Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana's Governor wants to kill the bison hunt.

Old 01-07-2005, 11:42 AM

Default RE: Montana's Governor wants to kill the bison hunt.

I agree with Montana Bob. The bison that now roam out of the park, are shot and killed by the FWP. So why not give the people that fund the FWP a chance to draw a tag and harvest the problem animals. It not only gives back to the primary funders and backers of the FWP (hunters), it helps raise a ton of money for them. With the $4 applicaiton fee that was charged to apply for the bison hunt, how many people applied. A recent article stated that 8,200 people applied that gives FWP an additional $32,800 just for holding the drawing. Now you add in the $75 fee for residents, and $750 for non residents and it gives them even more money. Who cares about the bad publicity, the anti's don't fund the FWP. If hunters don't shoot the bison the FWP will and so what's the difference, they get the publicity or we do. It is the same situation either way you look at it. Down with Schweitzer.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:28 PM

Default RE: Montana's Governor wants to kill the bison hunt.

Now I'm angry. After giving the Gov (who I did not vote for) the benefit of the doubt with my earlier posting, I feel stupid. This is really messed up.

I heard him say that it would make more sense to hold a hunt next year on more land with more tags, say 300 or so. 10 tags never did make sense.

10 tags was not worth the bad publicity risk, but 300 tags is. Bring it on. Not a bad idea to delay in order to expand and not anti-hunting, I sez to myself.

Welp, I just read the Montana FWP Site, and if I read correctly, all they've done is delay the hunt until Nov, on more land, but still with only 10 tags!!???!! I hope that ain't right.

It was also very underhanded to get this done by putting new commissioners on duty that would cancel the previous decision.

Live and learn.