Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

1st time elk hunt, where do I start?

Old 12-24-2004, 01:06 AM

Default RE: 1st time elk hunt, where do I start?

i would seriously recomend and outfitter if your new to the sport, or at least somebody who has the experience, i would take up justhuntitalls invite.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:22 PM

Hello evenyone, I just joined this site and am in the same situation as szap. Difference is I recently moved to Montana. Now that I live in an elk hunting area I have no choice but to go.

Awhile ago I got the elk hunting regulations...125 pages long! Now I'm really confused. I'll be rifle hunting and have to go somewhat close to Butte (won't be able to devote as much time as I would like due to school)

If anyone has any experience in this area any advise to locations and the amount of hunting pressure would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:52 PM

I am in the same position as cornhunter and szap. I want to hunt for elk and have heard stories about hunting elk during the rut. But as far as i can tell all the rifle seasons are after the rut. My dad went to colorado a couple of years ago during the rifle season and got a nice 5 by 5. I have hunted whitetails with a bow and have shot a couple of does and passed on some smaller bucks. I was thinking about going to Colorado on a do it yourself hunt because of the elk population but am open to suggestions. I would greatly appreciate any information. Thanks
Old 01-18-2005, 06:36 PM

One more vote for get in shape! The best part about elk hunting to me is knowing I'm on a hunt I need to be in shape for. It's real hunting.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:10 PM

Im not worried about being in shape. Im a starting running back for my high school football team. Is there much of a elk population in idaho. I was reading something that said you can rifle hunt there during the rut. Would it be worth going there over Colorado. I was also reading that more shots with the bow are over 45 yards than under. Is this true. Thanks for the information.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:28 PM

Lotta restin' in football, maybe you oughta take up cross country.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

dribowhuntingfool, I don't know what info you were reading but it is way wrong. I would say that most of the shots (at elk) are under 25 yards and I would say 90% or more are under 40 yards. I understand that you are new at this, so no problem ask away with any question. I will say that if a bowhunter can't get under 30 yards to shot at an elk then they are a lousy hunter and shoud choose another sport. My last three bow kill elk were all under 20 yards, 15, 3, and 18 yards. The longest shot I have taken is 35 yards at a spike bull. He had his head down feeding, the arrow ziped right through him and he jerked his head up for a bit, looked around for danger and then went back to feeding. He only went about 20 yards at most, feeding the entire time until he passed out and died. As a archery education instructor we teach students to limit themself to 40 yards max for any game. Its good advice and I followed it before being a instructor. With time you'll understand that the closer you get the more exciting it gets. There nothing, and I mean nothing that compares to the thrill and pure rush that comes into your body when you are 10, 5 or 3 yars away from a elk. To be able to see all the small detail, the eyes and eye lashes, to see the chest expand and contract with each breath, and if its a bull when they bugle. WOW,,, I promise you that with your first up close experience with a bugleing bull, you will loose all control over your own body, you will not be able to walk or for some even stand. Its awesome and I hope you get to experience it someday. Your young, and with playing football I wouldn't worry about being in shape right now. Now in the furture afte H.S. and sports then yes youll need to keep in shape for elk hunting. I work construction and yet I am not in very good shape. It seem every elk season that the mountains and the elk kick my butt more and more. This past year after a hard day of hunting in which I did kill a bull, and hiked about 12 or so miles. Well lets just say that my body wast at its end and needed a rest. As far as elk in Idaho yes there are a lot, but not if the wolves keep killing them. Like elknut said its easy for out of staters get a tag, but you still have to do your homework to be successful, you'll have to do this in any state though. If you are planing a do it yourself hunt you have a lot of work to do before the actual hunt and the odds are that you'll come home empty handed. You can hire a good outfitter/guide like others have said, but even then they only promise a 50 or 60 percent chance at most on public ground. And expect to pay at least $3,000 on up to $10,000 depending on where you hunt, how long you want to hunt. What quality of hunt, meaning one on one with the guide or one guide and 4 or 6 hunters. Also depends if you only want a cow or if you want a trophy bull. Lots of options to choose from with and wihtout a guide. Hopefully this helps, idahoelkinstructor.