Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Forum!!!!!! Or What??

Old 11-23-2004, 10:11 AM

Default RE: Elk Forum!!!!!! Or What??

BackCountry1

Sorry to hear about Steven’s knee. The good news is he promptly notified you 9 months in advance of the hunt in a straight forward business like manner, so that you are not damaged and have significant time to redirect your resources. Good luck in your quest. In response to some points you raised earlier….

Your connection to Steven came on the heels of a thread I started in which we (Steven included) were discussing (cursing) the difficulty in finding capable and dedicated hunting partners who would “walk the walk” as well as “talk the talk”, ones who don’t leave you hanging “right at the finish line” [like the night before it is time to leave for the hunt], and one’s who are not more trouble to take than to just go alone without them. Such discussions may not come across as PC to many who hasn’t been there before…. May not espouse the “universal suitability” of all hunters, and may not come off as all lovey dovey…. You are free to label it as “cynical” if you wish; however, it is a reflection of real world experience of many of us who have “been there, done that” when the “soldiers” that were so “gung ho” in the spring for that fall elk hunt evaporate like the Iraqi police force when it comes “showtime”. After not seeing Steven for a few months, he jumped in participated in that thread (must have hit a nerve) and then made his “open offer” for elk partners for 2005 [hope springs eternal].

If one is at the theorizing stage of putting together his unguided first elk hunt, then one can create a world in which all is artificially perfect and everyone involved is ah, er, ahem, argh, …. of “similar competence and dedication.” Alas, cross over into “doing it” and get into a two week, time compressed, bring it all with you/take it all with you (quick), remote/away from home “do it yourself” big game hunt (not just independent mini-groups arriving and departing a camp zone while hunting in proximity to each other and perhaps sharing an evening campfire) and you’ll likely encounter the benefits of being ah, er, ahem, argh….. “selective.” If you’d be so kind, please drop us a line after your 2005 Elk hunt and bring us up to speed as to what actually happened (harvest-wise and people-wise)versus your expectations. Hopefully you won’t become “cynical” like myself and some others (below); however, it WAS just such a discussion that pre-staged your connection with Steven….

For your reference:
*** Partners [8-15-04]: page 2, post 2….
http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...5&mpage=2&key=

*** Hunting Trip Offer [8-28-04]: page 1, post 1
http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...&mpage=1&key=?

Good Luck and Good Hunting,

EKM
Old 11-23-2004, 10:12 AM

elknut1,

After weighing it over time, I like your idea of a separate Elk Hunting Division on this website.

I would be in favor of a dedicated elk site (ElkHunting.com).
I would be in favor of a dedicated big game site (caribou, moose, antelope, bears, sheep, goats, etc. [non-elk and non-deer] (BigGameHunting.com)
I would be in favor of mule deer and whitetail deer (and any other kind of deer) being covered under DeerHunting.com (what a concept).

EKM
Old 11-23-2004, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

EKM---Thanks! I agree that it's an idea worth considering. For instance look at the thread "No Elk Larry" because of the varied subjects all rolled into a Bigame Site, it's so far down the list that it's been swept under the "proverbial" carpet, and the ole boy is no better off than when he wrote for our help. It's because of the variety that is attracting folks of varied interest. That's great for the 'Site" but not for guys like "Larry".---To top it off it really took some "nuts" for him to let everyone know what a poor hunter he's been, but yet he wants to better himself. Hopefully some of us can chip in and change his tagsoup problem.

Congrats on yours and your sons elk too!!! You guys have it down to the point that we just kinda expect you to tag out each year!! That's a good thing. Not many can say that. ElkNut1
Old 11-27-2004, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

Do it! Elknut1 you feel this strongly about it, do it. I just lost my Father so I guess I didn't get my point across in right way. We have the base for the elk forum to get it started, go for it.
Gselkhunter
Old 11-27-2004, 08:35 AM

I'll bet that most of you, like myself, spend not more than a second at the main website before clicking over" to the bulletin boards. That is not the view that a first time visitor to the site sees IMHO,

At the main "Huntingnet.com" BEFORE you get into the Bulletin Boards it lists "communities" of interest....

