Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

finally saw them--hooked on elk hunting

Old 11-16-2004, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default finally saw them--hooked on elk hunting

1st year hunting elk--was over at ft peck for the second elk hunting/camping trip--4 days of hunting--on the last trip had seen lots of sign, some cows and raghorns at 4:30 a.m. in the road, and one of my companions had seen 2 bulls--I had yet to see any elk while on the ground with gun in hand. On our second morning there were 4 of us glassing from the knob ( the rest were hunting mule deer--I had the only elk tag). THEN one of my friends spotted them (8:30 am)--3 bulls--all at least 5x5 and one looked to be much larger. They were probably 1.5 miles from us against a clear spot on a wooded knob. We started after them (two of us) and got to a creek bottom halfway (10 am)--we glassed there and saw a bull probably 800 yds away--on posted land though. but we thought he might go up this brushy draw and bed down so we went around and tried to come in behind them--he had disappeared. the wind was heavy and swirling now annd it was 50 degrees--we decided to back out and get in their early in the morning. That evening we went back over to the original knob that we glassed from and saw them again come back out to the SAME FREAKIN PLACE at 4pm--I kicked my self in the butt and am still doing it because it would have been a chip shot to have been set up waitin on them ( this was a painful lesson). Next morning we (two of us) went in their and saw their beds and lots of sign but they never showed up. The next morning I went in by myself to the same spot and this time heard all three of them calling--each called once--first one chuckled at 6:45 second gave a short bugle at 7:30 and I heard the last short bugle? at 8:30--sat there until noon then had to go. I keep thinking back to the first sighting of them and how awesome they were and my tactical error is knawing at me--I'll probably have to have therapy--I probably made a second error when I heard them that morning and did not chase them but instead waited at a vantage point for one of them to appear--I thought for sure it would happen. I cant quit thinking about them--I feel like I finally have found a place where I can get one. I am desperately going to try to get back for another 3-4 days at least--probably camp and hunt by myself--might have to give up my trip home (WV) to see my family for another shot--any comments or suggestions? I hope this has not been to boring of a read.

Muley69--we continue to see 24-26'' bucks, two of my companions missed one each
Old 11-16-2004, 09:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: finally saw them--hooked on elk hunting

Looks like you're hunting them with a rifle and are having a tough time getting close enough for a shot before they move off to their beds. That's a great sign that they're doing a little calling early in the morning. These elk can be called! Before I did that if at all possible I'd do what I could do to ambush these elk since you've kinda got their routine down. Hunting the bedding area is risky, as your wind will more than likely get to them before you ever see them. This can run elk out of an area. Sounds like these bulls are still hanging around though.

If this is out of the question, then I'd go to plan-B, that is to get in the area they're bedding in but not in the bedding spot!! Stay 200yds away or so and setup to call them over in your direction. --- I've been asked this question many times at this time of year, here's a copy of a calling senario that has proven very effective for others.

"At this time of year elk are on the move and regrouping for the most part since most of the bigger bulls are pulling away from the smaller breeding type herds they were in. This is a good time for the seperated & lost cow & calf sound both. There's a good chance other cows or bulls won't say much but will come over your way to check you out or to pick you up.

One of the best ways I like to hunt then is using "blind setups". If you know where elk are, (fresh sign) or coming or going to then setup aprox. in their vicinity and do this "blind calling" I use this method early in the season, (sept) and it will work well at this time as well. In Nov. --- Setup in a place where elk can't see you at a long distance but instead must come to check you out. (within rifle range) I give several different cow calls and inject a calf call or two as well. I make other elk think there's a small group out there that are still seperated from the main herds. So not only do I give social calls and some semi excited ones but also some seperated sounds as well, at this time it's also good to give some of the longer lost sounds as well but only a couple. Don't overdue it, a spike squeal thrown in randomly with some excitement is also a good sound to use, this whole scenario only need be 30-45 sec. and then off and on, on a lower key scale just to let other elk know you're still there and your position. Key to this setup is be patient and stay put, be willing to hang there for an HOUR. Remember, you're doing this in a known area that elk are around. Elk can hear a mighty long ways too. The more open the country the further!! If in an hour nothing shows up, move on and do it again, have faith it will work!! Good Luck!! Let us know what happens!!

In addition to this type of "blind calling" sometimes if in 20 min. or so nothing shows up, I use my gut feeling, I get a little more aggressive. What I do is throw in a raggy bull sound in the form of low gutteral growls and some dry huffing along with a slightly distressd cow call, this shows other elk that a small bull has found them and is annoying one of the cows. I really play it up and paint a picture for elk within earshot. At this time and in the regular calling senario I always do some stomping and breaking small limbs or thrash the brush lightly to make it sound like elk are feeding and moving around, you gotta make it real!!!! More times than not, other elk will come your way to see what's going on. And that's all you can ask for is a chance. ElkNut1