Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Finally did the right thing.

Old 12-13-2004, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default Finally did the right thing.

After better than 25 years of fogged bicno's, out of focus--massive headaches---just pieces of pure crap. I took the plunge & got a pair of Leica's 7x42. What a difference------should have done this 20 years ago. Definetly will use them this elk season & if the stars are aligned---A Colorado bighorn.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Finally did the right thing.

I never have looked through a pair of those. I am about due for a new pair though. I have been using some cheap tasco ones for many years. My eyes are not as good as they once were and this year I had a little trouble seeing well with my old ones.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

I'll admit I never have looked through expensive glass but the cheaper ones have never bothered me. I have 20-15 vision and I don't know if that has anything to do with or not. But I can buy a 30 dollar pair of glass and it seems as clear as day to me. No headaches, no straining, no problems as long as I get the focus on both eyes matched up.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:28 PM

Good glass is kind of like good taxidermy work. It's hard to know a bad one until you see a really good one. Then you become an optics and taxidermy snob like me and your wife yells at you a lot because you spend too much money!!
Old 12-15-2004, 11:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too was always buying cheap Bushnell and Tasco Binocs and April of 2002, I bought my last pair. (for a while anyway) I bought a pair of Wind River 10x42's. I was so amazed at the difference!!! My next pair will be a pair of Swarovski 7x32's I believe is the numbers. I will get these after I finish paying a few things off, as that $1000 price tag is quite hefty right now, lol. I just want something that is a little lighter to hunt way back in, but that still offers me at least 4mm of exit pupil.

EDIT: The binocs are the 8x32 EL's
Old 12-16-2004, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO: The most important item I own for hunting are my binos. I did it the same way you did. I hunted with cheap binos for years. Last year I bought a Swarovski spotting scope & a pair of Swarovski binos. I wish I would have bought them years ago.
You just can't go wrong with quality optics.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

Really good choice, I have a pair of 8X42 Pentax DCF waterproof, good but not as good Leica. If I had the money I would go for a 10X42 Leica.
Gselkhunter
Old 12-16-2004, 08:23 PM
DM

Good glass is kind of like good taxidermy work. It's hard to know a bad one until you see a really good one.
I agree!! I bought a pair of Zeiss mini's, and then later a pair of 8x30 Swarovski's, and what a treat they are!!! I've had some very good cheaper bino's, but you won't get my Swarovski's away from me!!!!

Those of you that have 3, 4 or more guns and cheapo bino's, sell one or two guns, and get some good glass!!!! It's a good trade, and you will see what i mean if you do it!!!

DRilling Man
Old 12-16-2004, 09:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I could split a pair with someone. I only have one eye so I don't need both sides. I only have the left eye.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:56 PM
DM

I could split a pair with someone. I only have one eye so I don't need both sides. I only have the left eye.
Why mess up good bino's?????? Why not just borrow another eye instead??????????? :&gt

Drilling Man

Quick Reply: Finally did the right thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.