Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Kodiak goat/New Forum member

Old 11-26-2004, 05:43 AM

Default RE: Kodiak goat/New Forum member

How was the meat? No hide, no horns, no cape! How did the meat fare?
Old 11-26-2004, 07:03 AM

Both antelope and goats have true horns not antlers. There is an outer sheath that covers the horn. The inner part is actually part of the skull. The 500' fall must have blasted off the outer sheath. I never found them. It could have easily been repaired if the damn bear didn't steal my cape!!! According to Alaska law once you kill an animal the hunt is over. You can't protect your kill from another animal because you don't legally own it until it's out of the field. And you can't take the cape or horns out until all edible meat has been taken out.

ORIGINAL: Tim Buma

That's a big animal. What's with the horns, did they get beat up in the fall?
What happens in this situation, do you get a crack at another one?
Well done, sounds like a hard hunt.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Kodiman

How was the meat? No hide, no horns, no cape! How did the meat fare?
What we theorize happened was the sow and cub found the kill in the night. They fed on all the quarters and backstraps... We woke them up on our way up the mountain (breaking brush, sliding rocks, scent, etc.). The final insult was stealing the cape!!! Like I said totally surreal, Mother nature has the last laugh>>>>>>
Old 11-26-2004, 07:35 AM

ORIGINAL: justhuntitall

Thanks for the story . Who was your guide and if you dont mind how much did it cost ?

And I would like to know when you guys hunt up there how do you get your meat home and hides if you fly from the lower 48?

What does it cost to get you stuff home?
My guide was Brian Peterson and I highly recommend him.. He is a very hard working outfitter who does everything he can to insure client success.
The hunt was $5000.00.
Alaska air charges $50 per extra baggage (up to 50 lbs.), so some waxed fish boxes with well chilled meat are a breeze to handle at the airport. Baggages checked at your starting point are usually checked all the way through to your destination. I usually bring a good sized duffle to hold my fleshed and salted cape until I get home. I just check whatever I'm bringing home as an extra baggage and I've never had any problem. The trick with the meat is not to freeze it all the way. Just chill it down real good so it's starting to freeze. If dry ice is available all the better.
Good luck!!!!
Jim B.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:14 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info . I can use all the info I can get. Again thanks!
Old 11-27-2004, 08:02 PM

hey James, what area were you in? I hunted down around Zachar River in 2003 for goats. I plan on going back this fall if the permit falls my way again.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Bear Grease

hey James, what area were you in? I hunted down around Zachar River in 2003 for goats. I plan on going back this fall if the permit falls my way again.
Sorry so late getting back to you. I've been out muzzleloader hunting and I got my first deer of the season. I was hunting near Ugak bay. If you need outfitter info. let me know.
Jim B.