Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

ISO Gear suggestions for an Elk Hunt

Old 02-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Spike

Default ISO Gear suggestions for an Elk Hunt

Hey all, first post here, but I've been reading for some time now. Obviously there is a lot of good experience here, so I thought I would pose a question.

I have a buddy who's Dad and brother live in CO, and they have invited me to go on my first Elk hunt with them (not this fall, but next, cause my buddy, who is also going, needs a little extra time to buy his gear and save a little money).

I normally hunt the woodsey hills of WV with my old Marlin 35 rem, so I'm also using it as an excuse to buy a new rifle , probably either gonna get a 7 mag or 30.06, and soon, so I can get good and comfortable with it by next year, and use it hunting whitetail here this fall.

My question is, can anyone give some good suggestions on what gear I should take with me? My bud's dad has hunted from the same camp (forget the area exactly, but it's a little west of the divide) for over 20 years, and he is sending me a list sometime in the future, but I thought I would ask here, just for second opinions, or things he may forget to tell me. Our camp is right at 10,000 feet, and they go in late Oct/early Nov. I don't have to worry about some things, because they already have stuff they use every year.

Oh, yeah...they use pack horses, but we still have to walk in (and up), I believe he said its about a 5 mile hike. I've already started running a few days a week, and gonna start hiking some of our hills soon, trying to get in shape for it (another good thing about the trip, a reason to exercise more). I know the elevation will be tough, the highest we have around here is only about 3500 feet, but there's not much I can do about that.

Anyway, sorry so long for my first post, and any gear advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ISO Gear suggestions for an Elk Hunt

Hey Jofus,
I'm a permanent transplant from WV (moorefield), you'll get a lot of good advice here. You definately want a quality pair of binocs--leupold windrivers, steiners, nikons, something if possible 8-10 power--something light in weight, a good day pack, set or two of waterproof outerwear, two pairs of boots, lots of clothing you can layer--wools and polartecs--cottons not very good for protection from elements. A gps unit that you can use wouldn't be bad, emergency gear--blanket, possibly a range finder.....I'm sure there will be more additions---------------good luck
hb

I'd also vote for the 7mm with a good scope
Old 02-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

First thing that comes to mind is, How are your boots??? Waterproof,insulated and comfortable???
I don't know how your friends hunt. But alot of hiking is usually involved. I buy at least a 1/2 size bigger to accommodate for heavy socks. I also use feet warmers in the mornings.Nothing makes a person want to go back to camp more than cold ft.
If you're looking for clothing.....Wool is best. I buy mine at an army surplus store for a fraction of what some fancy name brand stuff will cost. Pants with anle buckels,sweaters heavy and lite.Good wicking underwear is a MUST also.

I could also suggest a filtering water bottle.Fill it up at camp in the morning so that the filter does not freeze up and then you usually have a water source for the rest of the day. If you can find water that is.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

Here is a list that an Alaskan Outfitter sent me. Some will apply some will not.This will give you an idea and also there might be something on here you didn't think about.
1 Medium Jacket 1 Heavy Jacket Rain Gear
2 Changes of Clothes Long Underwear Hip Boots
Swim Suit or Shorts Sun & Stocking Hats Sleeping Bag
2 Pair of Gloves Chap Stick Suntan Lotion Medicine (If needed)
Sunglasses Hand Lotion Camera
Lots of film Hatchet/wood saw 50’ of small strong rope
Dish & Hand Towel Bath Towel Flashlight & Batteries
Very big garbage bags (3-4 each) Shampoo & Soap Deodorant
Head Net & Bug Dope Camera Batteries
Personal Water Bottle Fingernail Clipper Visine
Soft Clothing & Gear Bags Tooth Brush & Paste Charge Cards
Cash for Fishing & Hunting Licenses Cash for Aniak Lodging Travelers Checks
Pillow Case Tennis Shoes, Boots & Sealer Group First Aid Kit
1 Roll Duck Tape per person Group Cloth Tape Measure Binoculars (1 for 2)
Rifle, Sling and Oil Hard and Soft Rifle Cases 2 Boxes of Shells
Bow & Arrows Hard and Soft Bow Cases Group GPS
Collapsible Fishing Rod Assorted Fishing Lures & Line Fillet Knife
Hunting Knife & Sharpener Personal Compass Pack Frame
King Size Pillow Cases for Meat Group Bone Saw (1 per 2 people) Water Purifier
1 Roll Orange Surveyors Tape Zip Lock bags for clothing Salt for Capes
Extra Duffel Bag for your Cape Pepper to keep flies off meat Extra Eye glasses
Spotting Scope (1 for 2 people) 3 to 4 Cigarette Lighters each Extra Boot Laces
AITW Measuring Sheets Plastic Funnel for Camp Stove

One Water Purifying Pump for every 2 to 4 people
One GPS for every 2 to 4 people is very important
Old 02-25-2005, 08:27 AM
Spike

Thanks for the suggestions and the list guys.

I have one good pair of boots, and am looking now for a good deal on a second pair, so I can break them in this fall. I normally use fleece instead of wool, and have a good bit of it already from hunting, fishing, and skiing....but any reason to buy more gear is a good reason, right?

Thanks again. I'll keep checking this board for good posts, I see all kinds of good info on here all the time.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:35 AM

Since this isn't an area you've hunted, get a USGS topo map or even better - a GPS. With the altitude change, see if you can head out a few days before the hunt starts to adjust your body to the thin air - it'll be quite a change.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: jofus13

Thanks for the suggestions and the list guys.

I have one good pair of boots, and am looking now for a good deal on a second pair, so I can break them in this fall. I normally use fleece instead of wool, and have a good bit of it already from hunting, fishing, and skiing
I didn't see gaiters on any lists, although one did say buckled ankle pants. I learned the value of these inexpensive things the hard way. Without them snow gets on the ankles of your socks and wicks right to your feet.

Make sure at least one fleece layer is windproof. I like windproof fleece better than wool. Wool's main value is if you get it wet, other than it looks better. It sure is heavy and bulky, though.

I also didn't see a packable severe weather hat - those kind you can drop the ears down and bundle up or stick in your pack.

You will be changing body temperature a LOT. Work hard and sweat, then stop and wait for hours in the cold wind. Nice weather, severe weather, etc. Colorado is very unpredictable at 10,000 ft in late Oct / early Nov. I worked there at that altitude for several years.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

The one thing I use the most when elk hunting in Co is my GPS. I mark where I go in, Where I hunt and other spots that seem of interest. You can pick up a garmin etrex for 99.00 and they work great. I would also suggest a compass because I don't like to rely totally on anything that requires batteries to find my way back. Other than that I really don't take anything more than what I would for a full day here in Pa mountain hunting.