Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

elk hunting in Montana

Old 02-20-2005, 09:22 PM

Default elk hunting in Montana

Are there any National Forest areas in Montana or general areas of the state that are traditionally better than other areas in the state for archery elk hunting.
Numbers of elk?
Trophy grade of elk?
Thank you. My wife has gotten the bowhunting bug and wants me to put her in for a tag in MT this year.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: elk hunting in Montana

Montana hunting is on a very fast down hill slide. Montana has way too many wolves. The elk population is dropping fast. I would recommend New Mexico. You can buy landowner tags in New Mexico direct from the landowner.

Good Luck,

Wolf Killer
Old 02-21-2005, 01:38 PM

Montana has the second biggest elk population and there are a lot less people that hunt Montana than New Mexico.Thay are working on the wolf problem.If I would tell you where the best spots were they would be no good any more but one spot if you are going to try to draw one tag I got 3 words for you Elk Horn Mountains.

Aaron
Old 02-21-2005, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Montana has the second biggest elk population
MTelkhunter, Colorado has the largest elk population. Oregon has the second largest elk population.
A person can buy a New Mexico land owner tag straight from the landowner & avoid the draw. This is the reason I would buy a landowner tag. New Mexico also has some very big bulls.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Come on guys, the heard went to Hawaii.
Go to montanas homepage and find out what region you want to hunt. If your not choosey a lot of areas have cow tags available, some areas more than others. Quite a bit of land avaliable. Suggest getting in shape yesterday. Bobby
Old 02-22-2005, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

This year if I were you I would pass on a Montana Hunt and go with CO.
The weather here has been dry as a pop corn fart. If it continues they may just close some of the woods down. They have done it before.
CO on the other had a decent Winter and a fair snow pack. You would be out a nice chunk of change had you planned a hunt here and were unable to hunt. So I would look elsewhere to hunt Elk for 2005 unless a we get a butt load of snow and fast.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:05 AM

Just talked to our outfitter for our mule deer/antelope hunt this fall. He had 7 bowhunters this past fall and four got bulls. Outfitter is 7-V Ranch near Brussett, MT. No wolves in eastern MT and they have lots of animals in the Missouri river breaks.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Breaks are a dandy place to find elk,one problem.Lots of private ground,and the elk are not as easy to find.The country is rough and there are lots of hunters looking for elk also.

I would try the Garnet Range,Elk horns,Crazy's Mountains and the Beaverhead Natl. Forest.
BBJ
Old 02-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never seen so many people in my whole life as I seen in the Breaks this year. I seen license tags from all over the country and even Canadian tags. People, People, People all over and not to mention those dang rattlers. Yep lots of people and rattlers. Rattlers, Rattlers,Rattlers and People,People, People.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

121553 isn't the breaks where Chuck Adams shot his world record bull a few years back around Fort Peck? Everyone flocking there for that reason I'd assume!

haha, rattlers and people will keep others out won't it!

Quick Reply: elk hunting in Montana

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.