Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Just returned from mountains: Montana rifle

Old 11-01-2004, 07:38 PM

Default RE: Just returned from mountains: Montana rifle

Ok I didn't know about the flyer. Just a couple of questions because I'm curious what others from Montana think about the landowner question. What do you think fwp can do to stop out of staters from buying up land and posting it. What do you think of block managment? The first I just can't think of an answer to, and the second I think is the best thing fwp has done in a long time.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:05 PM

MThunter, yes an intrested and important issue is it not? FWP simply must do something about it. Hunters are the primary method used to control populations. These methods are seriously hampered when access is limited. Jim Posewitz of Orion: the hunters insititute was just quoted in the Missoulian saying lack of access due to the privatization of key hunting area's is the number one threat to hunting. This issue has even more grave consequences, we are rapidly approaching a class system of hunting. Those who can afford the land can hunt, those who can't are out of luck. I still, however, havent answered your question, what can FWP do about it? Frankly, I don't know. I do know I havn't seen any literature advanced from FWP to private land owners discussing the importance of hunter participation. Maybe we need somebody from FWP on here. Maybe this is exactly why we have these boards, to generate idea's. Anybody got any suggestions?
On a side note, I was able to pull my camper down the mountain last night. I jacked knifed twice but fortunately, (how ironic?) there was a FWP game warden releasing a bear and he agreed to follow my down the mountain. I got out but it took 3 hours to go 20 miles. Thanks to ther FWP game warden, he even offered to pull his chains and put them on my rig.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

Glad to here you got your rig out ok. 2 years ago my boy and his buddy went over the edge of the road behind Deer mountain and rolled his dads new truck(ICE). My boy got a broken leg out of the deal.
Most FWP people at the local level are ok.
What I think should have happened some time ago is that the FWP should have stepped up to the plate on these big land deals and labeled them wildlife sensitive or something.
Maybe let FWP step in a few times a week to move the ELK or offer some incentive to have hunters hunt these area's. I am familuar with block management but, it has not been used down here much.
Any way I will be addressing this matter with the FWP and RMEF at the end of the season as soon as I see the harvest count at the Darby Check Station for the year. I have video of the hundreds of Elk that have gathered on private unhunted land in the area's of concern.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

Hmmm My Bad.
After some research seems FWP is well aware of the Private property issue and are getting the ball rolling to try and do something about it. Found this on their site so maybe help is on the way
http://fwp.state.mt.us/hunting/elkplan.html
Old 11-08-2004, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel the same way,about the public land vs private land.It is very fustrating to watch 100 head of elk mill around on the other side of the fence.

I have a proposal.
Why don't they have a tax on the game animals,like they have on timber and other natural recorces.Let say a tax of $150/ head.
They can have the tax waived if they join a Block management plan(wich they still get paid),or open it for hunting.If they still wish they can still lease it to whom ever they wan't or keep it closed to hunting.

Now that would ruffle some feathers.
Now this plan would generate revenue,help keep tag costs down and help keep quota's on keel.