Within each "community" it asks if you want to go to a "message board"....
When you do it takes you to the main forum (bulletin board) page:

Those who came from "deer" community at the "main page" find DeerHunting.com when they get here.
Those who came from "turkey" community at the "main page" find TurkeyHunting.com when they get here.
Those who came from "bow hunting" community at the "main page" find BowHunting.com when they get here.
Those who came from "waterfowl" community at the "main page" find WaterfowlHunting.com when they get here.
Those who come from "upland" community at the "main page" find UplandBirds.com when they get here.
Hell, even those who come from the "dog" community at the "main page" find SportingDogs.com

What do the people from the "Elk Community" at the "main page" find when they get here? Well, they find "elk hunting" rolled into the "catch all" category of BigGameHunting.com----

Now here comes the rub though, these other websites have people "doing the hunting" all over the country, in large numbers, at a comparatively low cost per hunt, Big Game is typically a "not in your backyard thing" (not in the local patch). Not many people actually do "big game hunting" (excluding deer and they have their own category ) outside of fantasy. BigGameHunting.com traffic numbers are low comparitively and Elk hunting is even a subset of that ---- I see why they leave elk hunting as the "anchor store" in the "catch all" category on the bulletin board side of things even though they use the idea of a "elk hunting" community as an attractant on their main page.

Interesting "advertising strategm" to get people deeper into the site. And so it goes....

EKM
Old 11-27-2004, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

EKM, I am going to get in touch with Admin to see what they say about the idea of a seperate Elk hunting forum. Personally I think its a great idea!
I'll send you an email.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:38 PM

Christine B,

Thanks, plus to give credit to where credit is due elknut1 is the one who started it.
In any case, I look forward to your email. Thanks.

EKM
Old 11-27-2004, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

EKM---I believe there's some truth to your theory there!! It only makes sense "if" the administration feels the other animals other than elk couldn't hold their own or have enough interest to keep the Site going. I think a "General Bigame" forum outside of an "Elk Forum" could easily hold its own, just look what a lot of the threads are right now!!

Not only that, but I firmly believe there's room for both on this Hunting Site. Just because there's an Elk FORUM, doesn't suggest the elimination of interest in other bigame animals. But "Elk HUNTING" is the dominant bigame animal sought after more than any other. And again I must refer to other Sites that have moved in this direction with awesome success. I would at least like to see a trial basis take place. I think it would be good for the site as well.---Thanks for your input!!

gselkhunter---I'm sure you probably were clear on your point, it's I who most generally misunderstand others! Thanks for your encouragement! All would benefit from an Elk Only Forum!!

Christine B---Thanks for any help you may be able to offer in this matter!! ElkNut1
Old 11-28-2004, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

Elknut1, Let me put it in one word PASSION, that is what elk hunting is about. It doesn't matter the tool used, gun or bow. This animal is so special, it gets into your brain. I love my bird hunting with my dogs and this is a good thing because my knees are failing me. But it will never have the place in my heart that elk hunting has, nothing else compares. There is good reason for it's own forum. When will this happen?
Gselkhunter
Old 11-28-2004, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

gselkhunter---Sorry to hear about your knees, those are pretty important to have in the elkwoods. I assume you have to just hunt a little smarter these days since penetrating the woods may be out of the question!! You're right on the nail head with PASSION, I believe most want it but don't have it, it's not something that can be bought. But boy howdy, once you have it, it's terminal!! I agree elk hunters are a different breed, you can be talking about other game animals and when you get to the word ELK, something seems to spark them and it shows.

At this time it was just a thought on having a Forum designated for Elk, I'd like to see it become a reality, too I can see there's been good support for it as well. I was wondering what others thought about the idea more than anything, I think it's time it stood on its own, there's no reason for the other bigame animals to ride on its shirtails any longer, they're strong enough to carry themselves. I believe everyone who frequents this "Site" as of now would still check-out an "Elk Forum" and participate and still continue to support the rest of the bigame forum. It's not like you're getting rid of something, just isolating Elk. Thanks for your comments!!--ElkNut1

Quick Reply: Elk Forum!!!!!! Or What??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.