Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunting aint hunting anymore

Old 01-24-2005, 08:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hunting aint hunting anymore

If I had the money the type of hunt I would go on wouldn't be sitting in a house looking out the window down a cut path. No jealousy just not my type of hunting.

Like it or not, trophies (too most of those that grow them) are simply comoditees that are to be bought and sold too the highest bidder. Thats the nature of the beast now adays!
That's sad. Growing trophy's just doesn't sound right.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just don't get pissy and call others names because they had the abilities to get something much larger than what you can realistically hope to take on "typically average" hunting range.
Your abilty to pay for a rack don't make your hunting ability any better, then someone shooting a spike.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:05 PM

Just don't get pissy and call others names because they had the abilities to get something much larger than what you can realistically hope to take on "typically average" hunting range.
What a fundementally stupid reply. If you chose to justify rigged hunting then do so in a manner not so condescending. It is arrogant and pompous for you to assume because people voice their disdain for certain types of "sport hunting" that they do so because they cannot afford it. There are many members on here that can easily afford the types of hunts we are talking about, but would not do it because it offers no sport at all. Shooting genitically engineered deer, with out any effort, that are not native to the area is pathetic, whether or not it is paid for. For you to make this an argument in class warfare, shows exactly what is wrong with your perspective, it ain't about the money, it's about the sport.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:32 PM

Red,

Generally, I enjoy reading your stuff, it usually has an interesting take on things. But, dang Red, you sure did get folk’s dander up a bit! I thought you had a good point or two along the way too, though I didn’t see one person give you credit for any of them while taking you to task on some of the other counts. I imagine they were busy tearing you up like “a wolf pack in a sheep pen” because some of the parts you said may have hit a little too close to home for comfort for some folks in some instances.

The only thing that hunters agree on a full 100%, is to disagree.

If you decide to stay on this site, then you’ve got to remember there are a few unwritten rules and one of them is you can’t allude directly or indirectly to some one’s “financial ability to play ball” or make any references to different “classes or levels” of hunting. The issue might be real enough and might be relevant enough and might be true enough, but, ah, er, uh, "we just don’t talk about those things here.” If you decide to stay, then I’d encourage you to be real cautious when broaching or even skirting the issues of money and/or the pursuit of outstanding or diverse or foreign or exotic hunts.

Drop me an email if you want to "kick around" some of the issues and alternatives a bit.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,

And as always,
Never Go Undergunned,
Always Check The Sight In,
Perform At Showtime,

EKM
Old 01-25-2005, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can see both sides of this very well. Having been a hunting quide and dealing with customers why paid for our service was part of my job. Many of them simply didn't have the time and place to scout for the season. They still wanted to hunt and drive out on opening day and get thier animal. To them that was hunting and they could afford it. This was not game farm hunting though and much of it was on public land. Any trophys taken there were earned the hard way. Hunting managed herds behind high fences is another thing altogether, There is nothing in the world wrong with this type of hunting for those who can fork out the money and consider it real hunting. Its a way for landowners to make a living. Being a land owner I can understand that big time. My only point here is that these animals shoul have a record book system of their own that specifies that they are game farm animals. This type of hunting takes place all over the world and it here to stay. I have taken some big animals but never had them measured or scored because that is not my thing. But its important to some and for them they should have their trophys rated for what they are. Troghys taken from free ranging animals. I can't see where this would step on any toes. I don't know how it works currently because I was never interested in the system. I have hunted a ton on private land. Never a fenced in herd though. But to each his own. To me its just shooting rather than hunting but hey shooting is fun too.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. To me, most of the issue I saw was the difference between shooting and hunting--and JamesB was right that shooting can be fun--but it's not the same. I don't believe financial aspects were, IMHO, relevant.
hb
Old 01-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

Hunting aint hunting anymore? To who? My hunting hasn't changed a bit. Hunting should be a personal thing and what, how and when others do it isn't going to change it for me. Hunting is an experiance to me not the kill. If people want to emphasize more on the kill and the size of the animal their the ones that I feel are missing out and don't effect me in the least.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

REDALLISON

I tell you what every deer or elk I killed has been on public land or land that any man could hunt with NO $ changing hands.I would be willing to bet if you post your pis what you have killed with you MONEY would not compare to what some of us have killed with sweat and time.

Fill free to post your pics :}

I have sevral like this to compare to.

Old 01-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Something like $7,000-$8,000 to become a real hunter...
Its all about money now.

It makes me sick.

The whole world has gone to who ever has the most money.

Thers no more hunting in your back yard any more.

All the land is gone for shopping centers and malls,
And apartments.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

Just yell if you want some this put next to them to compare sizes.

Quick Reply: Hunting aint hunting anymore

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.