Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best time to bear hunt?

Old 02-23-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Best time to bear hunt?

Could someone please help me with the best time to bear hunt. I have heard go in the spring, better coats. I have heard go in the fall, no bugs and better coats. Would some of you guys who have been bear hunting or killed bears please let me know. I am trying to go on a hunt with my dad and want to get the best time of year. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best time to bear hunt?

I find the best time to hunt bear is when the wife is bear aslo.LOL

Just kiddin.

I like to hunt in the spring when they come out after the snow is gone and the hair is still thick and not rubbed off and they are hungry and calling seems to work good.
Now I don't find them to good eat'in at this time of year cause all the fat is gone.In the fall when they are putting on fat for winter and the coats a thick and glossy is also a good time to hunt.
In the spring look for the first spots to green up or the fastest food,thats were the bears will be.
In the fall look for good berry patches or your natural food sources.In Montana it is not legle to bait so we do alot of spot and stalk and tons and tons of glassing high meadows and avalanch chutes.
As for guns I like a 25 cal or larger for blackbear(I assume thats the kind were talking)if the large specices is around(grizzly) I like my .338 win mag or a good stout .30 cal rifle.
Hope this helps BBJ
Old 02-23-2005, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wanted to comment on that but bbj said it all.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:37 PM

My experience with bear hunting over baits has been better in the spring time. I have seen bigger bears and more of them. Fall hunting is less consistent and varies based on the type of summer preceeding it and the availability of natural food sources. My taxidermist has told me that spring hides/coats are much better on bears. However, later on in the spring, some bears will have rubbed patches.

Another positive with spring hunts is that the breeding season is in late May-early June.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bear hunting in the spring produces better numbers no doubt, especially over bait. Not to mention less things to hunt so it makes for a nice change of pace. That said fall hunting produces better coats and bigger bears (if you can get on them). Baiting this time of year is more difficult b/c of natural food sources but it can be awesome if a poor berry patch, lack of crop or early frost as well.

Another positive with spring hunts is that the breeding season is in late May-early June.
Up here in many places I hunt this time is also when the larger boars are rubbed and since many want a rug..I would consider this a negative. but it does depend on the spring/weather and area like anything else.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:04 AM

We can't bait them here, I've had better luck in the spring. A hard winter really gets them moving around and they're easy to find.