Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Resident vs. Nonresident

Old 03-07-2005, 03:26 PM

Default RE: Resident vs. Nonresident

yeah i know rebel hog, money talks. like i said it is just frustrating thats all. i have never gone out of my province to hunt, never had too, everything is here that i ike to hunt for, moose, deer, elk, grouse, geese and ducks. i have also never hired a guide, dont have to. but i feel that if i wanted to go to alberta i am sure i will have to pay through the ying yang. so i guess it doesnt matter where you go, you want to play you got to pay!! iam just glad i am fortunate enough that i only have to go about 30 min out of town and i am in prime hunting area. i guess it is good the money goes into someones pocket, haha, hopefully the right pocket, but i think i am most sore on the limited entry hunting draws (LEH) and the non residents that gets them thats all. but i guess they are paying more than 6 bucks to enter the draw like i do.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Dominant Buck

I see you know where I'm comming from on this!!!
Wish you the best in the future!!!
Old 03-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Show your support for manufacturers against USO against USO and Taulman...

The below link is a quick way to show your support of manufacturers who pulled their sponsorship of Taulman.

If you have time, click on the link below and email the manufacturers and thank them for doing the right thing.

http://www.seazsc.com/new_news.htm
Old 03-07-2005, 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Montana Bob

You are a non-resident coming to my state to use my resources.
Why come here? The animals you want to hunt not where you live?Don't have enough where your from?
It seems simple to me that you seek an area with less people and/or more animals.
Less People = Less Residents to buy Licenses and contribute to the Keepers of the animals.
Most of these Western States with good game populations don't have the resident population of people and/or hunters to contribute and benefit from the non-resident and in turn my area is kept pristine and full of animals for you to hunt.........At a Price.
Seems simple. Play here, Pay Here!
You are coming here because we offer something you don't have and you wish to.
Seems like simple economics to me. You want to drive the Benz you will pay.
If you can't afford or don't wish to pay, stay at your own state and use your own resources from your state at a resident price if you don't think it's worth it to play here.
For you non-whining non-residents who do hunt here and contribute Thanks... It your $$ that helps keep this place a fine place to hunt.

First off, you need to refrain to "my" in your posts... you don't own the state, the animals or the area.

All you are is the recipient of a Wildlife handout from the State of Montana...

Anytime the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks needs more money, they bleed the unable to vote in the state elections non-resident.

If the City of Missoula decided to set up Toll Booths at every entrance into the city and charge Missoula non-residents $40 per car as a "City Street Usage Fee", how long do you think that they would be able to do that before a judicial body decided to step in. According to your argument, the City of Missoula would not only be justified in doing it, since they would be "the keeper of the streets", you would support their decission to do it.

Frankly the only reason that residents of these "hunting desitination" states justify the absolutely unfair pricing of the hunting opportunity to non-residents is because they want to keep receiving their handout.

Because if it was about giving the resident the most opportunity to hunt possible, these residents would want all non-resident hunting eliminated. Of course they don't want that because the resident license and resident tag prices would go up atleast 2-3 times the current rate.

It is all about the handout... You even said it yourself in not so many words... non-residents should pay for the Benz but residents should get it for next to free.

SA

PS. Why should non-residents have to pay more to hunt waterfowl? I hope that you are not claiming that Montana is the "keeper" of this migratory game bird.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:40 PM

ORIGINAL: kshunter

Show your support for manufacturers against USO against USO and Taulman...

The below link is a quick way to show your support of manufacturers who pulled their sponsorship of Taulman.

If you have time, click on the link below and email the manufacturers and thank them for doing the right thing.

http://www.seazsc.com/new_news.htm
Do you actually believe that half of those manufacturers are against USO and Taulman?

What those manufacturers are against is getting into a heated dispute and losing money because of it.

Heck, I read most of the e-mails and honestly... over half of them came out and said that very thing.

