Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Kodiak goat/New Forum member

Old 11-17-2004, 06:17 AM

Default Kodiak goat/New Forum member

Hello everyone I'm a new member to the forum and I thought I'd introduce myself and commend you all on an excellent info. resource and website! I killed this goat this year on Kodiak Island. I hit the goat 3 times and it still managed to run 300 yds to leap off a 500' cliff. Unbelievably tough animal. I was using a .300 Weatherby Mag. and all 3 hits were in the vitals. It was very close to dark when we finally made it to the dead goat so we decided to roll the goat part of the way down the mountain. We were reluctant to pack the meat and cape out in the dark so we quartered and skinned the goat and decided to come back in the morning. Alaska law states you can't take out the cape and horns until all edible meat has been packed out. We started up the mountain the next morning only to find one very large sow brown bear and cub on my goat carcass. We retreated down to more level ground to glass and asess the situation. For a while we couldn't see the bear and we were hoping she left. The next thing we saw was the bear coming out of the bush with a white life size goat cape in her mouth. She easily streaked across the side of the mountain with her cub following never to be seen again. The terrain she climbed, with the goat hide in her mouth, took her 5 minutes to get across. It took my guide and I four hours to negotiate. Talk about total disaapointment, after an unbelievable amount of effort and physical duress, mother nature has the last laugh.
I'm looking forward to sharing stories and asking questions with you all. Thanks for the oppurtunity to share this story.
Jim B.

Old 11-17-2004, 01:03 PM

Default RE: Kodiak goat/New Forum member

JsmesB67,

Welcome to the boards. I'm not a goat hunter but that is nice looking animal! That trip sounds like it was an adventure epic! When Big Game Hunting it is not uncommon for things to not always "go just right" and this sounds like one of those times. That goat just wasn't going to let you have the satisfaction of an easy "haul out" was he? Good thing you got right up to him and could touch him plus you got the picture. Must have also been awesome/problematic "running into" the islands more famous residents (Kodiak Browns)!

If I may ask, upon arriving in Kodiak, what did you find to be you most challenging obstacles and unforeseen surprises? If you were returning to Kodiak, what changes would you make (in general -- not necessarily the goat) given your hard won experience of this last trip?

Thanks for sharing,
EKM
Old 11-17-2004, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice goat--great story
hb
Old 11-17-2004, 07:35 PM

Nice goat! Losing your animals to bears are a drag. We had a grizzly eat two of our caribou this year, which was not a lot of fun. Ruined all of my nice game bags too. Luckily we got the rest of the caribou and the moose out without any bear trouble.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:43 PM

This was my second time visiting the Island. I was there last fall hunting Brown bears and Blacktails. The weather simply did not cooperate. We had fog to the ground 7 out of the 10 days alloted for the hunt. The biggest obstacles are the terrain and weather, The outfitter was excellent. Even though I did not get my bear I was able to harvest a really magnificent Blacktail buck the second to last day of the hunt. I never saw a legal bear during the ten dayas of the back pack hunt.
I can honestly say the only thing I would change is to get better in shape. I feel that no matter how much excercise you do you can't do too much. I'm in pretty good shape but the better the shape you're in the more enjoyable the hunt will be. Be prepared for some serious weather conditions.. we two man tent camped for 8 out of the ten days. Kodiak Island hosts a rain festival every year that starts on Jan. 1 and ends Dec. 31. Throw in some 60-80 mph wind and you got Kodiak. I'll be back for sure... I have to get that brown bear itch scratched while I'm still physically able!!!!! I will be using the same outfitter.
Jim B.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of ammo did you use? Good luck.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrates,Reminds me of a junk yard goat the neighbor had.Everytime you went to get auto parts he would stalk you and try and ram you in the butt
Old 11-18-2004, 04:21 AM

Normally I would have handloaded my ammo, but my work schedule didn't allow enough time for proper load developments so I used some Federal loaded 180 Gr. Nosler Partitions.
Jim B.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:32 AM
Fork Horn

That's a big animal. What's with the horns, did they get beat up in the fall?
What happens in this situation, do you get a crack at another one?
Well done, sounds like a hard hunt.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:23 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the story . Who was your guide and if you dont mind how much did it cost ?

And I would like to know when you guys hunt up there how do you get your meat home and hides if you fly from the lower 48?

What does it cost to get you stuff home?

Quick Reply: Kodiak goat/New Forum member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.