Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Looking for a new Bow for elk.

Old 01-14-2005, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Looking for a new Bow for elk.

When you are talking speed it is the arrows speed, yes to question one.
As for the sight, I would stay with the five pin set. I set pins very different than anybody I know. For yardage on pins I set them at; 25yds,40yds, 50yds,60yds,70yds&80yds. Thats right I have 6 pins in my sight window. I do practice at 80yds. If I can keep 6 arrows in a 6" circle at 80yds, my form is right where I want it. I stump shoot in the hills all summer, and I don't use a range finder. Steel Force are good broadheads, it is a good choice. I can't tell you what carbon arrows to buy I don't use them. Someone else will have to help you with that BBJ.
Gselkhunter
Old 01-14-2005, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

BBJ---The setup you mention except for the bow is dang near identical to mine. Don't be to awful concerned with speed as many have mentioned. My bow is a 1991 hoyt pro-force with fastflite limbs, (good ones) it's equipped with a 7 arrow quiver attatched to the limb bolts, it's very solid and quiet. I carry 5 broadheads and 1 field-tip when hunting! I use a NAP quicktune 2000 fallaway rest, a trophy ridge vertical pin sight, and magnus stingers 125grn 4-blade.

I used to use aluminum arrows but switched 10 years ago, will never go back! I've tried many different ones, all perfomed just fine. Currently I'm shooting Gold Tips 7595 with a slight right hand helical with a 125 head. Aprox. 425 grn. It's a stout setup with very tough arrows. I highly reccomend them for elk. You will normally loose them before you ever bend or break one.

As for my sight, I use 2 pins, one at 20yds the other at 40yds. I do this because under tense situations there's no confusion with which pin to use or split. I find it less nerve racking when a choice has to be made quickly. I also use a rope release along with an ultra nock, don't care for the string loops. My setup would probably chrono out at 235-240fps. --- (quit laughing Elkcrazy8 & gselkhunter!!)

ElkNut1
Old 01-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Practicing at 80 yards is certainly great practice and it does make those 20, 30, and 40 yard shots a piece of cake. But I would never try to hunt with that many pins. My brain would short circuit trying to decide which pin to pick when a bull comes charging in. Shots at elk with archery equipment over 40 yards is pretty uncommon.

Yes about the speed. You can look at either the IBO or AMO speed ratings. The AMO is standardized and will give you a better number to compare different bows. IBO speed ratings are typically given with nothing but a tieed in nock on the string and nothing else. Also some manufacturers tend to inflate these numbers too. It is still a good indicator of speeds from bow to bow.

Excelent choice on broadhead selection.

Do not worry about how long your arrows are just yet. When you get your bow all picked out and get t set up for you the pro shop guy will have you draw the bow with an uncut arrow and mark and cut them to the proper length. A 30 inch draw does not mean a 30 inch arrow. I have a 30 inch draw but my arrows are only 29 inches long and that still gives me about 3/4" past the rest.

You do get what you pay for with arrow to some extent. IMO Carbon express terminator select arrows are one of the better carbon arrows made. They will give you a finished weight of about 485 grains with three feathers and a 125 grain head @ 29" long. This is a very good weight and will give you a very good ballance between speed and available KE.

ACC's are an excelent shaft but will run you about $120 for a dozen. Gold tip makes a good shaft as do a number of others.

What you want to look for in a carbon shaft is...................

Straightness, I prefer to use shafts with a rating of +-.003" or better.

Matched weight in shafts. Some manufacturers will offer better matched weights within a dozen shafts. You should be aboe to find them within +-3 grains per dozen.

Consistand spine over the length of the shaft is another impotrant factor but few manufacturers actually publish this. Black hawk arrows claims +-.75 Newtons. What ever that means.

Many people like the camo arrows. I have yet to spook an animal with a black arrow and actually use white crest wraps with white and Flo. yellow feathers. Unless you want the added weight I would forget about it. I doubt the elk will care either way.

I highly reccomend feathers for fletching. They give you better FOC and stabilize an arrow much faster than vanes do. I use to shoot with vanes but since switching to feathers I get much better and consistand arrow flight.

