Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

new elk hunter

Old 02-20-2005, 02:03 PM

Default new elk hunter

Hi Guys-
I am an avid hunter waterfowl and whitetails which is what Iowa
offers but at 46 I find myself hunting the easy ways and for lack of a
better term toading out and I dont like it.
I know in order to bowhunt for elk and do it right,you have to be
in shape.So this is what I want to do in order to be the hunter I used to
be.
Planning on a backpack hunt.Not having an ATV would a wilderness
area be better to get away from other hunters?Just ordered one of Elknuts
vids,sounds like there the best.Also are two wheel game carts legal in
colorado wilderness areas?Gonna hunt as hard as I can,any advice would
be appreciated.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new elk hunter

My first advice would be to get yourself in shape. Start out by building your cardio, pulmonary and leg muscles. I hunt in Idaho and hunt the back country. It is better because you can get away from the rest of the pack and the bulls will be generally less disturbed. I know that elknut hunts pressured areas and does very well. But I can almost think that he would be in agreement about the back country. If you find yourself in the midst of pressure look for those little out of the way areas and try some of the info that Paul gives on the video's. He has some of the best advice I can think of. I used to hunt pressured areas myself and did well hunting with robinhood36. I have been very successful the last few years hunting the back country. Practice shooting your bow also. 3-D shoots are a good way to put yourself under pressure and still make the shot. All the hard work in the world will not be worth anything if you can't make a shot under pressure. There could be a good deal of pressure if you are not used to a mature bull bugling right down your collar. IMO you have picked one of the most exciting and challenging forms of bow hunting there is. I have pushed myself to the limits both physically and mentaly both before and after the kill. It is very rewarding when you sit back and see what you have accomplished. Good luck and keep your powder dry.............
Old 02-20-2005, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the advice Elkcrazy8.For the first hunt my partner and I
plan on hunting Colorado.Been looking at unit 53 or 54.I use a recurve
and cedar arrows puts whitetails in the freezer.Shure a close encounter
with a bull will test me in more ways than one.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:01 PM
Typical Buck

When I was looking into a Colorado elk hunt I was thinking about the Weimunuchie Wilderness area. I called the DOW and the lady I talked to said that all wilderness area in Colorado have a ban on anything with wheels. Plan on packing or stock to bring home the bacon.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the info on the wheels Hunter-59.Do not mind packing if
I manage to take an animal.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

bkbell,
My first question would be .........How much backpacking do you do or have you done?????

I ask for two reasons. One is that this adds an entirely different scenario than just going Elk hunting. Which is tough enough even if you go back to camp at night.

Second is that if you don't backpack and don't have all of the things you need.......Then you will need some pointers as to what to bring and what to expect.

Bill
Old 02-20-2005, 07:46 PM

First off, Bill thank you for responding to a flatlander. No, I have not
backpacked other than a bag of decoys into the marsh or a daypack into
the deer woods. So any advice on what I need or should do will be taken to heart. I plan on buying a frame pack, lightweight tent, camp stove and
so on. Taking in a few days worth of food, if we make contact hunt that area if not move on.

Brian
Old 02-21-2005, 07:51 AM

Does anyone have advice on what unit to hunt if you do not have an ATV?
Old 02-21-2005, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

I've never hunted CO but know for a fact it can be very demanding on ones phyiscal capabilities. Prepare yourself the best you can & then some! You'll find that you'll still have to get your body used to the higher elevations once you're there, accept that and don't get discouraged, you'll get used to it!

Elkcrazy8 is right, we do hunt highly pressured areas, but prefer less pressured areas! Just the same, you can do fine in either with the proper setups & matched with much patience. Getting back as far as you can will increase your odds, you must be willing to penetrate at least 1-1/2 mile in and further. Try to focus on the latter part of Sept if possible, this can increase your odds with elk being more responsive & vocal to your calls or plan an ambush if needed. --I sent you a PM.---------------------ElkNut1
Old 02-21-2005, 01:08 PM

Thanks for the advice Elknut1, bought a tredmill the other day. Sounds like I need to get started now. Did not realize how indepth
elk calling could be, your vidieo should help with that. Practice calling,
get in shape, shoot my bow, make some special arrows, its all good.

Quick Reply: new elk hunter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.