In fact, most of them talked about how great USO guides and USO Tag Service was prior to announcing their seperating from USO because they don't want to be associated with such a heated topic.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Elkcrazy8

Here we go with the money thing again. It is not all about money. I will back your comments 100% when I see you planting bushes on the winter range, volunteering for radio collaring projects to track mortality rates, cleaning up miles of forest service trails, spending time at game check stations, shoveling hay to starving elk that was bought by local RMEF chapters. Federal dollars manage forests. The only federal dollars being spent on wildlife here in my state right now is killing off elk populations. You can have the wolves back, We don't want them. We are all too familiar with politics these days. The thing that I can tell you is that the herds are what they are because people volunteered their time to give back to animals. Are you a member of an anti wolf coalition? If not I would be joining one because they are effecting YOUR animals more than any non-resident rule. But you probably already knew that since it is on OUR property.
You think that local RMEF chapters are the only ones funding the presevation of habitat and maintance of the Elk herds?

Where do you think that all of the monies generated by the RMEF goes to? Elk Habitat in Flordia or Louisianna?

Non-resident RMEF donations are going to help perserve your state's elk...

Frankly, over the last couple of years, I have done alot of thought about revoking my support to alot of these organizations... I have revoked my sponsorship of the Arizona Mule Deer Association and a few others. I'll probably chop a few others out this year.

Kinda seems stupid for me to support an organization that benifits the wildlife of a state that doesn't want to let me hunt it and rapes me for thousands in the process. Sort of like raising a herd of cattle for the rancher, then having to pay a premium for a steak or two. Doesn't make sense...

Since the states claim that they own the wildlife and want to charge non-residents a ton to hunt them, the state can foot the bill for the wildlife...
Old 03-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

No one is forcing you to hunt out of your state. Stay home. It's a simple solution for all!

Gotta love those opinions and arguments of the typical Kalifornian.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:26 PM

The Wilderness is a rough area for city folks and even tough for residents who live there....

I think it's good insurance for a state to require a guide for the inexperianced out of state hunter instead of a deposit on a rescue.
Lmao, so if I live in a bungalow outside the University of Montana for 6 months... I am more adept for an experience in a Wilderness Area?

It is about expertise and skill, not about where you live

The way I see the price of the Non-Resident tags... You are paying for a portion of the back state and local taxes as well as other expenses that I as a resident of the state have paid for years for management of the land and animals you wish to hunt in my state.
You think that state and local taxes fund the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks?

I would be shocked if that is the case.

The state bodies in charge of wildlife, in all of the states that I am familiar with, receive 100% of their funding from the sale of licenses and big game tags. Not from state or local taxes.

As for the public lands that they are on, the vast majority is national forest or blm...

As for private lands, the state subsidizes them with landowner permits that the user still pays the state for of course...

If a cattle rancher runs cattle on National Forest or BLM lands, he pays the feds for grazing rights... Since the states claim to own the wildlife, maybe the should pay the feds for grazing rights since other federal revenue producing activities are not pursued or limited because of the impact on the "state's wildlife".

Pay to Play...
Old 03-07-2005, 05:29 PM

No one is forcing you to hunt out of your state. Stay home. It's a simple solution for all!

Gotta love those opinions and arguments of the typical Kalifornian.
Funny, I was born in Alaska... Grew up in California... Went back to Alaska... Currently a legal resident of Idaho... Working in California...

But it was cute how you tried to dismiss my opinion as that of a typical Kailfornian. Nice generalization...

Pigeon holing people and the validity of their opinions by their physical location is foolish... Would you like it if I dismissed your opinion as that of a barely literate country boy straddling the poverty line because you live in a small town in Montana?

Generalizing is a dangerous practice...

How about addressing the issues and points that I raised rather than going for the cop out of attacking a poster?

That would almost be refreshing...
Old 03-07-2005, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spyro, you are on a roll here. What I was getting at with my post, has nothing to do with money. I give MY time and effort to the state and its animals. I have worked check stations, done radio collaring projects with the biologists, fed the hungry elk and deer on the burned out winter ranges, packed endless bags of garbage out of the hills, Used MY resources to get alot of this done. I was born way out of state and this is where I chose to live as others can do the same if they want. I left home with a duffle bag 2400 miles from here and understood that the mountains were to be home for me. Why should I not get a break on the lisc. fees. My question is why should someone who does not do any of that get the same breaks as me?

Quick Reply: Resident vs. Nonresident

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.