Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

BILL TO PROTECT STATE'S RIGHT TO MANAGE WILDLIFE

Old 10-17-2004, 10:54 AM

Default BILL TO PROTECT STATE'S RIGHT TO MANAGE WILDLIFE

Reid Fights To Protect Nevada

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV) introduced a bill in the Senate today to protect Nevada's hunters and fishermen. Reid's bill reaffirms the right of states to manage their own fish and wildlife programs. That historic right has been jeopardized by a recent federal court ruling.

"The court ruling is a threat to the conservation of wildlife resources in Nevada, and a threat to Nevada's ability to provide recreational opportunities for its own citizens," said Reid. "This legislation shows that we respect the states' right to manage their own resources. It has bipartisan support, and I'm hopeful we can pass it quickly."

Sen. John Ensign (R-NV) is co-sponsoring the legislation.

"The state should maintain the rights on deciding fishing and hunting regulations," said Ensign. "Nevada is gifted in that our fish and wildlife programs are continuously thriving and to prolong this success, our state and not the federal court, should make the choices to preserve this."

States have traditionally had the right to regulate hunting and fishing within their own borders, including the right to issue licenses and set tag limits. However, a recent decision by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals could undermine those rights. The court ruled that states should not set different tag limits for residents and non-residents, because that could violate non-residents' Constitutional rights. Reid's bill would reaffirm states' right to make such distinctions.

"Sportsmen are ardent conservationists," said Reid. "For example, in Nevada there are sportsmen's groups like Nevada Bighorns Unlimited and the Fraternity of Desert Bighorn. Members of these groups spend their own time and money protecting our bighorn sheep, which are suffering because of a severe drought. Their understanding of our local habitats, and their efforts to save hundreds of these animals, justifies giving them hunting privileges that out-of-state sportsmen don't get."

In addition to Ensign, Senators Ted Stevens (R-AK), Ben Nelson (D-NE), Conrad Burns (R-MT), and Max Baucus (D-MT) are co-sponsors of Reid's bill.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BILL TO PROTECT STATE'S RIGHT TO MANAGE WILDLIFE

AWESOME!!!

I am glad that people on both sides of the partisan split can see eye to eye on certain issues. It shows that these senators see the crisis that has arisin in Arizona due to this and their true dedication to protect what is rightfully given to the residents of states.

P.S. Where did you find this info, I would like to write these senators and offer my support and thanks. I spent a few hours looking at political "stuff" last night, but was unable to find anything regarding gun control or wildife management legislation. Thanks for the good news.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:14 PM

I get a lot of stuff such as this release thru email from various sources that are available to writers.

Of course, as we both know, introducing the bill is one thing; getting it passed is a whole 'nother thing. -TONY
Old 10-17-2004, 05:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

North Dakota passed the same law about four years ago. Up here it passed 80% to 20%. I think SD passed it as well.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:49 PM

James,

Probably talking two different things here. As you might already know, I believe MN has a lawsuit going right now against SD. I think this recently introduced law might have a lot farther reaching implications the state laws, which were basically meant to head off referendums that were pushed by AR interested from getting to the ballot for a vote. -TONY
Old 10-17-2004, 10:25 PM

Glad to see them doing something about it. dont how many letters reid got total, but I for one e-mailed his office and said that the the judicial activim that the liberal judges(appointed by his party,Dems) nationwide are perpatrating is completely out of hand and that I would no longer vote for him and I would now be voteing straight republican regardless of his(reids) stances. Dont know that it made a difference, but I'd like to think so
Old 10-18-2004, 08:49 AM

Probably be a good idea if all hunters emailed/wrote their congress critters and urged same to vote in favor of this bill. -TONY
Old 10-18-2004, 01:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

The law I am speaking of is a state law called the right to hunt law. This law reserves the states right to regulate and control the peoples right to hunt, fish and trap. Should the federal government try to interfier ,I suppose the supreme court would in the end have to rule on the law. It does however puts the state on record that they, the state, reserves all rights in this area. Whatever is in the works between South Dakota and MN. would have nothing to do with that bill. IMO.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:33 PM

Yup. Figured that was what you were talking about. That's completely different than the bill that was introduced in regards to ALL MANAGEMENT of wildlife by the state that would be protected by FEDERAL law. -TONY
Old 10-19-2004, 08:58 AM

I wrote my AZ congressmen and am sure they will support the bill. GREAT JOB by NV congressmen!! Let us know the bill number so we can start rallying support across the country. This is the number one way to kill Taulman's dirty deeds. Thanks.

Quick Reply: BILL TO PROTECT STATE'S RIGHT TO MANAGE WILDLIFE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.