Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Role Call: Elk Hunters

Old 11-08-2004, 07:47 PM

Default RE: Role Call: Elk Hunters

Goosehunter Jr.,
I couldn't tell if you have taken an elk at some point or not.
================

BigGuy54,
That is a productive camp, unless they are keeping you in the "cold" you should be on your way soon.
================

RBH,
It don't have to be this year's elk. You are in category 3.
================

ElkCrazy8,
That is quite the list of don'ts, some pretty funny (chuckle) some of them indicating that you are a "go for it" guy.
================

Tally so far,

2 = Went elk hunting --- no opportunities (I think there are WAY more out there, just haven't signed in....)
2 = Went elk hunting, got a shot opportunity, no elk... (Any given year an opportunity is really all one can hope for.)
19 = Got elk (at least one, some with many)
-----
23 = Total

EKM
Old 11-08-2004, 08:29 PM

I've elk hunted a half dozen times. Two cows, spike, rag horn and 5x5 last year with muzzle loader. I'm leaving in a week and half for Montana (Bob Marshall Wilderness). I have been hoping for some good snow, but it doesn't look too promising. Combo hunt, so maybe a nice mulie in rut as a bonus?? Last hunt of the season in this camp...never been on a late seson hunt. Going out with two good friends who are full time guides (fishing/hunting) and we'll have some great camp time as we don't get to spend much time together with crazy schedules, etc., and the guy who runs our camp has been in the bob for many, many years. Great friends, awesome wilderness and hoping that the moon, stars and planets are lined up just right!!
Old 11-09-2004, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, shot a cow two years ago!
Old 11-09-2004, 07:06 AM

Tally so far,

2 = Went elk hunting --- no opportunities (I think there are WAY more out there, just haven't signed in....)
2 = Went elk hunting, got a shot opportunity, no elk... (Any given year an opportunity is really all one can hope for.)
20 = Got elk (at least one, some with many)
-----
24 = Total

EKM
Old 11-09-2004, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

My son and I who is also a member here each took 5-points with our bows!!

EKM--I believe you have quickly run out of fingers and toes!!!--ElkNut1
Old 11-09-2004, 11:22 AM

elknut1,
Congrats on the father/son tag team; did the same this fall with my son.
As always there is a logic to my madness. Standby.
=================

Tally so far,

22 = Got elk (at least one, some with many)
-----
26 = Total

EKM
Old 11-09-2004, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

went elk huntin for the first time this year and have not had an opportunity so far---saw some cows and spikes in the road--next to posted land before shooting light, and one of my esteemed partners bareback jack saw two nice bulls but did not have a tag.--I'm goin again for about 5-6days the end of this week--am still optimistic and lovin it'
HB
Old 11-09-2004, 02:05 PM

EKM,
I was North of Steamboat this year. Shot at and missed a 5X5 with a few minutes of daylight left on the last day of my 7 day hunt. I'd never missed a big game animal before this. Missing sucks.
For what it's worth, I've got two elk in the four years I've been chasing them. Oddly both animals were taken during muzzleloader seasons and the two years I've gone home empty I was rifle hunting. Seems to be a correlation there.

Bill the Dog

PS, Yeah, I'm addicted too.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

You can put me in the first category. Spent ALOT of time scouting and arrived at my 11,500' area to find it blanketed with hard and crunchy snow. Took an entire day to pack in, and I spent the rest of the season soaking wet crunching through the snow looking for elk. Saw alot of track, but the snow must have pushed them lower, did not see/hear a single animal during the first season.

The irony is, I went over to the 15 unit for the 2nd season for a salvation buck and the only thing I could find were bulls and cows. I had a 5x wander within 20 feet. I was so frustrated I had to get up and start yelling so he would go away and leave me to my misery...
Old 11-09-2004, 04:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

A little off subject but I shot a cow one year with the muzzle loader. She went down like a rock and though I should have reloaded right away, for some reason I did not. There was a small Bull with her and while I tried to field dress the cow he kept stomping and shaking his head at me from about 25 yards away. He then started comming toward me slowly. I picked up a stick and threw it at him but he held his ground. I then found a pretty good size rock and through that at him and hit him in the head. He backed off about 50 yards but kept watching. At this point I took a moment and reloaded the gun. He was still there when I went for help to retrieve the cow. This was a rather nerve wrecking ordeal and I have always reloaded instantly since then even if I was pretty sure the animal was down for good. I don't know if another shot in his direction would have spooked him or not. I don't know if he wanted to fight or just finish lovin.

Quick Reply: Role Call: Elk Hunters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.