Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What is the best call for calling in a bull elk?

Old 01-30-2005, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is the best call for calling in a bull elk?

RobinHood36, that is so true and yet no one has mentioned it. I do that as well in calling set ups.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

Robinhood36---How could I forget about you????? Heh - I didn't!! It's just that I'd talked to both of the on the phone at one time or another, I should really say I listened, I couldn't get a word in edgewise!!!!!! <grinnnnn>

You do bring up a good point about being elk when making certain calls or sounds. It reminded me of your "Fire" post!! Too, those types of sounds are very effective with 2 or 3 hunters. We utilized 3 this year in the taking of my sons bull.

It was my son & I and a friend of his who'd never bowhunted so he came along for the fun and in hopes of hearing some bugling. It had been a slow rainy day around the 10th of Sept. It was around noon and the elk were bedded. We crested a small ridge that just looked good to me, I gave two soft cow calls, nothing, waited about 20sec. then gave a whiny spike to raggie squeal & a quick agitated cow sound like the she was being annoyed by the raggie. Immedieately a small whiny squeal was heard by us about 300 yds away and accross the small draw we were above. We were in heavy cover and couldn't be seen, the bulls sound was short, a 1/4 sec long, but interested! We checked the wind and setup right there. My son and I got about 40 yds apart and gave low keyed cow sounds and one calf sound back & forth, about every 30 sec we threw out a short squeal, we never heard the bull again, but I knew he was interested and should sneak over.

During the senario we had my sons friend 30 yds behind us rustling the brush and cracking sticks & pulling tall grasses like elk were milling around and feeding, we also shuffled our feet when calling as well, about 20 min goes by with light calling by us now & then & the bull shows up out of now where 17yds from my son & broadside, he's staring in the direction of my sons friend who is still hard at it rustling the brush, he was hidden enough that that the bull couldn't see him but he was glued to the spot all the racket was coming from giving my son a chance to draw and make the shot.

Patience, and making elk noises did the trick even though that bull never made another vocal sound after is initial response. -------------------------------------ElkNut1

[img][http://www.elknut.com/files/Paul_II_bull_elk_2004.jpg]
Old 01-31-2005, 02:11 PM

grunt call
Old 01-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good point robinhood36, you and your brothers showed me the trick of thrashing trees and such. I would have to admit I am one of the noisiest elk hunters in the woods thanks to you. I now even take rocks and pound the ground with them to make it sounds like hooves hitting the ground. Splashing in wallows works great too. I ran into an issue with a squirrel a couple of years ago using the wallow trick. He had been floating pine cones in the wallow. I watched him for several hours putting the pine cones in the wallow. When I disturbed his activity he cussed me out for some time. Gosh, what a temper on that little critter.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elkcrazy8, so your the one making all those squirrels mad at anyone dressed in camo!
Old 01-31-2005, 11:51 PM

CHEERS elknut!!!

As far as squirrels go,I have had to start wearing a hard hat out in the woods, now i know whos to BLAME!!! Thanx...[&:]

On the topic of elk---Funny thing is when i used to call elk i would try to be as quiet as a mouse, worried to death the elk were going to hear me making noise, now i have learned its just the opposite!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

Robinhood36---I think that's one of the toughest things to intentionaly do. (make noise)
For guys who've only deer hunted there whole life then start elk hunting trying to incorporate the sneak mode when they should be aggressive! Of course there are situations as Call & Stalk where a little coyoting is required.---------Good Points All!!

ElkNut1