Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk callers beware!

Old 02-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk callers beware!

Hey wait a minute now. What is all this talk about. You are taking advantage of me when I didn't have a computer handy. Big head????First of all who had to be shoe horned into the pickup when he placed at the IBO shoot in La Grande? Now that I have your attention, I beleive that the same person was a little busy the times I did ask him about going after turks. I still claim him as my brother-in-law too. I was awarded his friendship in the divorce. She got the house. I think I ended up with the better deal. Even with the big head jokes and all.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: gselkhunter

Then I told him why it happened, Audrey winning, he understood perfectly. For those of you that know Miss Audrey, you know the deal. And for those who don't, well you will soon. Gselkhunter
GS,

What is the deal? Why did she win?

Elknut,

What division are you going to enter?

Corey
Old 02-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

Corey--Good to see & hear from you! At this time I'm going as a spectator to the calling comp in UT. Several of us here on this "site" are meeting up so we can get to know one another by sight rather than just being internet friends. You're more than welcome to join us!! So far I believe there are 4 or 5 of us going.

I guess I should ask, are you planning on attending and competeing there?
If I was to enter I'm sure it would be in the adult class since I have no experience in calling for judges, but on the other hand, I firmly believe I could call in the pro division. You see my dilemma, I'd at least like to see what to expect or get my feet wet first, so to speak, so I don't embarrass myself to bad!! I would be more than happy to accept any pointers the World Champion may want to offer!! Thanks---Paul
Old 02-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buglelk1, nice to meet you, please tell me and others about yourself I think I know who you are but not positive. Have you called against Dan Whitmus? Are you Pro and if so are you sponsored by anyone? Sorry to grill you just trying to get to know you. My name is Jason Liebe and I have compeated in a couple of competitions, but am still learning, I am a avid elk hunter and bowhunter. My wife and I teach archery education here in Idaho Falls. We have two kids and hopefully with time they will be huge hunters too. Anyway nice to see you here and I look foward to your info in the furture. Jason
Old 02-21-2005, 10:01 PM

Buglelk1, welcome to the board, i have met and talked with you at some 3d bowshoots where you were selling some of your elk calls, and also at the sports show here in Boise a couple years ago. Not sure who won for the world championships bugling contest 04 and '05 season, maybe you can clue us in--was it you, your dad, and how did your sister do? Take Care and Keep Bugling,
RobinHood36>>>------------<>
Old 02-22-2005, 08:00 AM

Paul,

Glad to hear you're at least looking at entering, it would be awesome to have you enter. It's always enjoyable to listen to good elk callers, but even more so when you can chat with them and know for a fact that they know what they're talking about when it comes to calling elk. I think everyone knows you're in that boat...

I'm going to try to slip away for the Utah contest if time allows for it. I have no doubt that you'd do just fine in the pro class. In all honesty, I think the best elk callers in the world enter the "Men's" class at the world championships. I think the competition in the "Men's" class is at a higher level than in the pro class. I'm not saying there aren't some great pro callers, but if a few of the guys from the men's class ever went into the pro's, they would likely win, in my opinion. And that's all it comes down to, opinion. It's really hard to sit in the audience and judge these competitions the same as the judges do. The final outcome is based on what the panel of judges think sounds most like an elk, not what you or I think sounds most like an elk. Every judge is different, so every contest is a guessing game. All you can do is do what you know sounds like an elk, and hope the judges agree with you! No matter the outcome, it's still a great time. I would suggest you enter, and if you'd like to get together ahead of time, I'd be more than happy to give whatever pointers I might have.

Jason, thanks for the welcome. Like you and the others, I'm just an avid elk hunter and bowhunter and love spending as much time as possible out in the woods! My Dad owns a game call company, so I've been bugling as long as I can remember, including calling contests. I have bugled against Dan Whitmus, he's a great guy and a great caller.

Robin Hood, great to hear from you! We're heading to Portland tomorrow for the 2005 contest. My sister and Dad weren't able to make it last year, but we'll all 3 be there this year. We'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for the welcomes!

