Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Scent-Lok or others.

Old 02-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scent-Lok or others.

I have ? for all you bow-hunting guys out there who stalk and bow hunt elk,do you use this stuff.I mean it is a nice concept but the price.. ouch.I have hunted for a very long time,and bow hunted before this stuff came out and I was plenty close to game,under 40 yards.

Dose this stufff breath enough to walk in all day at 70+ degrees?I'm a kinda big guy 5'10 220lbs,I'm not outa shape but I get hot easy.Should I just go with my standared camo.

I'm just wondering,I use the wind all the time,heck I killed my elk this year with in bow range,with my rifle.I'm always sneaking up on deer within 5-10 yds.

What is your honest opinion.
BBJ
Old 02-11-2005, 07:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Scent-Lok or others.

Man I sweat enough elk hunting just in a pair of jeans and a long sleve T-shirt. I couldn't immagine being in that stuff too. It would be soaked all the way through with sweat and then what good would they be?[8D] Besides when you are out there hunting for days at a time the outside of the scent lock clothes will get every smell that you have on it and they will be worthless. Cooking bacon, coffee, dinners, etc... etc...

Besides that they are not all that great to begin with. It's all about marketing. Talk good about them enough and tell enough people that they NEED them and people will buy them.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

I firmly believe in decent camo, especially the top half, the bottom half isn't so important. I normally wear green wool cargo type pants while bowhunting. I never wear any scent lok or scent control products. They just flat aren't necessary in elk hunting.

Play the wind just like you've been doing all your life, and you'll continue to have those up-close encounters without scent free products!-------------ElkNut1
Old 02-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with both and add that my friend tried it and did sweat to death, in all honesty he did get heat stroke and became very sick. I do like to stay scent free as possiable using scent free bodywash and clothes wash but that wount save your but if your sweating and not using the wind at all times.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

I use Scent-Lok in most of my whitetail hunting from tree stands. I would not recommend it for any type of hunting which requires lots of strenuous activity,i.e.; elk hunting unless you are hunting from a stand. I have also at times been scented by whitetails while using the outfit. It doesn't work all the time.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

There are many folks around who say those scent blocking products are a gimmick that does NOT work. Based on the reasoning charcoal needs very high temperatures to reactivated, about 1200 degrees F.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bbj, I don;t use scent loks but use regular real tree columbia camo which is real quiet for bowhunting and the water beads off it like on a ducks back. I do camoflage my scent prior to heading out by using dirt, grass, flowers and worm wood and mash it as over myself to hide my scent. I got caught up in some shifting wind gust while stalking a herd this year and got within 15 yrds of some cows and at another time this year I could of reached out and touched a doe coming right to me, I'll never forget the expression the doe made as it saw me. If there is a dominate wind I wish someone would show me as the winds consistantly change and I think you gotta mix up your scent cause the winds going to change and you still always got to be aware of its direction. Good luck, Bobby
Old 02-13-2005, 01:30 AM

I've never tried scentlok, heard about it and agree with the other guys, its hot and sweaty, I use SKUNK scent, if you don't use too much and make your self sick[:'(][:'(] Works excellent on ELK, come right on in to 10yds or less.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I LIVE WITH FEAR AND DANGER EVERY DAY: BUT OCCASIONALY I LEAVE HER AND GO HUNTING
Old 02-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys,I need some new camo,so I was wondering if scent lok was a option.I figured it was not a good idea.
I use a scent killer spray nuetrilizer,on my clothes when I hunt,and then wipe crushed sage brush or pine on myself,it works.I guess I will stay with that,just have to find some good camo.
BBJ
Old 02-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not wear scent lock clothing. I do wash my clothes in scent-away soap. I spray down with scent away before I hunt. I also use scent killer soap when I shower. I do not know how much all of this helps? I do what I have to to keep the wind in my face at all times.
IMHO you would be wasting your money on scent lock clothing. Look at the nearest WalMart for camo clothing. I have found some great deals on camo there.

Quick Reply: Scent-Lok or others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.