Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

bigger gun??

Old 10-26-2004, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: bigger gun??

Ekm.....no offense taken. I still stand by my earlier statement. That all happens after you pull the trigger.
Just because I know that women will hurt me.........never stops me from pulling the trigger with them either!!!!

I am all about the results. If you think about the punch, you won't get in the ring. I am no tougher than the next guy. Pinch me........do I not bleed?
But we ain't talking about getting your teeth knocked out with a hammer here fellows!!!!

Skeeter.......I will ask for a Zeiss for Christmas.......but I will be a happy camper if Santa brings a Leupold!!! I have looked at Vari-XIII, 3-10 that seems to be calling my name!!!
Old 10-26-2004, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

JD..........
Model 700. BDL I believe. But does have lots of scroll work on the action and a ram's head with scroll on the eject plate. Pretty gun.

EKM......will update you on the progress.
I have two boxes of 250 gr Aframes waiting to be used. But you bring up a good question. Can I remove the brake without any concerns??? I have read too many opinions on this subject here about the dangers of hearing loss using one in the field. I don't want to harm my hearing anymore than I already have.......(too many Nugent strangleholds at high volume)!!
Never had a gun with a brake so wasn't sure if I could shoot it without it on it? Be sweet if all I have to do is unscrew it and go!

I might even have someone video me during and after in case I call out to Mommy without knowing it!!!

BTW..........I will disavow all "mommy" cries if ever cross examined!!! Dad syndrome! First time I shot my dad's shotgun, it knocked me to the ground. Sitting there with what I know had to be eyes the size of silver dollars, I knew that when he asked "you okay"..........I damn well better answer fine followed with "I must have slipped" if I ever wanted shoot that gun again!! He let me and I did! Did she Buck??? You bet.......give her to me again!
Old 10-26-2004, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

"The gun had a muzzle brake"

No wonder it doesn't kick and no wonder your '06, kicks harder. The recoil arrestor is ust doing its job. However, there will be a BIG difference if you shoot it without the arrestor. You may not be recoil shy at all, but if you plan on hunting without it, I would try it before you buy. By all means, just keep the arrestor if it shoots good, but you better wear hearing protection, even in the field if you want to hear in the future. I know from personal experience that you will damage your hearing if you don't. Muzzle brakes are great, within their limitations. I wouldn't shoot my featherweight 7 mm mag without one.

That said, I love my 338 win mag shooting 225 gr bullets without a recoil arrestor. It seems to give me hard "push" instead of a kick. Of course the gun is about 9 pounds. May also have to due with the powder used in the loads I use.

Good luck with it if you decide to "adopt" it.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info Tx!
Heard plenty about the brake causing hearing loss and when in the woods I can't stand my ears being covered, much less wearing protection. Looks like I will go without the arrestor. I can learn to handle the recoil if necessary......can't learn to hear after it is gone!
Old 10-26-2004, 09:04 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-26-2004, 09:12 PM

I shoot a .338 RUM in the Remmington 700 Model. It's a good, flat shooting rifle. I have gotten pass through consistently on caribou and the 1200 lb moose I took with the rifle since I bought it a few years ago.

It does kick, but it's not all that bad. I don't have a muzzle break on it, but I do have a pachmyer recoil pad. It's No worse than a 10 guage in my opinion, but I am also a big guy and avid weightlifter, so I have some extra padding. If you are one who really hates recoil though, I suggest a different gun. If it doesn't bother you, buy one, you WILL like it.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

RedRiverHntr:

I have a .340 Wby. Mag. with a Pentax Lightseeker II 4x-16-44. I push a 250 gr. Barnes XFB at 3062 f/s 5204 ft/lb. If I do my part, I obtain .408" at 100 yds. Welcome to the world of .338 calibers.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

RedRiverHntr I think that recoil is a personal thing. Some can take it some can't. I shoot a .300 RUM and it doesn't bother me at all. I have shot my friends .338 RUM and that doesn't bother me either. Of course I also go into a goose field packing either a 3.5" 12 gauge pump action, or a 10 gauge auto. With pistols I own and shoot a .454 Casull among others. I am 6'3' and 250 pounds, but recoil doesn't seem to bother me one bit! As far as accuracy is concerned all it takes for me is practice, practice, practice, no matter of the caliber, gauge, or recoil.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:14 PM

I think the 338RUM is one of the really great new cartridges, it is a step up from any 30cal yet not a 375 type cannon, there are really only a few good ones in its class. If you like it by ALL MEANS jump on it and enjoy it, I dont think it'll ever fail you if you do your part, but it may save you if you mess up slightly. My next rifle is going to be a 338RUM in a browning high/low wall or ruger#1.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:47 PM

I dont want to step on toes here, but I dont see what the big fuss is about shooting game cleanly too 400yds with ease and 500yds with a lil bit of practice and the right equipment (which I think is THE most important part of the equation).

Before you shoot me with silverbullets and drive a wooden stake thru my heart hear me out. I have been shooting a Lazzeroni Warbird and taking at least a dozen head of game each year with it since 2000. I have a 6x24x50 Swarovski atop it and with 150grain Lazerheads they print +2.5" @ 100yds and -3.5" @ 400yds. I had a KDF Slimline installed on it and the Sako came with a Pachmayer Decelerator recoil pad. With the KDF on I can watch the bullet strike the target/animal with each shot. With a halfway decent rest such as my Caldwell bipod, a steady rest on a shooting house windowsill or shooting rails installed on my ladder stands, taking shots @ the 1/4mile mark isnt that tough in my honest opinion.

I have several other guns and used to take 300yd shots with my 7mags on a fairly routine basis. RRH I think you have the right idea with the 338UltraMag, with a high powered scope (my personal recommendation is something with at least 18-20power on the upper end of the powerscale) and some practice I think you can routinely put em in an elks kill zone @ 500yds and be very confident. Would I try it/recommend it with my ol '06 wearin a 3x9? NOPE! Sure it can be done but there are to many variables working against such a rig. But like I said, when properly equipped and with a few basics learned on the range, you are ready to take em with a high degree of certainty and efficiency.

As for hearing protection, the muffs are the best but cumbersome and not conducive to quick shots. Therefore I recommend the Walkers Game Ears. Not only do they protect your hearing from big bores and muzzlebrakes, they allow you to hear things you never thought before possible. I initially purchased them for use only while using my big rifle, now I use them while bowhunting, dove/duck hunting and turkey hunting. The incredible hearing is ALWAYS a plus and I certainly wish I woulda started protecting my hearing 20 years ago when I was a kid and began deerhunting. The Game Ears can be turned down to a "normal range" and then worn under insulated headwear in cold conditions. After one or two trips you will be accustomed too them and like I said after seeing their effectiveness you will actually prefer using them ALL the time!

Good luck,
RA

Quick Reply: bigger gun??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.