Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

BILL TO PROTECT STATE'S RIGHT TO MANAGE WILDLIFE

Old 10-19-2004, 09:58 AM

Default RE: BILL TO PROTECT STATE'S RIGHT TO MANAGE WILDLIFE

Glenn,

I'll see what I can do to track the bill # and perhaps even post a copy of it, depending on the size. -TONY
Old 10-19-2004, 10:28 AM

Here ya go, straight from Senator Harry Reid's web site. The actual text of the bill hasn't been published/printed yet since it's so new and still in committee. -TONY

46. S.2978 : A bill relating to State regulation of access to hunting and fishing.

Sponsor: Sen Reid, Harry M. [NV] (introduced 10/11/2004) Cosponsors (5)

Committees: Senate Judiciary

Latest Major Action: 10/11/2004 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary.

Members of the committee are:

Orrin G. Hatch CHAIRMAN, UTAH
Patrick J. Leahy RANKING DEMOCRATIC MEMBER, VERMONT

Charles E. Grassley IOWA
Edward M. Kennedy MASSACHUSETTS
Arlen Specter PENNSYLVANIA
Joseph R. Biden, Jr. DELAWARE
Jon Kyl ARIZONA
Herbert Kohl WISCONSIN
Mike DeWine OHIO
Dianne Feinstein CALIFORNIA
Jeff Sessions ALABAMA
Russell D. Feingold WISCONSIN
Lindsey Graham SOUTH CAROLINA
Charles E. Schumer NEW YORK
Larry Craig IDAHO
Richard J. Durbin ILLINOIS
Saxby Chambliss GEORGIA
John Edwards NORTH CAROLINA
John Cornyn TEXAS

I sent the following to Senator Jon Kyle today:

Dear. Senator Kyle,

I am a veteran jounalist and mainly write magazine articles about hunting and fishing in Arizona.

I urge you to support the recently introduced bill, SB 2978, by Sen. Harry Reid of Nev. In fact, it would be to your benefit to sign on as a co-sponsor and urge Senator McCain to do the same.

As you likely know, the recent ruling by the 9th Circuit Court has caused a huge uproar among our state's hunters. The end result will amount to fewer and fewer hunting opportunities for your constituents because of an increased demand by nonresidents for the limited number of big-game permits available.

Thank you,

Tony Mandile
Old 10-19-2004, 11:44 AM

Tony-Thanks so much. I posted on a couple of other forums and wrote all my politicians. This could be the silver bullet for Taulman. He'll probly sue GW if he signs the bill though.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:51 AM

Glenn,

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'll keep trying to get the text of the bill as this moves thru committee. I have an email out to Reid's office on such right now. Stay tuned. -TONY
Old 10-19-2004, 12:15 PM

Glenn,

Saw a couple of the posts you made. To clarify, the bill # is simply S. 2978. The 46 was the # of the listing under the bills Reid has sponsored. Sorry for the confusion. -TONY
Old 10-19-2004, 01:44 PM

Thanks and I corrected. Did you notice the bill is posted on bowsite and monstermuleys? Looks good to me and he requested it be passed before next season. I don't know if this is good legislation as written but sure hope it will fix the issue. Bet George's lawyer is scrambling on this national move. Kinda hard to sue the federal government but I bet they will do it. You did good by sniffing this one out early so we can stir the political pot. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:46 PM

Here's a bit more I just located. -TONY

Speaker: Senator Harry M. Reid (NV)
Title: Statements on Introduced Bills and Joint Resolutions - S. 2978
Date: 10/11/2004

STATEMENTS ON INTRODUCED BILLS AND JOINT RESOLUTIONS

By Mr. REID (for himself, Mr. NELSON of Nebraska, Mr. BAUCUS, Mr. BURNS, Mr. STEVENS, and Mr. ENSIGN):

S. 2978. A bill relating to State regulation of access to hunting and fishing; to the Committee on the Judiciary.

Mr. REID. Mr. President, the legislation I am introducing today explicitly reaffirms each State's right to regulate hunting and fishing.

I am pleased that Senators BEN NELSON, CONRAD BURNS, and TED STEVENS are joining me in sponsoring this important bill.

This is a Nevada issue, but it is also a national issue, as a recent Federal circuit court ruling undermines traditional hunting and fishing laws.

In Conservation Force v. Dennis Manning, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that State laws that distinguish between State residents and non-residents for the purpose of affording hunting and related privileges are constitutionally suspect.

This threatens the conservation of wildlife resources and recreational opportunities.

Although the Ninth Circuit found the purposes of such regulation to be sound, the Court questioned the validity of tag limits for non-resident hunters.

I respect the authority of States to enact laws to protect their legitimate interests in conserving fish and game, as well as providing opportunities for State residents to hunt and fish.

That's what this legislation says-we respect that State right.

Sportsmen are ardent conservationists. They support wildlife conservation not only through the payment of State and local taxes and other fees, but also through local non-profit conservation efforts and by volunteering their time.

For example, in Nevada there are great groups such as Nevada Bighorns Unlimited and the Fraternity of Desert Bighorn.
These are dedicated sportsmen who spend countless hours, as well as money, building “guzzlers” in the desert, which help provide a reliable source of water for Desert Bighorn Sheep.

Without these efforts it would be extremely hard for the Bighorn Sheep to survive, because many areas of their natural habitat where they used to drink water have been developed.

Today, Southern Nevada is in the 5th year of a 500 year drought, and the work of the groups I mentioned is saving the lives of hundreds of bighorns.

The involvement of local sportsmen in protecting and conserving wildlife is one of the facts that justifies traditional resident/non-resident distinctions, and provides the motivation for our legislation.

The regulation of wildlife is traditionally within a State's purview, and this legislation simply affirms the traditional role of States in the regulation of fish and game.

This bill is time sensitive.

This bill needs to pass before next year's hunting season begins.

I look forward to working with my colleagues to expedite passage of this important legislation.

I ask unanimous consent that the text of the bill be printed in the Record.

There being no objection, the bill was ordered to be printed in the RECORD, as follows:

S. 2978

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. STATE REGULATION OF ACCESS TO HUNTING AND FISHING.

(a) DECLARATION OF POLICY.-Congress hereby declares that-

(1) the continued regulation of access to hunting and fishing by the several States is in the public interest; and
(2) silence on the part of Congress shall not be construed to impose any commerce clause barrier to the regulation of such activities by the several States.

(b) STATE REGULATION OF ACCESS TO HUNTING AND FISHING.-The licensing of hunting and fishing, or of other access thereto, and every person engaged in hunting or fishing, shall be subject to the laws of the several States which relate to the regulation of such activities.

© CONSTRUCTION.-No Act of Congress shall be construed to invalidate, impair, or supersede any law enacted by any State for the purpose of regulating the access to hunting and fishing unless such Act specifically so states.