is where I chose to live as others can do the same if they want. I left home with a duffle bag 2400 miles from here and understood that the mountains were to be home for me. Why should I not get a break on the lisc. fees. My question is why should someone who does not do any of that get the same breaks as me?
So are you saying that wildlife service should be mandatory of all resident hunters? Or that residents that do wildlife service should be given preference?

How about me?

I built guzzlers for sheep in two states.

I built guzzlers for other wildlife in another state.

Should I get preference in those states because I took the time off of work and my busy schedule to help wildlife in those states?

Frankly, I did it because I love the wildlife and want future generations to have plenty of game to hunt... Don't get me wrong, I wrote off the mileage and other expenses because it is considered a charitable donation but I never had any ulterior motives like improved chances for the draw.

I completed my hunter's safety course 25 years ago.

Do you know that I have flown to Phoenix just to take a hunter's safety course to get the extra bonus point that you receive from completing an Arizona Hunter Safety Course?

I have friends don't need a hunter safety course because of their age or have taken it years ago in a different state like me that have done the very same thing?

If you hunt in the west, you have to do everything that you can to hunt somewhere as a non resident...

And I'll have applications submitted in Idaho (sheep, mule deer & elk), Nevada (mule deer, antelope & sheep), Arizona (mule deer, sheep, elk & antelope), Utah (mule deer), Wyoming (mule deer), New Mexico (oryx & elk), Montana (mule deer), Colorado (mule deer & sheep) and Oregon (blacktail, antelope & sheep). Out of all those applications... I MIGHT DRAW ONE TAG! And that will probably be my Montana Mule Deer LandOwner sponsored tag.

SA

PS. Btw, your state doesn't own the water, grazing or mineral rights on federal property (forest, park, blm or military facility), why do they believe they own the wildlife resource? If your state believes that they own the wildlife, they should pay grazing rights for the wildlife on federal lands. Why should more of my hard earned tax dollars goto subsidize the free grazing of wildlife, that your state claims that they own, on federal property? Also since your state is conducting a commerical enterprise, selling the right to hunt wildlife on federal lands, don't you think that they should give the feds a kick back? I guarantee if I opened a business that utilized federal lands, I'd be paying the feds for that opportunity.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:02 PM

No, no, your a kalifornian! Just by your posts you areone deep inside.,

The intent of this thread was about states rights and the attempt our US Senators are doing to secure those rights. I as a resident should have some privielege towrds hunting licenses. We pay taxes, work, spend 90% of our income in our states, support schools, businesses, and communities. As soon as the bill passes the senate this argument will be settled. Not over but settled. And for those that don't want to pay $490 for an elk tag, don't!!!! Some one else will! Demand excedes supply ever year. And as far as I am concerned raise my resident fees, I will give up my cable tv, or internet provider, or water my lawn less, quit buying beer, work more overtime, some how I will come up with the funds to apply for a tag, because I cherish the privelege to hunt here and it is more important to me than the above mentioned vices!
Old 03-07-2005, 07:52 PM

i am not a religous man but, AMEN! RANDYA!
Old 03-07-2005, 08:57 PM

ORIGINAL: RandyA

No, no, your a kalifornian! Just by your posts you areone deep inside.,
Lol, ok fine... Then this Californian can hunt circles around you. Does that make you feel better?

Oh and I am an American. You people are complaining about our court system and their rulings, not me.

The intent of this thread was about states rights and the attempt our US Senators are doing to secure those rights.
That is what I am doing. Btw, the proposed bill has been able to stand on it own feet and has tried to attach itself to two other bills but has failed.

Notice that the majority of the senators supporting the bill are from states that have been sued (Nevada) and the state he has in his sights (wyoming).

I as a resident should have some privielege towrds hunting licenses. We pay taxes, work, spend 90% of our income in our states, support schools, businesses, and communities.
Are you trying to say that non-residents don't spend money in these states? That would be a rather foolish stance to take since many of these states have only 2 lucrative industries... outdoor tourism and selling their land to Californians.

Please explain what paying taxes has to do with anything? These Wildlife Departments are completely funded by tag and license revenues.

When it comes to the University of Wyoming, your kids should get preference because of your taxes but, when it comes to hunting and wildlife, your arguement doesn't hold water.

Since we are on the topic of taxes... if you get pulled over in Idaho, should your traffic violation cost you 10x what a resident would pay?