Just a little side note.... With the bows you mentioned you should be getting better speed than Elknut too boot.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

I like all my pins! And all the 3D shooting I did for years added a few, 70 & 80yds. I have not used the wrong pin yet, but I have miss judged the yardage and missed. When I am hunting I only use the top 2 for the most part. But I have a ram because I can judge distance and practice at long range! Side note, I used to shoot with some of the Olympic shooters at 90 meters, they kicked my butt!
BBJ, the real point for me is to be comfortable with my set up and I am. I shoot an overdraw on my bows, that takes 4 inches of arrow off, that turns a 30" arrow into a 26" arrow, or I would be shooting as slow as Elknut1. But speed isn't a big deal at 20yds on a bull elk, puting the shot where it needs to go is the big deal. And to get consistant arrow flight everything needs to be matched and tuned to the Nth degree. But I am a little extreme, because if my broadheads won't group at 80yds, I don't trust them at 20yds. But you are on tract for making a great set up.
Gselkhunter
Old 01-14-2005, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

Not really sure of my speed, just an estimate!! I too shoot 26"-1/4 arrows. It could be quicker, I know I can't outrun them!! I too have shot 70-80yds and it's great practice. Most shots are under 30 yds with our bows. For instance of the 6 archery kills this season we averaged less than 20yds per shot. But we're prepared for 40yds.
ElkNut1
Old 01-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

gselkhunter, I hope it didn't sound like I was talking bad about your set up cause I wasn't. I was just commenting on how my luck is I'd surely pick the wrong pin.[8D]

I reread it and I thought I'd clarify just in case.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

BBJ

This is all good info. These guys just aint archers there hunters who have walked alot of ground and killed a lot of elk. You like PSE well I shoot a PSE Scorpion at 70lbs with Carbon Vapors 4000 with 100gr Magnus Stingers killed a raghorn elk at 40 yards pass threw this year.

gselkhunter

I'm glad to see some one else who has an 80yard pin I do also from 20 to 80 . I have a friend who shoots for team Hoyt in field targets and they shoot a 100yds and very well . He talked me into shooting longer distances I thought he was nuts but if you practice alot and know your bow you can be very deadly at that range . I havent posted this yet only because when I tell people they look at me like I have two heads I killed a cow 3 years ago at 70 yards it sounds like a tall tell but I didnt even think twice about the shot the biggest thing is to know the distance if you know the distance and done the practice its not as hard as every body thinks. That is why I wont leave home with out my lazer range finder.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:55 AM
Typical Buck

Bigbulls, no need, lots of people think I am wako for having that many pins. But I use all of them stump shooting. Learning to shoot up, down hill or across draws or even through shadows in the trees to fine tunes me. And bottom line when I can hit the hair on an elk that I am aiming at, I am showing the elk the most respect I can by a clean fast kill. And that is very important to me. If I am going to take it's life, I want to do it right. So I work hard at it. I know you and Elknut1 and Elkcrazy8 and a lot of the other guys here understand that. Passion & respect make for good hunters.
Gselkhunter
Old 01-15-2005, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't tell you what bow is the best? I can tell you I hunted with a PSE ThunderBolt for 6-years. I liked my PSE but I wanted a new bow. (not sure why?) After shooting several bows I picked the Darton Typhoon.
I would look on ebay for a used PSE if I were you. The resale value of a used bow is very low.

I prefer heavy arrows & heavy broadheads for elk hunting.

Good Luck,

WK
Old 01-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

BBJ,
I'm glad you asked this question!!! For I to have been LOOKING at bows and opinions on set-ups forever!!!. Only this would be my first bow.........And who better to ask than.............. ELK !!! HUNTER'S !!!

Big Bulls is right. Have a look at www.huntersfriend.com This is absolutly the most informative site I have found.
I also just bought a Reflex Grizzly pkg from these guys!! EVERYTHING!!!!!!!! You need is included and you can't beat the price!!!! If you don't like something in the pkg they will change it for you. Look at all of the info and it will surely help!

When do I get to hunt with Big Bulls???

Bill

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.