Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Are hunting shows stabbing us in the back?

Old 01-03-2005, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Are hunting shows stabbing us in the back?

I do tend to watch alot of hunting shows in the winter months and hate that too when you know they made a bad shot and they lie about it. As if we can't figure it out. I don't like the shows where they act like a bunch of idiots as it makes hunters like the same. There are two out there I do like right now and they are "The Best Of The West" and "Eastman's Hunting Journal" as they seem to have the hunting I like and are respectful of the animals from what I've seen.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:26 PM

The shows are entertainment plain and simple. Those that put them on have one goal in mind, make money. I have the Outdoor Channel and enjoy most of it as entertainment and nothing else. Many of the shots and hunts are staged. Guides finish off game, off camera, many canned hunts, and every thing is set up. I am not slamming them or canned hunts it is just the way it is. You have to produce, deadlines, sponsers, a lot is on the line to be succesful.

Some are good, some are so-so. None stand out that I would mention. I have met a couple of the guys that have thier own shows, I have met guides that have taken some of the celebreties. I also feel they do hunting an injustice, some reasons are, stictly trophy hunting, fenced hunting, kill and only kill. They are no different than most of us. They have just found a way to make a living what most of us love doing.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Typical Buck

But are we persuading "non-hunters" to lean more toward anti-hunting by showing these shows on television. In the responses I have seen on this post, alot of these hunters don't like the broadcast of hunting shows. Whether its the showing of blood, the poorly hit animals, or the bad portrayal of hunters in general. What kind message are we sending the non-hunters and are we changing there point of view and pushing them toward anti-hunting? When I am talking to a person I know to be a non-hunter, and they ask me, I may tell them that I have shot a deer, but I don't elaborate in how the deer reacted to the shot and how far I had to track it, or how poorly the shot was! I want them to look upon what I am doing as a needed conservation tool to keep populations in check. I'm afraid these shows are giving to much information to the people we least need to offend. They are on our side, lets keep it that way. Time will tell!
Old 01-05-2005, 07:50 PM

I agree! The wrong message is being sent, best to keep it between us, the less the anti's know the better off we all are. Look at Germany, hunters are a very respected segment of thier society. Yaeger Miester, Master Hunter. Very respected, no shows over there.

The intent of 90% of the shows is for commertialization and personal gain.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:23 PM

A little like rather be huntin, I waffle on both sides of the show kill or don't show kill. I watch Outdoor channel til my family throws me out. It is entertainment, but as long as you remember that, it's better stuff than other TV.

I also respect and like Eastman's. They're entertainment, too, but tasteful and show hunting the way I wish all mine could be. No rock n' roll or funny weird camera effect stuff. Some high fives, but no dancing over the kill. I guess if they think it's alright to show kill, I'll go with them. If I could improve one thing on Eastman, they should show and talk more about meat, like Zumbo. Eastman is all racks, like there's no meat under the hide.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:59 PM

I enjoy watching the hunting shows on TV but my wife is not a hunter and when she comes accross one she just changes the channel. And, I think this is precisely what almost all television watchers do when they stumble on a hunting show since they are totally uninterested in it. Therefore, since only people who are interested in hunting watch these shows I think it is unlikely that non-hunters, who are going to be non-viewers, will be offended by these programs. However. there is the danger with particularly graphic footage that it might be used in campaigns by groups opposed to sports hunting to whip up anti-hunting sentiment among the non-hunting public. While this may be copyrighted material, who knows what its owners might do if offered enough money for it.

Californiadoctor
Old 01-12-2005, 07:39 PM

Calif Doc, that's the most sensible argument yet. I think you're right. Most people who don't like it will just shut it off. I have known a few neutrals who actually have come to hunting because they like what they see on the shows. Must be what the shows are counting on. I'm sure some of them do consumer research.

It's a contradiction - We want more hunters to share and support the sport, but I don't want more of them chasing my deers and elks.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:23 PM

Very true. I enjoy the shows in the off season but are they projecting the wrong message. Many people think hunters shoot for the horns not the meat. Furtherest from the truth! But shows project that.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:11 PM

Randy L, I agree. I also think that another unfortunate concept that these programs tend to promote is that if you don't make a kill, preferably setting some new B&C record, the hunt was somehow a failure. My personal belief is that if I get to do a day of hunting it has been a success whether I get anything or not. The joy of having the opportunity to hunt should be emphasized at least as much as bagging a trophy animal.

Californiadoctor
Old 01-18-2005, 08:55 AM

The answer lies in the proverbial thought that we never show shows of kills on the slaughter house floor because it would put the beef business out of business yet 85% of the US eats a hamburger at least once per week. I think we can have the shows without showing those parts.

Quick Reply: Are hunting shows stabbing us in the back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.