Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Looking for a new Bow for elk.

Old 01-21-2005, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking for a new Bow for elk.

Thanks guys for all the info,I have decided on these 2 bows
1.The Reflex Grizzly (around 600.00)
2.Ben Pearson Bulldog( around 700.00)

These options are what I have in mind
Trophy Ride Flatliner 5 pin
QS Wisker biscut
Alpine soft loc quiver
Shurz-a quick peep
Phantom 100 gr 4 blade broadhead
1 1/2 dzn Gold-tip arrows
Simbs limb savers
String Leaches
Vibracheck stabilizer
Tru-fire realese
teflon cable guides
Neet braid sling.
Now the ? I have is the fleatching,straight or off set,or 4 degree twist.
They come fully tuned,and sighted 15,25,35 yards garunteed to shoot 2 in groups.
Thanks for the link to Hunters freind they are agreat bunch of guys.
Let me know if I'm over looking something.
Thanks BBJ
Old 01-21-2005, 07:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I suggest you put as much helical on your arrows as you can get. If they won't put a full helical then get as much offset as you can get.

The more helical or offset the more wind they catch and the quicker the arrow is straight and the more control they will have over the broadhead.

I reccomend feathers over vanes also. Better arrow flight and more durable than vanes.

I really like everything you have listed with the exception of the flatliner sight. Not worth it IMHO. A better choices would be a Montana Balck Gold dusk devil. This is a very rugged sight with a 100% full lifetime warranty. Other good choices would be Cobra, Toxonix, Tru Glow.

I am assuming that you will be hiking and stalking elk and you will likley be shooting with the quiver on. You may want to consider going with a permanant two piece quiver. This will offer better protection for your arrows as it will grip them much closer to the fletching and be much more rigidly attached to your bow. Either way make sure you practice with the quiver attached. If you sight in with it off you will likley be 2 - 6 inches off from where you sighted in with it attached.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:13 AM
Typical Buck

BBJ, I was told years ago you can't shoot broadheads with straight fletching, CRAP! I have been shooting straight fletch for over 10yrs with my 130 muzzys. You will not have a clearance problem with straight fletch, but tuning must be perfect. Don't be afraid to play with it to get the arrow flight you need. Which vane size you choose will make a difference also. 3" 4" 5"?
Gselkhunter
Old 01-23-2005, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Guys, I finally found a computer to use. My new one still hasn't come in yet so sorry for the delayed response. I am trying to catch up on all the latest gossip.

I choosing any hunting bow I would look at one based on shootability. As far as I am concerned you can throw speed right out the window. When elk hunting I am sure that all of the seasoned elk hunters here can attest to shooting from less than ideal shooting positions. I want the bow to cover up form flaws the best that it can. There is not one archer on this planet that can shoot to the capacity of his or her bow. However there are things that can bring one closer to that capacity. Huntersfriend.com can show you the bow comparisons. You can sort by forgiveness and compare the bows that you have mentioned. Shoot all of those that fit the bill both dollar wise and also forgiveness wise and find out the best that works for you. Shorter draw length guys can usually get away with shorter brace heights. Taller guys like myself need longer brace heights because of the longer draw lengths.

gselkhunter- I have one sight set to 120 yards. If a guy can lay them in there at those yardages, 20 yards is a breeze. Of course I would never take a hunting shot that far but long range practice helps tremenousely with confindence.

elknut- I see why you want to go to a recurve. An increase of speed will help out alot.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

120 I like that! Form, Tuning, Practice, makes for good bowhunters!
Gselkhunter