Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Harvesting Bison?

Old 01-27-2005, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Harvesting Bison?

I Bowhunted Buffs last March on a 3000 acre section of a 12,000 acre working cattle ranch. it was a great time-cost was $800-4 days bowhunting only & lodging-no guarentee.
Bull or cow. I took an est. 900# cow the end of the 2nd day with a 40 yard shot. We must have set up at least 15 ambushes in 2 days with the Buffalo winning every time. My buddy also took one in the 4 days-an est. 1200# Bull. I ended up with a little over 300#s of cut, wrapped meat. We think it is delicous.

Old 01-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would do it in a skinny heart beat. Good meat and you can do it yourself. Like you said its a Harvest. Not a hunt. It should be a lot of good meat for the price.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:04 PM

Red, Krueger isn't bragging and degrading anyone, he just asked a question. And his method is for food, to fill his freezer and get a huge rug, not a TV show for baited, cross bred, hybred, game.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:21 AM
Spike

After reading all your guys post i have decided to go for it. If i get my new bowtech in time i might see if it would be possible to try with my bow, but if not i i'll still use my 30-06. 180 grain accu-bonds should do the trick or do you think i should get some 200 grain bullets? I really apprecate all the input.
I checked and the hunt is for either a bull or cow.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

My pick would be a good size cow. The 180 grain bullets from you 30-06 should do the job well. Good eating to you A friend of mine in South Dakota killed two with one shot from his 45-70. He had to pay for both animals even though the quide told him to take the shot. He came out ok though as he sold the meat from one of them. He was harvesting some animals on one of the Reservations there.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:49 AM
DDC

Nearly all opportunities these days to shoot bison are set up like the one you are looking at. There are two free ranging herds in the lower 48; one is in the House Rock Wildlife Area in Northern Arizona, and the other is in the Henry Mountains of Southern Utah.

I lucked out and drew a tag for a bull hunt in the Henry Mountains this last fall. In contrast to the semidomesticated bison that are shot on ranches, wild bison are very challenging to hunt. They are wary, have lots of eyes (in a herd), and run forever when spooked. There are 350 animals on 600 square miles. Most of the hunters I talked to who have hunted in the Henry Mountains told me that this was the most challenging hunt they had done. I agree.

On the 4th day I shot a huge old bull that was so heavy two of us could not roll him over. Getting the 500+ pounds of boned meat and the huge head to the truck 1/2 mile away was the hardest work I can recall. It was a very satisfying experience. But given that opportunities to hunt truly wild bison are vanishingly rare, I'd take your friend's offer and enjoy the best meat you'll ever eat. Bison meat needs to be aged, and it is easily overcooked. When done right even old bulls are tender and have a flavor much like beef, only much leaner.

Some suggestions. I would use a 200 grain premium bullet in your .30-06, like the Barnes Triple Shock or Nosler Partition. The hump fools a lot of hunters into shooting too high. Hold about 1/4th up from the bottom of the chest. Even the cows and small bulls are tough animals to put down.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:27 AM

I'd love to have the same opportunity.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

$600 sounds like a reasonable price. The meat is good and lean.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:56 PM

I shot one this year off a ranch with a bow and it was pretty darn fun.................and a !@#$! load of work !! I can't say it was like "hunting" but at the same time it wasn't anything like walking up to a domestic cow in a pen either ! Mine saw us and ran way the heck off .........it took me hours to get in range and ended up being much more like a "real" hunt than I expected !
They are humongous in person and it was an incredible rush for me as a bowhunter ! It took 2 of us 4 hours just to cape him out !! People can make all the claims they want.............but buddy.........I'll never say that it was nothing to it (even though it was on a "ranch") !!

Awesome...........I say go for it ! A rifle hunt may not do it for me.................but anything requiring you to get in close range with something very capable of killing you..........is a rush ........I don't care what anyone says ! I was shaking from a combination of adrenaline and fear when I took my shot...............and was happy as any kill I have ever made when I saw him go down from one arrow in the heart !

Good Luck !