Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Your best drop them in their tracks gun?

Old 01-26-2005, 12:16 PM

Default RE: Your best drop them in their tracks gun?

Rather_be_huntin,

I didn't say I hunted deer with a 22, I said I have shot deer with a 22 (dispatching wounded deer on a ranch).

I am not saying a person can have 100% accuracy all the time, but we can try for it. And there have been times when I wasn't dead on, and I know what you are talking about. Different scenerios require different tools, thats why we all own more than one gun..... (At least thats what I tell my wife)

Erik

Rusty Axe Camp
Old 01-26-2005, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rustyaxecamp

I am not saying a person can have 100% accuracy all the time, but we can try for it. And there have been times when I wasn't dead on, and I know what you are talking about. Different scenerios require different tools, thats why we all own more than one gun..... (At least thats what I tell my wife)
Well it sounds like we feel the same then. Maybe I jumped the gun on you a little thinking you were part of the "shot placement is everything" (SPIE's) crowd. I don't know why but whenever I here that it just eats at me. I've been hunting all my life and I've just never seen a bench to shoot from while out there. That's why it gets under my skin to see someone totin a bee-bee gun out elk hunting and they tell you all that matters is where you put the bullet. That is important but I've never hunted with anyone for very long that hasn't been off. Others don't care about bullet construction. I've seen the results of SPIE's when the placement wasn't perfect and a little bitty bullet was used. Not pretty. I guess that's why this thread was started, just to see everyone's opinion on what they think does it best.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:35 PM

That's why Partitions are built like they are.... so when you shoot through the sapling, there's still some bullet left to do the dirty work Believe me, there's been many an instance where I was glad I leaned toward overkill as far as caliber/velocity........ I'm a big fan of "You can't kill something too dead."

Erik

Rusty Axe Camp
Old 01-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rather_be_huntin.... You make some excellent points in your post, and I'll be the first one to admit that some tools are better designed for certain jobs than others... I do believe that it's a hunter's responsibility to use enough gun to do the job... If someone uses a gun that is on the LIGHT side of adequate, he should show enough restraint to wait for a favorable angle, or not shoot...
My interpretation of this thread, however, was what gun do you use to make game DROP at the SHOT, as in FALL DOWN RIGHT NOW... My point is that in order to drop any game on the spot with any firearm, you have to either break the shoulders or hit ( or come very close to) the brain or spine....
Old 01-26-2005, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is a subject debated around campfires, in hunting camps and over a couple of adult beverages wherever hunters gather since the first hunter had an option of which caliber to choose. You will never find an answer that satisfies everybody. My personal choice is my Ruger #1 in .280 Remington, I love it. I have had a few problems with shots that didn't hit exactly where I wanted them (my fault) but a bit of tracking still brought home the venison. On this board you have those such as elkcampmaster that wouldn't go afield armed with anything less than a man portable howitzer to those comfortable with the various .22's. Both are correct, if they can shoot them.
One of the old Elephant hunters used a 2 bore firing an 8 ounce exploding round. The gun (named baby) weighed 38 pounds and delivered as much punishment to the shooter as it did to the Elephant, if, he hit it. Karamojo Bell on the other hand, used a .256 caliber rifle and killed hundreds of Elephants, Lions, Hippos, Rhino, Cape Buffalo and other animals with it as well as the venerable .303 British and other "Light" rifles. His favorite shot was the brain shot followed by the spine and heart shots. Needless to say he was a master marksman. Others that attempted to emulate his success were often (as many as 100 of them) found betwixt the toes of various species of big game that they had annoyed with their attempts.
What works for me, may very well not work for you and vice versa. If you are comfortable with your rifle and your round, you are likely to bring home a lot of meat with it. If you can't shoot the darned thing on a good day from a bench rest, you might be better off taking up knitting or golf.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:42 PM

Actually William Dalymperle Maitland Bell didn't like the 6.5mm for elephants, he said the solid 160 grain bullet had a tendency to bend and go off track. He used his 7mm Mauser for most of his brain shots.