Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Your best drop them in their tracks gun?

Old 01-25-2005, 11:11 AM

Default RE: Your best drop them in their tracks gun?

My "drop 'em in their tracks" gun: Ruger 77RLS carbine, 358Win., using 200gr. Win. factory loads. Scope = Leupold 1-4x.

JamesB
I might have to give a 6.5x55 a try. Winchester came out this year with the Mod.70 Featherweight with walnut stock and stainless action/barrel - very nice I think. I'm trying to decide, if I get one, will it be in 270Win. or the Swede.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Typical Buck

Delete
Old 01-25-2005, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rustyaxecamp

Not to rain on your parade, but I don't think any caliber is the "magic load". Shot placement is what it's all about. We can all brag about how our .416 anchored that monstorous buck where he stood, but a little .22 rimfire would have done the same thing, with careful shot placement. Once you figure that out, every gun you hunt with is a "magic, drop them in their tracks gun"!!!!!!

Then whey don't you hunt with your .22 rimfire?

Rusty this isn't to argue with you as much as it is that I just have to respond to this with some disagreement. I will never believe in a million years that shot placement is everything. It is one aspect that is important mind you, but there is more to taking an animal down and I'll tell you why I believe that. Let's just look at blazingly obvious facts first.

1. They make different calibers, cartridges, and loads for a reason. That reason is that all rifles, bullets, and powders are NOT created equal when it comes to your intended target!!

2. Hunting is much more than bench shooting. You WILL NOT put that bullet in the 10 ring every time. Don't try it, can't be done. Remember hunting is shooting offhand, shooting from a rocky hillside, rain, snow, wind, ranging errors, uphill slopes, downhill slopes, quartering to, quartering away, buck fever, and a million other things I haven't mentioned. Not to mention elk are just plain tough as hell and they can run a mile after they're already dead. Some rifles handle those scenarios better than others when you're shot placement is not perfect.

No I'm sorry but shot placement is indeed important. BUT...it's not everything and all cartridges are NOT created equal.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:45 PM

I have shot deer with a 22, and had them drop where they stood. I have shot deer with a 300 WBY and had them run over 75 yards, with no heart left. Does this mean the 22 is a better deer hunting round? No, it was the shot placement.

"You WILL NOT put that bullet in the 10 ring every time. Don't try it, can't be done." (rather_be_huntin)

Don't try it? Is this a serious post? I am the farthest from a PETA person anyone can imagine, but we, as hunters, owe it to the critters we hunt to at least try to be accurate.

Erik

Rusty Axe Camp
Old 01-25-2005, 01:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 6.5x55 is very close to the 270. On paper the 270 would seem to hold an adge but out in the field the swede can hold it own. A good gun writer once summed up the old swede like this. It shoots as flat as the 270, hits like the 7 Mag and recoils like a 243. That does sum it up well. While I do not believe in strecthing the range on shot at big game, I have dropped a few critters at 300 + yards with the 6.5x55. To make matters better, my swedish mauser is the most accurate rifle that I currently own. With the 140 grain Hornady it will group 5/8 inch at 100 yards every time I go out. I just have an old world class Tasco fixed power 4X scope on it. Its been on there for about 15 years now.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:39 PM

When I first read this thread, I immediately thought of the 6.5 Swede. It is mentioned more in these discussions than any other caliber. Even in the Nosler Reloading Manual, they say how it "just works". I am currently building a mauser in 6.5 Swede.

Erik

Rusty Axe Camp
Old 01-25-2005, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

i thought that i'd responded to this before but coundn't see it. mine is my Remington Sendero in the 300 Ultra Mag. I have others but this is my new favorite. before i would've said the 300 WinMag. but i love my Ultra mag.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rusty. I think you will love the Swede. I have three. All Military models. One is completely sporterized with a timney trigger. One is done the same except that it still has the military stock. The last is still 100 percent Military with bayonet, flash guard and sling.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rustyaxecamp

"You WILL NOT put that bullet in the 10 ring every time. Don't try it, can't be done." (rather_be_huntin)

Don't try it? Is this a serious post? I am the farthest from a PETA person anyone can imagine, but we, as hunters, owe it to the critters we hunt to at least try to be accurate.
It's just an expression. Of course you shoot for the vitals everytime. But 100% accuracy is not possible. Just trying to kick the ball around bud, no need to get your skirt wadded up. Again shot placement is important but it's not EVERYTHING. There will be a times when you're not dead on and see what I'm talking about. But I will say deer hunting with a .22 is just plain irresponsible.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

.338 Win Mag!! Love that gun......225 grain knock em dead!

Quick Reply: Your best drop them in their tracks gun?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.