Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana Rifle II

Old 11-05-2004, 10:33 PM

Default Montana Rifle II

I was finally able to return to the mountains and resume my quest for the elusive Wapiti this evening. I hiked up high since I havn't been in the field for a while. By glassing high I can usaully locate a herd or animal to focus on the next day. I bumped what I assume was a bull since the tracks were solo and big. It seems I am seeing alot of white rumps tearing off in front of me this year. I was much discouraged at my impatience but trecked on to a small clear spot that I could glass my bowl from. I have 16x50 binos and they are great for this type of work. Within 30 seconds I spotted a nice 6x6 with two cows feeding liesurely on the opposite ridge at about 1500 yards. It was 4:30pm and I concluded if I hustled I could get within range. I ripped out of the clearing down to a logging road and ran for about 100 yards, dropping again into the nastiest crap imaginable. I was losing precious daylight but on I forged. I glass again at about 600 yards and saw the bull go over the ridge onto the side away from me. Damn! I decided that now I would have to drop all the way down and hustle up the next mountain and peek over the ridge. I did and he was gone, melted into the thick stuff. AHHHHH! Light was gone and I had no flashlight. I know the area and was able to work my way out after 2 long hours in the dark. Every muscle in my body is aching right now. I pushed too hard and too far and I am lucky I knew the area as well as I did. No light, no matches, pair of blue jeans and a flannel lined shirt. I was a long way from my rig and soaking wet from snow and sweat. I dressed light and not in my hunting gear because I was really just scouting a herd to hunt this weekend. Next time I go prepared, never know where the mountains will take you. Tomarrow is the day, I'm gonna get my bull.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Montana Rifle II

go get him muley, glad you made it back to the truck alright.