Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Are hunting shows stabbing us in the back?

Old 12-23-2004, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default Are hunting shows stabbing us in the back?

I enjoy watching hunting shows on tv like alot of hunters out there. I saw a show a few weeks ago where a guy was hunting elk in Canada on a ranch hunt with bow and arrow. He ended up shooting a real nice bull but the hit was not a good hit. He hit the bull in the rear leg, which can be a killer shot but I would classify that as a bad hit. He was quietly celebrating the hit as a good hit in which he says hit the femoral artery. My question is, are we giving the wrong impression to the "non-hunters" out there, which I believe lean more toward pro-hunting than anti-hunting. I don't think non-hunters as they sit there channel flipping and coming across these shows will understand whats being portrayed here as ethical hunting. Are we selling our hunting heritage out, by showing the blood, and gore on tv for all to see?
Old 12-23-2004, 09:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Are hunting shows stabbing us in the back?

It would sure do hunters no good to show bad shooting or game suffering. Thats the kind of things the Anti's thrive on. Non hunters don't understand the concept of hunting being a harvest to keep game populations in check. One bad example from a hunter will wipe out ten positive acts.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:19 AM

i agree hunter59 i have watched some pretty rediculous episodes
Old 12-24-2004, 02:57 PM
Typical Buck

I saw that show and just shook my head.But It happens all to often.
As far as the blood and gore it's reality. I was watching Jackie Bushman the other day hunting in Montana. He came across some sick deer and was showing the deer suffering from mother nature. I thought is was sad for the deer but good in a sense.( It was said that the animals were later HUMANLEY dispatched) It showed reality and how we as hunters take game in a very quick manner as opposed to mother nature.
We need to see more of mother natures work to educate the non- hunting public. How All animals pray on each other and the slow death than can result.
I would like to see a hunting show backed up with a show of natures way of culling the herd.It might open some eyes with a little more graphics
Old 12-24-2004, 05:11 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree with you Montana Bob. Nature is the cruelest killer of all. I hunt mostly by still hunting and tracking and the average show depicts shooting house hunting over a food plot. That type of hunt is fun to watch on TV but not realistic in the North East. Even though I have respect for all types of hunting and applaud the tV channels for offering the shows which have to promote interest. Merry Christmas everyone and good hunting/ fishing.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:33 PM

All I watch on tv is that freak Tred Barta on OLN that guy is a nut when it comes to outdoors....anyone know what he does for a living??
Old 12-25-2004, 06:20 PM

I agree totally w/ showing the true mother nature, not the disney version. mother nature is indeed a cruel mistress. the average joe also thinks that nature "balances" out animal populations when in fact it runs in pretty dramatic population peaks and valleys. They dont understand that when you have a winter range with enough food to feed 100,000 elk has 125,000 elk show up, they think 25,000 starve when in fact they ALL do well for most of the winter, then run out of food late and nearly ALL starve. Then the predators starve the following year because there is no prey so their pop crashes also, unless you have a yellowstone wolf situation where they are so numerous and efficient they could finish the herd off.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:20 PM

ORIGINAL: moosehunter25

All I watch on tv is that freak Tred Barta on OLN that guy is a nut when it comes to outdoors....anyone know what he does for a living??
He mentioned it on another show recently. I think he said he sells commercial planes. He really needs to try some decaf.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:12 PM

When was the last time you saw a show about wildlife management and its positive effect on game populations? When was the last time you saw a show that was intellectually honest with its' viewers and not skewed or one-sided in its presentation (including hunting). Whe was the last time you saw an educational program about hunting, hunters, and their important contributions as conservationists and funding sources for our nations parks, wildlife, and various governmental agencies?

I come up with zero. Anyone else?

Ant
Old 01-03-2005, 12:13 AM
Typical Buck

I think a hunting show done in the right "spirit" is a very positive thing even with the kill included however I am going to do a 180 on some of my posts from the past and say I don't think we should include the kill shot anymore. Keep em on the DVD's and vidoes but the Outdoor Channel is becoming to big a business and the tastefulness that accurately portrays true hunting ethics and it's heritage is all but lost on 90% of the shows on the channel. Quite frankly I'm getting pretty sick of it really. Now I'll admit it I still watch the channel because it's still better than the other crap on TV. But some of those shows are getting down right disgusting on how they portray hunters. Watched a show today where a guy took a shot on a running mule deer. One shot kill right through the corn hole. OUCH!! The camera came up and showed blood all over the ground coming out of, well let's call it the entrance wound. They were bragging a bit about how good of a shot it was. The shot was taken and the deer was down but an ethical show I would think would at least say that's not the shot you want and a lesson should have been learned.

Quick Reply: Are hunting shows stabbing us in the back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.