Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.50 BMG

Old 01-12-2005, 02:57 PM

Default .50 BMG

I got a quick question for y'all. I'm trying to decide on which firearm to get next. Cabela's sells a drop in barrel, etc. to convert an AR-15 style rifle to shoot the BMG. Here's the question: Are there any ethical problems with using the BMG on elk, moose, bear and the like? It won't be used on anything smaller such as deer except maybe a 'yote. I understand about being able to shoot it, the recoil and the like. Supposing I can handle it what are the ethical implications of using the .50?
Old 01-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .50 BMG

I don't see any thing unetical about it.It's a BIG,BIG, gun to pack around,shells are exspensive,and optics are to.It is shurly up to the task of handling them at long,long range farther that I care to shoot.The biggest problem I see is a good hunting bullet that won't destroy 1/2 of what you shoot and will hold up at ranges of 200-500 yds.

Now here comes my problem with it,I like to hunt and by that I mean get close as I possibly can,match my skills with the animal I hunt.If I can sneak up to Mr.Elk in his bed and dispatch him while he is still sleeping,not knowing what just happened.To me thats hunting,tracking him,watching him,know his moves so well he thinks that I'm a elk.
If you like the chalange of killing from 2000 yds thats fine but from where I come from thats sniping not hunting.
BBJ
Old 01-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to use BMG so you can take 1000yd shots then I would say you don't respect the game much as its still too easy to pull a bad shot and blow a leg off an animal at those ranges. If you limit yourself to a range where you can actually hit where you aim then go ahead and get your jollies, can't understand it but to each his own.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

The only question of ethics in this application is you making sure that you can cleanly kill the animal that you are shooting at. So assuming that you can cleanly kill the animal then go for it. It may not be for everyone but if you like this kind of thing then go for it.

IMO it matters little what caliber you use as far as ethics goes. Except for using a smaller than adequate cartridge.

Many people use rifles with larger bores than 50 and don't question their ethics.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

It was just a matter of when. It will do if you can't find anything bigger.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of mine killed a Pronghorn with a .50 Cal. BMG at 760 yds. He hit it center of the body right behind the shoulder. He lost no meat. If you have the skill to take that kind of shot, go for it. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:25 AM

What I'm hearing, and I could very well be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time), is: out of respect for the animal, save it for the shooting range...?
Old 01-13-2005, 08:42 AM

If it is legal to do so and you become proficient with it, go for it. No such thing as overkill, but I have seen underkill.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nanook85:

You probably need to carefully consider the backdrop to your shot. Even a perfect hit is liable to exit the animal with very substantial energy and residual damage potential.

Just another thought, is using a .50 BMG something the anti-hunter crowd can grab hold of to make hunters look bad? I don't know, but if I were considering an unorthodox hunting tool I would take this into consideration.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:10 AM

Let's face it the anti hunting crowd would use any excuse to make hunters look bad. Not using a .50 BMG to satisfy their warped sense of the world isn't going to change things. I think we ought to just go about our sport and not try to kowtow to our sworn enemies. I think it is safe to say that Republicans winning two presidential elections and increasing thier control of Congress hasn't changed the way the Democrats go about the game of politics one little bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.