I mean the troopers are funded by that resident's taxes and the Idaho Dept of Transportation maintains those roads so you should pay more right?

As soon as the bill passes the senate this argument will be settled. Not over but settled. And for those that don't want to pay $490 for an elk tag, don't!!!! Some one else will!
The practice is wrong but people are willing to pay so screw you?

Lol, I hope that one day that not a single non-resident applies to hunt your state's rag horns so you are saddled with a $2400 elk tag (what arizona is now charging non-residents) and we will see how quickly you yell "Foul!"....

I am thinking that all your big talk is just that talk... You'd be on here whining if they just doubled your elk tag cost let alone set them at non-resident prices.

Btw, this bill won't pass the senate from all indications.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spyro

You seem to have some amount of disposable income that will allow you to apply, and perhaps travel to and hunt a variety of states this year

Perhaps the economical situation for you would not be the same if you lived here, or in Idaho or Wyoming

Typically, Montana residents are not as economically well off as people from less rural settings-
I can attest to this personally as (like Elkcrazy8) I am a transplant from somewhere else (East Coast for me) and have taken around a 60% pay cut to move here. Do I consider myself worse off--hell no---I feel like I am much richer because I have the chance to experience the outdoors that most people just read about, But, have I made sacrifices--hell yeah---starting over in a new place, having to tighten my belt, being thosands of miles from life long friends and family. If you want to have the same rightful privileges as a resident---Move, and perhaps make those same sacrifices---although, with your attitude--you should think very carefully about it. And if your job, CA lifestyle, family, or whatever prohibit you then just be glad you have the opportunity to have the resources to possibly enjoy many different states and their hunting. Don't begrudge those who spend their lives here because they have better chances and pay less to enjoy their local resources--after all they choose to live here---you choose to live there.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:31 PM

HillBilly,

Why should your benifit for living there be cheaper tags and licenses?

Why shouldn't your reward be that you can utilize the outdoors more often?

Seriously, I don't understand the premise of your point...

Residents that live in Southern Utah aren't garanteed to hunt the Pansigant.

Residents in Northern Arizona aren't guaranteed to hunt the Arizona strip or Kaibab.

Residents in Western New Mexico aren't guaranteed to hunt the Gilas.

But residents of many of these states feel that they are entitled to "hunt in their backyards" which makes the deer herd on the Pansigant the most heavily poached herd in the country.

Which makes the elk on the Mongollon Rim in Az and the Gilas in NM, the most heavily poached elk herds in the country.

Yall are entitled to hunt in your yards right?

Here is my question... Is a resident of lets say Aspen entitled to cheaper lift tickets than a non-resident of Aspen. I mean they live there right?

Frankly, I don't believe that you moved to Montana for cheaper tag prices.

You moved to Montana so you can experience the outdoors more often.

Same reason I spend June, July and part of August back in Idaho. I fish the heck out of the Park, Henry's Fork, the Beaverhead, the Madison and etc.

Frankly, I decided my career path based upon my passion for the outdoors. I have breathed hunting and fishing since I was 6 years old.

The reason that I work for myself is so I can take off whenever I want.

Peace
Old 03-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SpyroAndes

HillBilly,

Why should your benifit for living there be cheaper tags and licenses?

Why shouldn't your reward be that you can utilize the outdoors more often?

Seriously, I don't understand the premise of your point...

Frankly, I don't believe that you moved to Montana for cheaper tag prices.

You moved to Montana so you can experience the outdoors more often.
EXACTLY

And in order for residents to utilize the outdoors more often---they should be given the lion's share of the tag allotments.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Three months a year spent back in Idaho constitutes residency? According to fish and game thats not long enough to be a resident is it? Another thing, With all the tags you keep putting in for as a non resident ,could be the reason why the tags are so high. If I had a product I would not wait for someone to buy it for 5 dollars if many are standing in line to pay 500 dollars for the same item. At this point I think that I will agree to disagree and call it quits on this thread. Good luck in your tag draws this year. And by the way, I have no problem buying a second tag at non-resident prices, as I did a couple of years ago after killing a P&Y raghorn. As Paul Harvey says............................Good Day.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:20 PM

For the people who keep insisting that their state doesn't receive federal funds I suggest you go to your state game department and do a search for Pittman/Robertson Wildlife Restoration Act.

I haven't found one yet that doesn't get money from the feds.

Quick Reply: Resident vs. Nonresident

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.