Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

elk hunting questions

Old 02-17-2005, 04:46 PM

Default elk hunting questions

I am planning an elk hunt this fall. I want to hunt during the rut and it is my understanding that this takes place during the archery season. I have never hunted elk before and I dont have the money to hire a guide so it has to be a do-it-yourself operation. I dont care if I take a huge bull or not, I just want to have a chance at an elk. I have been thinking about going to Colorado because of the large elk population. Does anybody have any suggestions about where to go or have any tips on elk hunting. I have heard that the area around Meeker is supposed to be good. My dad went to bull mountain once and shot a nice 5 by 5 during the rifle season. Does anyone have any comments on these areas? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: elk hunting questions

You can start with this link to get some information that might be useful. Good luck![link]http://wildlife.state.co.us/hunt/[/link]
Old 02-18-2005, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

Dribowhuntingfool, Meeker has elk no doubt, but the country is hard for bowhunting, although it can be done. Colorado has some fine elk hunting along the Continental Divide. The east side is draw areas mostly, but the west side is over the counter tags. Units like 551, 55 areas around Gunnison are very good for bow hunting also great to look at. Areas up around timberline where the feed is good and there are steep draws with water and timber for cover is what I look for.
Gselkhunter
Old 02-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know about Colorado but the rut in Montana Peak rut starts around the 15th of Sept.,give or take a few days either way.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

Lets put this way, the bugling gets intense around the 15th of Sept. But the rut starts in Aug. Around the 15th of Aug.the bulls shed velvet from their antlers and begin to brake up bachler groups and move tword breeding areas. The older cows will start estrus cycles around the 20th of Aug. If not bred, the cow will have cycles about every 28 days. Thats about Sept. 15th for the second cycle. By this point bulls and cows are together. I have had the fastest action before the bulls and cows are together. That is when the bulls are setting up their domain and start talking. But the temps are still warm and alot of the heavy activity is at night. And in Colorado, Sept. 10th will be the start of muzzle loader season. I would come before or after that.
Gselkhunter
Old 02-18-2005, 06:03 PM

I also have a muzzleloader that i use every year here in Wisconsin. Can you shoot bulls during the muzzleloader season. I ordered big game regulations off of the colorado dep. website but it said that they werent published yet. When do the regulations come out. Thanks again for the help.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:40 PM

^^^ i got mine in the mail today
Old 02-18-2005, 07:38 PM

How do I find the odds of drawing a tag in certain units?
Old 02-19-2005, 04:16 AM
Typical Buck

Here is the link to the drawing odds. [link]http://wildlife.state.co.us/huntrecap/04DrawingSummary/ELK-04_drw_sum.pdf[/link]
Old 02-19-2005, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Good Luck with your tag! But you'd be wise to listen to the awesome info given by gselkhunter, he's on the money, and it's as valuable as the tag you're seeking!

ElkNut1

Quick Reply: elk hunting questions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.