Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Longe range shooting ?

Old 01-16-2005, 12:51 PM

Default RE: Longe range shooting ?

Thanks slamfire. Good pointers. Power, that elk was from Gardiner, MT, January 2004 in the soon to be defunct late migration hunt. Below is the ill-fated elk at plus or minus 180 yards, right before the shot.

Old 01-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool picture! What is the story behind the "Late Migration Hunt"?

Also, did you range her b-4 the shot?
Old 01-16-2005, 07:26 PM

Power, guess we're getting way off the subject, but as long as nobody complains . . .

The Gardiner migration hunt has been a great way to supplement your elk season. Ten years ago there were 2500+ tags for a migration heard of around 19,000 elk. You did not have to burn your general season tag, it was all supplemental. It is about a six seek hunt, Jan to mid Feb, with two-day cow tags and 4-day bull tags. Only about 3% bull tags, the rest cow. Many years ago the success rate was about 95%. In 2004 it was 54%.

The herd was 14,500 in 2000, and 8,300 this year. Most of the decimation has been due to wolves, but there's a lot of agument and denial among Montana's Wildlife people about that.

Montana fish and game expects the herd to dip below 8,000 next year.

Wolves get unlimited tags with having to draw.. What a travesty.

As far as elk hunting goes, it's an easier hunt, yes, but not a guarantee. Wouldn't want a guarantee. It was a GREAT way for my sons to get their first elks. In 2003 it was my first Montana cow. Not by any means a wilderness hunt, with quite a few orange vests dotting the hills, but if you know that going in, it's a great snow hunt for tasty elk cows.

With wolves decimating the herd, it has gradually dwindled from 2500+ tags in 2000 to 100 tags next year, and no more late hunt after 2005.

Last year my sons drew two of about 1400 2-day cow tags. We hired an outfitter for $200 per day per hunter, including our tip. Guiding only, no extras, but he treated us great, and it's the only way we could afford a guided hunt. He got a lot of volume during this hunt, needless to say.

Glad we got the memories and elk shooting lessons while we could.

Down with wolves.

One son tagged first day, the other the next. Dad, of course, gets them both. My son's hunts are more fun than mine by a long shot! (pun intended)

We didn't have a rangefinder, but paced it afterwards, then had to allow for the steep valley. Pacing was about 230 yards.

Old 01-16-2005, 10:14 PM

sounds good to me, ought to drop an elk.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great story for a great hunt. Thanks for sharing!! What pretty country, reminds me of where I hunt here in E. Wash. Man, I wish I was elk hunting right now!