Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Your best drop them in their tracks gun?

Old 01-19-2005, 11:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your best drop them in their tracks gun?

Looks like I will become a Rancher for a few days.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:14 PM

I think my truck does pretty good...lol. I just got a new Omega, cant wait to put a shockwave through a deer!
Old 01-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

&8 Jeep Wagoneer drops them quick but its expensive to reload.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:53 AM

My Weatherby 7 mm rem mag drops em fast!
Old 01-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

One of the few calibers that I have not tried. I almost bought the 700 classic when they chambered it a few years back.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:50 PM

Not to rain on your parade, but I don't think any caliber is the "magic load". Shot placement is what it's all about. We can all brag about how our .416 anchored that monstorous buck where he stood, but a little .22 rimfire would have done the same thing, with careful shot placement. Once you figure that out, every gun you hunt with is a "magic, drop them in their tracks gun"!!!!!!

My latest magic gun: 7mm RUM pushing a 139gr Hornady SST Interbond @ 3600 fps

Know your enemy.

Big E

Rusty Axe Camp
Old 01-24-2005, 05:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I figured the shot placement thing out about 48 years ago. The fact remains that for me, a few different rifles have always done it a bit better or a bit more consistant. I have taken deer elk moose and bear with about every gun that legal in our state and many other states and countries. I am only talking about my expierence in the field and wondered what others have expierenced. Only a few of the instant kills or drop them in their tracks shots have been made with any of my many magnum rifles.Always with calibers of moderate velocity. As I said in the start, maybe I shoot these guns better.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always been of the opinion that shot placement is the main factor determining whether or not an animal drops in it's tracks or runs a short distance...

A hit, or often a NEAR MISS on the central nervous system or shoulders will nearly always drop the animal in it's tracks... With a shot that hits the lungs or heart without hitting or coming very close to the shoulders or spine and the animal will nearly always run a short ways, regardless of what you hit it with... Despite many tales to the contrary, heart or lung shot animals seldom run more than 100 yards, and many don't make it 50 yards...

Jack OConnor said it best.." If you hit 'em WRONG, it doesn't much matter WHAT you hit 'em with....If you hit 'em RIGHT it matters even LESS.."...
Old 01-25-2005, 09:16 AM

James - Sorry if I sounded like I was arguing with you, that is not my intent. I totally agree that certain rifles seem to have the quality of being "that" rifle..... But in my humble opinion, the shot placement and choosing the right bullet/load has a big impact on making that rifle/load the "right" one. But if you have hunted for as long as I think, you knew a "poll" type question like which is the best gun would cause some debate

But......If I had one rifle/load to pick, for the areas I hunt and distance I shoot, it would be my 30-06 with 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. It has that certain Hammer of Thor effect on whitetails.

Erik

Rusty Axe Camp
Old 01-25-2005, 10:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

The 30-06 certainly does the job. And of course you are right that shot placement is the key. I think I shoot the 308 and 6.5 better than other calibers therefore good shot placement. Sometimes though it seems that my knocker down calibers perform better than they should. This would hold true in spades for the 6.5x55. Its one over achiever. It has neither high velocity or great bullet weight but for dacades its been taking deer, elk. moose and more. It does it without awful muzzle blast and without recoil.

Quick Reply: Your best drop them in their tracks gun?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.