Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Caribou hunting

Old 01-23-2005, 02:48 PM

Default RE: Caribou hunting

The blackpowder type hunts-- real blackpowder was always shipped in somehow IIRC. Substitiute that most use is considered like smokeless but still may have to be shipped. Check with outfitter.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don....They must have different rules than the airlines we have in the states...

When I flew from Yellowknife to Chicago via Edmonton, they did the metal detector and the whole familiar security bit , but when I flew from Montreal to Kuujjuac, we didn't.... Maybe inter-province flight has more relaxed security...I don't know... I just don't believe it would be a problem..LOTS of hunters use black powder guns in northen Quebec, and I'm sure they didn't buy it there... This would be a good question for 12 pointer to ask his outfitter... Then maybe he could enlighten both of us......
Old 01-23-2005, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Pygmy,

Found this on a Outfitters site that books Bou hunts.

"For those using black powder firearms, you are not legally allowed to fly with black powder. Let us know (no later than July) if you need some, and if so, what kind. We will have it for you to purchase in Schefferville."

Been looking at a bou hunt in 2006 and now know how to use a muzzleloader there if i decide to do so.

Don
Old 01-24-2005, 06:29 PM

Well, I hadn't even thought of that before now. I am 17 and am going with my grandpa and some friends, I will have to ask and find out. That kind of has me wondering. I will have to see and I will tell you all what I find out. I will start a new post and ask some of the other people on this forum.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don K..Thanks..That is good info...
Old 01-25-2005, 07:43 PM

I had other replies to a post that said you cannot fly with it also. I will have to have the outfitter get some and buy it there. Anything I buy there though I cant bring back either...
Old 01-26-2005, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

And im sure buying powder there is going to marked up........
Old 01-27-2005, 04:51 PM

Get some of the old blackpowder cartridges big enough for your load and store your powder and bullets in the brass. When you get to the end of the trip, just empty the brass and there you have your powder and bullets. I still wouldn't advise usin' real blackpowder it bein' a genuwine explosive. You might want the plane to make the whole trip.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pygmister , Man you took the long way around , I could tell ya a short cut from your door Buddy

I'm looking into a Drive up if your intersted Dan...BT
Old 01-27-2005, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Adrian... Thanks for the offer..I may do the drive up sometime, but not in the next couple of years...I've got a couple other critters on my short list that I want to kill before I hunt caribou again... Actually, I love hunting caribou and they are my favorite game meat..Wish I could afford to hunt 'em every year... You and Jeanette going to make it to Nashville..??...

Quick Reply: Caribou hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.