Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Getting started in The Gila

Old 10-31-2004, 05:43 AM

Default Getting started in The Gila

After two trips to SW Colorado it seems I've been bitten by The Gila bug. A failed email attempt to contact doubleA to beg information from his nephew leads me here. The quandrum: the invested time leading to experience in Colorado (some good spots FINALLY located there) conflicting with a desire to hunt an area of larger bull populations. So, where the heck do you start getting into The Gila?! I have the draw-odds printout but from here I'm totally ignorant. Bow/black powder-kids-in-college-broke-Virginia-hunter appreciates ANY help. (road access/horse rental/Unit selection/etc) (thanks already to txhunter54 - nice guy!)
Old 10-31-2004, 10:01 AM

Default RE: Getting started in The Gila

Putt IMHO (lol and simple evidence by a glance through the record books) there is ONLY one name to go too when talkin about huntin in The Gila and Apache Nat Forest areas of NM. He is Mick Chapel of New Mexico Professional Big Game Hunting Inc (505) 773-4599. Mick's hunters have put more bulls in the books than anyother outfitter in the country!!! His website is www.nmtrophyhunts.com. Once on the homepage click on "Elk" and me and my bull are there on the second row, rightside. He is a 6x6, gross' 368" and nets 364" he's basically perfect. Didnt have so much as a chip anywhere on his rack. A 368 in most other places of the country is "Da Man on the mountain" and typically has busted tines and is worn from the rut. LOL a 350-360 class bull isnt necessarily a herd bull in The Gila.

The various units 15-16 (there are several as they are classified like 15a, 15b ect) are scattered across that section of southwest NM and contain the largest bulls available without a trip into Arizona (if you ever draw there, Mick likewise does hunts over there as well). Many of the units in The Gila are primitive weapons only (as was the one I hunted in in 98) so you either take your bow or a muzzleloader. Thats only a plus for the bulls gaining age. For the quality of hunt and trophy potential I personally think Micks hunts are a BARGAIN. But they only negative is the sizeable expense of buying a landowner tag if you dont draw. When we went in 98 my brother drew, a simple $400someodd tag. I didnt draw so I had to fork over an additional $2500 for a tag. I think they have gone up another $1k or so since then.

But where else can you get a reasonable chance at a 350"+ bull on public land without going too AZ for less than a total expense of $10k???
RA
Old 11-02-2004, 12:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Getting started in The Gila

Talk to Heburt Thomas or wife Brandy at Lonesome Dove Outfitters at (505) 533-6533 Reserve NM.