Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Forum!!!!!! Or What??

Old 11-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk Forum!!!!!! Or What??

Elkcrazy8---Thanks, and yes I may be interested in a Seminar. I have several to do at this point, but nothing for July. I don't want to commit yet but will consider it!! I'll be in touch.---- Also that Jamboree sounds greaty!! You attended 22 events last year alone, amazing you could find that kind of time, with having to travel and all. July is awful close to Archery season!!! <Grin>

Idahoelkinstructor----Sounds like you've got a pretty full plate there!! I know what it can be like with working and trying to raise a family at the same time, my wife and I had 4 kids of our own, the youngest being 21, we're alone now though, but can remember back when!!!--- I've never entered a calling contest but it sounds like fun. I can relate to the huffing sounds you heard at the calling contest, this is one of the sounds I encourage others to use in certain calling senarios as very few are aware of it and when to use it.--- Monday or Tuesday evening would be fine, I'll be around and look forward to talking to you!!

Elkcrazy8---You should give me a call sometime too, I'm sure it would be very enjoyable talking with you! But watch out, once the word elk is mentioned I'm off and running!!! (big grin)-- ElkNut1--Paul
Old 11-20-2004, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elknut,Yes it does take up alot of time. I used to have a full house at one time. My X and her husband moved to Vegas with my daughters. I have a job with about a month and a half of vacation time each year. I live with my girlfriend or should I say life partner who is very understanding when it comes to hunting. She is the same with her artwork. When I get bored, I pick up my bow. If I wasn't hunting or shooting, god only knows what kind of trouble I could get into. If you are interested in a seminar when the time comes, Tom Judge with the ISB would be the person to contact about doing a seminar at the Jamboree. I beleive that I have seen you on their forum before????? I used the huffing sounds at the last ISB calling contest and it went over well, along with the deep gutteral growls. But I am not giving away all my secrets. That 50.00 usaully pays for my gas.LOL Stanly has a good elk herd that hangs by the shoot site and we see elk every day when we are there. Thats if the you know whats haven't moved in[:@]
Old 11-21-2004, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elkcrazy8, it sounds like I am the one who is going to have to practice at my calling. Plan on me being there FOR SURE! I live in Idaho Falls. That is located in Southeast Idaho. If you know of any shoot's in the near furture please let me know. If you are ever in "IF" let me know and we could hook up, shoot some arrows, and test each other out with elk calling. Have you ever called in coyotes and tried to shoot them with you bow? It's a blast and good practice for big game. I only mention this because I am planning to do just that this winter on my inlaws land. Anyway if you're in the area you are welcome to come. Elknut1, that invatitation also applies to you as well. Talk to you all later. Got to get my kiester in bed!!!! [:-][X(][>:][&:]
Old 11-22-2004, 07:34 AM

I just recieved these from my friend, they are some of the most amazing hunting photos I have seen. Does anyone know if the last three photos are records???

On the hunt

Big Texas Whitetail
Big Southern Idaho Mule Deer
Now that’s’ a Moose!
Old 11-22-2004, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

Elknut1, We are an elk forum! The knowledge base here is very well rounded. From ELKampMaster and his big boom, down to me with my sticks we can cover a lot of bases. We can talk arrows & bows, bullets & guns, calling, tactics, camo and scent reduction. We can even go into optics. We as a group hunt a large portion of the west. This works for me, how about you. ELKampMaster just for you, "If it goes boom it is too big."
Gselkhunter
Old 11-22-2004, 09:56 AM

GS

No need for me to get my pants in a knot. I can appreciate your view point and find no need to try to counter it. IMHO, successful bowhunters have additional, hard-won skill sets and have a tougher hunting task on their plate (on average) than do rifle hunters.

EKM
Old 11-22-2004, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

RJ32, I have a hard time beleiving any pics I see on the computer. I don't know moose very well, and it has been a long time since I stepped foot in white-tail woods. But the mule deer was probably scored SCI for a reason. It looks like his main beams are shorter than his spread. If this were the case, he would loose the spread credit. Only a handful of Idaho bucks in the boone and crockett are over 30 inches for this reason. That buck has alot of trash points, also which will deduct. Would I shoot this buck, hell yes and I would and not think twice about it. Bucks get their trophy status from tine length, not spread. Now back to the elk!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2004, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

EKM, I was just pulling your leg. You have already shown me the effort you have put into hunting. It is the kind of dedication I wish more people would put in. You have your tool of choice and I have mine. It doesn't make either one of us wrong, just different. It is the love of the animal and the sport that sets our hearts a fire. Elknut1 is in that park too. Talking to people with such passion helps keep it alive in the off season. I can never learn enough and you have tips that can help me and maybe I have a few too.
Gselkhunter
Old 11-23-2004, 08:55 AM

EKM, yes i was planning on going with steven ashe on en elk hunt next year...plans have changed though...he had to cancel because of his knee...he isnt going to get to go now...ive had to back up and regroup...im weighing other options
Old 11-23-2004, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

gselkhunter---Yes this is an Elk Forum, and a moose, lion, goat, sheep, fishing, mule deer, bear, and so on, you know, all balled into one . And there's nothing wrong with any of those subjects. It's just that when you isolate each subject as done on other "Sites" then you can scroll right to them and talk specificaly about the subject or subjects that most interest you. It really works out well!! I've noticed there's much more participation from many different hunters, not always the same ones, it works great and you get many different opinions and real life experiences about things you're most interested in. -- It's just a thought!! I know for me personally, I like reading and participating in Elk discussions, not so much other types of hunting, so that's what I look for when going to certain "Sites", I can say I'm not alone in this, if you'll take a look around other sites you'll see what I mean. --Thanks--ElkNut1

Quick Reply: Elk Forum!!!!!! Or What??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.