Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunting aint hunting anymore

Old 01-26-2005, 06:02 PM

Default RE: Hunting aint hunting anymore

HUNTER 59

[/quote]
By the way, it's required by Wyoming law for me to hire a guide,
You can hunt on any public land in Wyoming, without an outfitter or guide except in a wilderness area. And how the G&F gets away with requiring a guide on US Forest (public) land in a designated wilderness is beyond me. YOU, meaning you, can go to the same wilderness 365 days a year, fish, hike, trap, back pack, horse back ride, ski, snow shoe, or walk naked on your hands, but you can not hunt in it. Go figure, it is protection for the outfitters. But seems to me, to be discriminatory.

I also consider myself a redneck, I work, pay taxes, hunt, carve antlers, hunt antlers, fish, go to church, had the same job 23 years, and drink an ocasional beer. I took offense to redsallisons stero types.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:09 PM

I have been hunting public for about 30 years. I've killed a few Just recently I got a small farm to hunt on. And I must say that the hunting is the difference between night and day!!!!! I can honestly say that a 18 month old doe on my public land is much more wery than any of the deer that I have taken off the farm... Taking deer off this farm was like taking candy from a baby!!!! I still hunt both places and one thing I can honestly say is that I get more excited when I shot a doe or a small buck in my state forest than any of the nice deer I've taken off my farm... I guess what I'm trying to say is that hunting on public land will make a hunter out of ya. Just ask the Cuz or Toxy

Dude just remember one thing. Anybody can do what your doing. So the next time you look at your trohpy wall just remember you didn't earn any of them you bought your wall
Old 01-26-2005, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

i'm just as proud as i can be of my 8 point whitetail that i shot on free land this november. nothing these guys can offer will ever be as special as having my wife, daughter and son with me when i took him. when i heard my daughter say "look dad that ones HUGE" i knew that he was the one. my 8 pointer is not BC and he wasn't taken on high fenced property but the memory of the hunt is what makes it my trophy.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hunter_59

Ok, I'm lost here! I'm a redneck whitetail hunter that has never shot a 150 class buck but has seen dozens of em in my neck of the woods. I've saved up a wad of cash to hire a guide in Wyoming to go on this dream elk hunt this fall. Am I still a good ole boy that can come back to the whitetail woods or will I be tarred and feathered for going on this hunt? I'm spending a "wad" of cash to hire 1x1, and hunt a trophy area, on a wilderness horseback hunt. By the way, it's required by Wyoming law for me to hire a guide, I couldn't hunt "do it yourself" if I wanted to. I know I could go cheaper but spending the extra money will get me farther off the road and a chance to see a trophy bull. Does that make me any less of a hunter to want this type of hunt? By the way I've shot whitetails in their day beds at less that 20 yards. They never knew I was there! I consider myself a decent hunter!
I'm sure that you will have a great time. IMHO, any comments on here (correct me if I'm wrong guys) that you might have thought were negatively describing the type of hunting that you are about to do, were actually describing hunts where the amount of money one spends GUARANTEES that person a huge animal. I'm sure you've seen those kind of ads in magazines and such----ex. "XYZ Ranch--350'' BUll ELK HUNTS---$7500--no trophy--no pay" and as you can tell most on here, including myself, would say that those places maybe a little less than sporting. As you can also see, many on here, including myself, felt that hunters, in general, should not be judged on the number and size of trophies that they have accumulated, especially those purchased in these managed supermarkets, but rather on their skills, knowledge, and respect they have for their quarry as well as their willingness to pursue the animals in a total fair chase (the animal can leave the country if it wants to) scenario. I personally would say that, to me, a lot of this comes down to the character one possesses as a hunter. Many might say that most of the outdoor shows on tv also lack that same quality. You sound like the type of hunter that knows that in real hunting there are no guarantees. One thing you'll be guaranteed is a great experience in some of the most beautiful country ever. I hope you get one too. good Luck
hb
Old 01-27-2005, 12:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunter_59,
I too agree with what others have said, there is nothing wrong with what you are doing. I want to hunt alaska some day and when I do I will hire a guide. But I will not be the type to brag about the size of animal saying look at me, how great I am becaue I killed a huge bear, or moose and I bet I am the best hunter in Alaska. Or say that everyone is jelous becaue I hunted alaska and they didn't or couldn't. And they are rednecks becaue they don't seek out trophys.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

To prove my point on how stupid people can be with a better than you attitude, just hop over to the bowhunting forum here in the hunting net and check out Captain backstrap post "How many of you"
Heck I will just copy it (the starting post) for all to see, its quite funney
Here it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting "Captain backstrap"
"How many of you "bowhunters" consider yourself to be the best bowhunter around??
I will boldly step forward and say that I feel like I am the best bowhunter around my neck of the woods. I honestly do. I wouldn't say that there's noone better period, just that I think i'm better than anyone else I know. Not cocky, just confident.
Just wondering how many of you feel the same??? "
Old 01-27-2005, 11:49 AM

EKM see if I understand the rules correctly: Its ok for the "bandwagon" to come on here and downride, make false accusations, name call and belittle those who choose to hunt in trophy areas and/or hire guides, thats perfectly ok and acceptible? Yet when someone trys to defend such ways of hunting thats class warfare, "classes of hunting" or whatever the catchphrase of the day is. Thats ok? Doesn't quite seem fair too me, but I'll go along with the rules, this aint my place its somebody elses.
First off Red, if your referring to me I did not call you names. I did not say you were stupid, I said your post was fundementally stupid. I've seen smart people make some really stupid post, myself included. You made this a class argument with your post, not anybody else. Secondly, I don't begrudge anybody with money, nor is it any of my business how anyone else spends their money and vice versa. My contention is that certain kinds of hunts, are not hunting at all. Big money, gauranteed trophy hunts violate the spirit of the orginal B&C scoring system. Genetically engineered deer, farmed crops, baiting and every things else tips the odds abnormally in favor of the hunter taking a trophy. The true beauty of a trophy animal lies in the inherent nature of that animal to be rare. By genetically altering the gene pool, and manipulating the regional ecosystem to alter natural growth tendencies, the natural wonder of a rare trophy is deluted, making that trophy commonplace, and thus no trophy at all. This will in effect raise the bar for a trophy class animal, and at what point does that end?
Old 01-28-2005, 09:09 AM

They should also have a seperate book Record Buck killed on Private Land and one for Record Buck killed on Public Land.

Here in Pa. that makes a big difference.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:08 PM

We're already spending enuf $ on this hunting I don't think we need to spend any more!
Old 01-29-2005, 06:03 AM

I must disagree with a lot of you and agree with others. I’ve killed lots of animals through the years. I don’t scope any of them. But the ones I have on my walls are trophies no matter where or how I got them. You may come to my home and say I got one bigger than that one or Wow! where did you get that one. But each has a long winded story and that’s what really makes it a trophy to me.

I've hunted for turkeys a time or 2 thru the year where I was done 20 minutes after I got out of the truck. And other times there were monster deer all around me I couldn't get a shot at. The hunting was done days before I had a weapon in my hands.

So just because you seen some guy on your TV killing an animal and you don’t like the way he did it. It’s TV, the movie Mars Attack wasn’t real. It was just a movie!

Quick Reply: Hunting aint hunting anymore

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.