Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Just returned from mountains: Montana rifle

Old 10-29-2004, 07:11 PM

Default Just returned from mountains: Montana rifle

Just returned from 6 days in the high country unit 270, here in Montana. Saw some elk, spooked more. I put all my eggs in one basket, and was sorely disappointed to discover that several hunters had set up a base camp in my drainage. Opening morning found the elk boogering out of the drainage before sunrise as evidenced by the tracks in the snow. After spending opening day frivously in the drainage I gathered my senses and went high. I forced two bulls out of their beds do to my impatience. The hunters left their camp and high glassing indicated good elk movement once again in the drainage. Back I went and bumped a huge herd going in in the dark. AHHHHHH! Spent the rest of the day seeing nothing. I finally pulled out thyis morning disgusted, tired, aching, and right now hating thoose stupid elk. I'll recoup, regroup, and fire back up there when I feel like it. Right now, I'm sick of hunting. Yes, you read that right, and anybody who hunts elk hard knows exactly how I feel. When it feels like your going to work, it's time to stop and take a break, right know I don't even want to think about elk, yet here I am on this site! Go figure.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Just returned from mountains: Montana rifle

Muley69:
Your in a great area for elk I glassed that area everyday from my kitchen table. Last week over 150 head right behind Darby.
The problem I am finding is these out of town people have bought all these ranch's and arn't hunting them and driving the animals out.
From Rye Creek to almost Skalkaho following HWY 93 Intell money bought most of that land. I used to hunt around Deer mountain every year with good success,but the animals just arn't getting pushed like they were.
Not 300 yards from my front door is the Old Chief Joseph Ranch in the 250 area. The people who have bought it, don't hunt it, won't let anyone hunt it and don't drive around on the ranch as to not desturb the animals.
It's really a bitch to see 100 head of Elk in a field bedded down.
FWP is letting you take a cow the last few weeks of the season, but what differance does it make if people are protecting the Elk.
In a few years were in for a real problem if FWP don't start doing something to encourage these landowners.
Just got my truck back last week and $2900 later my truck no longer had a Cow elk as a hood ornamemt.
Try Mink Creek out of Sula. Saw a bunch second day and passed on a small 5x5. Pray for snow to bring the big boys out of the high country.
OH Yah the first nice rack you see go by in the back of an out of state pick-up will get ya motivated, hang in there.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:54 PM

Hey Montana Bob. Yeah I'll get back in the hang of it. The private land issue here is a real problem. Effectively, I can't even deer hunt. A muley tag for 270 had 2600 applicants, and 75 tags! Private property contains the majority of whitetails, and you can't get permission. I've hiked about 35 miles in the last 6 days. To those of you unfamiliar with 270, that's alot of tough hiking. I'm walking over deadfalls, through thick cover, burns you name it. I've been going up Daly and camping up top.
Right now I'm getting pretty frustrated with FWP. The recent fee increase proposals have me steaming. For me and the family to apply for Moose, Sheep and goat, I'll have to fork over $1,350.00, and I'm a freakin resident. I got no tags I applied for, and every day in 270 I see trophy mulie bucks, yet only 75 tags? That's BS. They are trying to reduce the elk herd, while not even factoring in the massive burns we had greatly increasing forage and carrying capacity for elk. Meanwhile, private property transfers in the Bitterroot is removing hunting opportunities for hunters.
Perhaps I'm just a little frustrated tonight. I think I'll leave the forrest for the weekend hunters and return next week. I've already taken 3 weeks off work, and next week will be 4 weeks off in the last six, stupid elk are gonna put me in the poorhouse.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:38 PM
Typical Buck

I here ya. The family applies for those same 270 mulie tags every year.I guess I will just keep on collecting bonus points.
For almost 20 years I have applied for a moose tag with no luck, finally went to Canada this year and got 1.
Prayen for snow tonight.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:50 PM

Your prayers are being answered. Just flipped on my deck light and was surprised by the falling snow. I think we are in for a long winter here. I'm starting to get re-energized. Spent a dang good day with the family and I'm heading back up tomarrow afternoon. I'll go back in for another three days. Good luck in the morn.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Theres more than 1 way to skin a cat. Got this picture to upload.
Here has what has helped me stay focused not seeing many Elk in the woods the last few days.
Last month my season started early.
It's snowing and that's a good thing Time to change camo and get out.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:00 AM

Very nice my freind. I think my moose tag chances here in Montana are slim, I may have to head north one of these seasons. It's 11:00am here and the snow in the valley is coming down hard. I have changed plans becuase visibilty in the high country is probably next to nothing, I'll return tommarrow for what will be my final three days of the season. Well, I'll probably at least do a few more weekends but no more camping. Let me know what you see, I'll do the same.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

You Bet
I am lucky to border the forest service and can be in Elk in a few minutes.
Went out this morning for a quick 1 and pulled out after seeing no new tracks. It's suppose to come down pretty good overnight and I will be out first thing in the morn.
I'll keep in touch towards the end of the season as there are usually alot of cows running around if you want to fill a tag.
I just wish I could get the ranch people to start moving those elk off the ranch.
I might call them and say I am seeing people trespassing on there land near the elk.At least that will get some people on the ranch driving around
Old 10-31-2004, 12:14 PM

Hey Muley sorry to hear of your elk hunting troubles. The land owner situation is frustrating I agree. I think you guys are being a little hard on our fwp. They can't FORCE a landowner to allow hunting, however; I have never heard of fwp telling a landowner that they shouldn't allow hunting. In fact considering block managment (which i love) I think they do what they can to open up land. Their biologists tell landowners all the time that the elk herd needs to be reduced. I mean what else do you think they can do, or am I missing something you guys are not.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

MTHUNTER:
What your missing is the little orange flyer FWP has been passing out at the Darby check station.
In a nutshell they are patting themselves on the back for their Management practices on Elk.
They say in 1980 the Elk Population averaged 1300 Elk and due to them going to Cow elk only by Drawing the Elk population is now up to over 4700.I will give them some credit here but, They fail to mention the the closure of alot of ranch owners property which happens to be the rich out of staters who purchased these ranches and most don't live here. They are posted and not many people get to hunt them as well as letting the Elk go by unchecked.
FWP say's in thier flyer last year they had a record havest of over 720 Elk and go on to say that this harvest could continue and sustain the current Elk herd.
Well Trick Or Treat this years harvest down even with all the Elk we have. Lets see if they will figure out what we already know.
As far as them doing anything same story....Out of state big money talks and anything that makes common sense walks. My opinion

Quick Reply: Just returned from mountains: Montana rifle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.