Corey
Old 02-22-2005, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

Hi Corey, It is pretty simple. Audrey was trained by John Sarkisian and Jim Collins[Audrey's EX], both of these guys have won RMEF titles. John started the buzz bugle. And Audrey is every bit as good as John. She is very smooth and has great transition between parts of a call. She has a great gutteral start to her calls and has great volume. And you here about rhythm in turkey calling, well Audrey has applied it to her elk calling. Too many guys want to hold on to the top pitch of a bugle for to long and it throws off the timing. Audrey will hit top and drop back a half step then drop into a buzz[sounds great]. But one of the things I have noticed most about Audrey's is the points she racks up cow calling. Most guys don't put in enough effort into cow calling and try to make it up in the bull sounds. And the biggy there were only 4 people calling in the pro division and she won by a lot of points. I don't know if you remember me Corey, but I have called against you. I used to work for H.S. I called in Salt Laked, Portland and Denver.
Gselkhunter/ Gregg Stevens
Old 02-22-2005, 08:09 PM
Typical Buck

Corey, Thanks, I truly apprecieate the kind words and the offer, I just may take you up on it. gselkhunter has given all of us an insight in what to expect in the big leauges and it too has been very helpful, I'm sure I can speak for all of us.

It's good to talk to guys who've been there, this way we can better prepare ourselves, just like elk hunting. Heck, we all want to be the best we can be!!!

For those of you unsure of who Corey Jacobsen is, he's the 2004 World Champion Elk Caller! I guess he's just to humble to come right out and say it, hope he doesn't mind me cluing you in! <grin>

You all should know he's not only a great caller of Elk, but a great human being as well. I say this from personal experience. Last year he offered his time and money to help out a young man who was going in for surgery on a very rare brain tumor, Corey was one of the few who stepped forward to offer his personal assistance to show up at hunting camp to aid this young man in any way he could, be it packing meat or calling, he just wanted to help. As the story & hunt unfolded this was this young fellas one wish that he wanted fullfilled in case he didn't survive the surgery, that is to hunt elk with a bow, little did he know it would be with the very best! My hat goes out to Corey for the type of individual who was touched and responded to such an ordeal.

Thought I'd let you know what kind of person he is other than an awesome Caller!
ElkNut1--Paul
Old 02-22-2005, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Paul thanks for the info, Corey won in the Men division correct? I think that Dan Whitmus won in the Pro Division. I could be wrong? Either way it doesn't realy matter, what matters most is Corey is a awesome guy and hunter for giving up his own time to help this other hunter dreams come true. I do believe in God and I have heard the saying when in the service of your fellow beings you are only in the service of your god. I would say that saying applies to Corey. I tip my hat to him.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:47 AM

Gregg,
I agree that Audrey is a great caller, I just wasn't sure if something out of the ordinary had happened when she won down there or not. It doesn't surprise me at all that she won, she probably should have been in the finals at the World Championships last year in the Pro division. John and Jim are both great callers as well. I didn't realize that Jim started the "buzz" or "lip bawl" bugle...I haven't seen you for a couple years at the bugling contest, do you still go?

Elknut,
Many thanks for the kind words, I can only echo them right back to you, as you were the one who set the whole hunt up and graciously offered your hunting area to the young man. It's great to be involved and to associate with great people who truly care about others, and put others above themselves. You're truly a class act, and I'd share my hunting camp with you any day. However, as Jason pointed out, you're off by a year on the bugling championship... :-) Dan did win the Pro division last year (2004) and I took 4th.

Jason,
Thank you for the kind words, and I agree with what you said 100%.

We're heading out for Portland this afternoon, I'm hoping to get my son to bugle in the peewee division this year. He turned 2 two weeks ago and he can add a growl to a high pitched scream like you wouldn't believe! The only problem will be when they ask him for "cow sounds", he's going to start moo-ing...

If anyone's heading over for the RMEF convention, be sure to let me know and we can meet up.

Corey

Quick Reply: Elk callers beware!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.