Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Archery Mule Deer Hunt.

Old 02-13-2005, 09:47 PM

Default Archery Mule Deer Hunt.

I'm planning on going on a 7 day mule deer hunt this september and will be using archery equipment. Currently I'm using a QuickTune2000 DropAway rest, but was wondering if you guys think I should try a Whisker Bisquit?

Thanks for the help folks.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Archery Mule Deer Hunt.

If it aint broke why fix it?
Old 02-14-2005, 12:28 AM

ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor

If it aint broke why fix it?
Well, I was wondering only because my rest isn't a full capture rest. I will not be hunting from a stand, it will be strictly spot and stalk and still hunting. I've often heard it said that it is better to use a full capture rest for this type of hunting.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you are talking yourself into a full capture rest?
I use the wisker bisquit rest & love it. I think everyone should at least try the WB when they are looking for a new rest.
The ripcord is a full capture fall away rest, you should consider it if you like fall away rests?
Old 02-14-2005, 07:52 PM

Vast majority of my bowhunting is spot and stalk for elk and mulies. I use a drop away rest with a good trap on the riser to hold the arrow. It holds the arrow on there if I have to cant the bow at an odd angle or anything. You shouldn't really be putting an arrow on until you are getting ready to shoot. To much can go wrong. If you do have an arrow on the string and have to move you are getting pretty close and will be moving very very slowly anyways. Not to say you shouldn't try a WB if you want to. I just don't think it's necessary
Old 02-14-2005, 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: CapDog

Vast majority of my bowhunting is spot and stalk for elk and mulies. I use a drop away rest with a good trap on the riser to hold the arrow. It holds the arrow on there if I have to cant the bow at an odd angle or anything. You shouldn't really be putting an arrow on until you are getting ready to shoot. To much can go wrong. If you do have an arrow on the string and have to move you are getting pretty close and will be moving very very slowly anyways. Not to say you shouldn't try a WB if you want to. I just don't think it's necessary
Alright then, can you suggest a good trap out on the market? I really like my drop away and would like to continue using it if I can.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

My main reason for a bow is hunting, while I enjoy shooting a bow the bottomline is any product I feel will benefit my hunting activities is worth a boo. The WB has been a winner for me since the first one I installed number of years ago! I rarely hunt from a stand so the WB does what I need it to do - very easy to tune, works as advertised with no fuss or muss and has been a great hunting rest IME.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would worry more about all that rubber you have hanging from your string in the picture. Mule deer average bow shots are probably the furthest of all the game hunted with a bow. That will slow your speed down. Also rubber stinks. Rub your fingers on that rubber and then smell your fingers. The deer can smell it. Just a thought.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:38 PM
Typical Buck

A WB is not a bad investment. To me it's just one less thing to worry about and you only lose about 5 fps. When I'm closing in on a muley there have been times when I thought I was ready for a shot and knocked an arrow just to have the deer move and I had to take a few more steps. It's not far enough to take the arrow off the string but far enough you have take a few paces so half of your concetration is on keeping your arrow in it's place. For me it's my pointer finger pinching it in place. Then you hit a small branch or obstacle and instead of focusing on the deer you are looking at your bow to put the arrow back on the rest. A WB is a nice way to eliminate that problem.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:47 PM

The one that comes with your NAP Quicktune is one of the better ones out there, unless you are hanging your bow upside down it doesn't come out. I shoot a TKO rest now, but still use the quicktune trap. There are a bunch out there. Head to the pro-shop and take a look. Most can be purchased seperate from the rest for a couple of bucks. Look for one with high side walls to prevent the arrow from bouncing out.