Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

elk hunting questions

Old 02-19-2005, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: elk hunting questions

I think the area around Bull mountain and Deadman would be a good choice. I personally don't know the area extremly well because I hunt the high alpine basins during the rut.But have had several friends take bulls out of this area over the years. An archery tag wll be easier to get than a muzzleloader tag.
I probably would not hunt archery during the ML season as the # of hunters in the woods seems to double.I would opt for the week before or the last week of archery.Once the ML hit the woods the Elk shut up and are tough to get. If you can let the woods settle down a bit ,the Elk will do the same.
As for the drawing odds for this unit: Archery either sex there were 1700 tags aval. w/435 apps. ML bull there were 400 tags avail. w/ 457 apps. These #s are from the 2003 pref. point draw list from the CDOW

Bill
Old 02-21-2005, 09:01 PM

Default RE: elk hunting questions

Would you guys suggest hunting before or after the ML season? I was looking at the rule book and it said that you cant have any battery operated devices on your bow. I have a lighted pin on my bow. Is that illegal? And if so how strict are they on this rule. Thanks.
Dustin.