Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

My 2004 Season is done....Almost

Old 11-22-2004, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My 2004 Season is done....Almost

Well I would like to start off by saying hello to everyone,even EKM.I used to be a regular on this forum have gotten away from it lately.

I started this season with a hunt with one of our forum members,Hilbilly Hunter.He had never hunted elk befor and was wanting someone to go with him on his elk hunt,I invited my freind Clint with HillBillys permission. Clint and I were hunting mule deer and HillBilly was seeking both..This was a great hunt he didn't get his bull but we saw a few,I saw two good ones and a real monster the first morrning we went out(I had no permit).That first morrning I saw a definate shooter,but by the time I could get in to position 2 pick-up rolled right by him,he damn near ran it to the side of their pick-up.They were driving the ranch road and were road hunting.That evening HB,Clint and I went back to camp and decided to hunt a Big platue not far from camp.HB had seen a decent buck killed there the Sat. befor.We all found a glassing spot and started looking.It was getting close to dark when I figured no one was watching the far side.I hustled fast,to get there befor shooting light was over,befor I could get to a good spot I can see 6 deer coming out of the bottom and one is a HUGE buck,I could see horns 700 yards away.I get to the edge of the platue 400-450 yards away,and put the glasses on him,I see good tines and excelent mass.Thats all I need the rifle comes up,I grab a rest,feel my hart pounding in my ears,I pause move the crosshairs to the top of his back,squeeezzzz-BOOM!!!! the .338 jumps I lose sight for a 2nd I look through the scope in time to see him jump and kick.He dose not go down though,he starts slowly going up hill away from me,the dose run up and away.I jack another round hold alittle higher,BOOM!!! nothing happens,shoot again and again.He he still is not running but moving slowly away.I know he is hit but where,guts,leg.I shoot again he takes off running only about 50 yards and lays down about 70 yards from the crest of the hill.Then all of a sudden he jumps up and runs over the crest.Clint and HB come over and I explain what the situation is,we all agree in the morning to look for the buck.
Next morning we get up and grab our frame pack to go find the buck,after an steeeep decent to the bottom and around some cliffs and hills we come about were I last saw the buck go,we start looking for blood tracks or anything.Clint gose low and me and HB take high,we crest a small ridge and not 70 yds here is a nice mulie buck,quick look it's not the one I had shot at so I wisper to HB to see if he want's him a fast look and he is all the shakes and excited,the shooting sticks come out,the gun is resting and BOOM!!! the buck drops in it's tracks after a look at HB first mulie and some pic's he takes to 1/4 and boning it out and me and Clint keep looking.We never did find this buck and for that I'm sorry,I know I killed him but the country was rough and no sign of were he went he could of hid anywhere in 1000's of acres.
Try #2
After the hunt with HB and Clint I had a hunt with my sister and her family.We were chasing elk and deer.
We didn't see much the first day but bulls and all we had were cow tags.We changed areas the next day and right off we see 50-60 head about a mile off,we go in to a game plan to try and drive the elk trowds memders of our group to see if someone can gat a shot.About half way through the drive I see a lone doe in the bottom of a creek.I look for a buck but don't see one I watch her for a few more minutes still no more deer show.I cut above her and across a small platue and I look over the edge and my eyes about fall out[:-] here is a good buck with tall,tall tines not 100 yds,I drop to a knee put the crosshairs on his neck and Boom!!! he falls like a ton of bricks.I dress him out and finish the drive,no elk maybe tomarrow.After a long hard drag about 3 hrs worth of pulling and tuggin over sagebrush and rocks,i cut him in 1/2 throw the hind 1/4s over my shoulder and head for the truck,get there 45 min later,turn around and do it agiain with the head and horns.He measured 25 1/2 wide with a back tine of 23 inches long and a front of 26 long 4x4 very odd rack.

I will post my pic's of him with my elk story and pic's next week or later
this week.
BBJ
Old 11-22-2004, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My 2004 Season is done....Almost

tHat deer was more that 70 yds you a-hole (grin)--thanks bareback--I had a great time.
HB
Old 11-23-2004, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok,ok 80 yds

HB are ya going back?Keep your chin up you looked allitle down when you stopped by last week.

Thats what keeps you a live durring the off season,one more chance just one more chance.

BBJ
Old 11-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are right about one more chance--And what makes you kick yourself in the @ss is thinkin about blowin' an opportunity-which I'm sure I did-shot opportunity--and thinkin--if I had done it different. elk is definately a whole new ball game... I can't quit thinkin about it. Not gonna get to go back again unfortunately--just no more time or money--plus flying back to WV to spend time w/the family. I'll get to hunt while there a little. Definately hooked on elk after seeing them big boys--might put in for the bow tag in that same area next year and hunt them durin the rut--of coarse your welcome or welcome to make suggestions and hopefully we'll get together again--call me if you want to yote hunt this winter or anything or if you get up this way or want to duck hunt here any around the holidays
hb