Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear huniting questions

Old 10-16-2004, 06:22 PM

Default Bear huniting questions

I'm thinking of trying a little bear hunting here in Mass during the 6 day season in November. Mass doesn't allow baiting, so I am thinking of using some scents to attract bears. I already have spots scouted out, but what I'm wondering is as to the effectiveness of these scents in the later part of the year. Can anyone recommend a scent that might work well in November. I was thinking of buying the Bear Sense sticks from Cabela's.
Also, would calling be an option this time of the year?

Thanks
FB
Old 10-20-2004, 12:01 PM

Default RE: Bear huniting questions

The past 3 years, I've been using scents from Bear Scents. Ususally my dad orders it through the mail. I have no clue how he found it, but this stuff works great. It is really strong smelling, and we found that it works best with a spray bottle. As soon as i can find more information on where to buy it, I can update you.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:28 PM

i'm not much on the scent part but they don't allow baiting here in pennsylvania either. instead what the guys usually do is hunt in a big party, no bigger than 25 hunters are allowed. they usually just get in a big line and walk through the woods. i've never gone out but while scouting i found a nice secluded area that has no pressure that has tons of bear sign. if i were to go out, i would let those other guys do their thing and i would just sit there like most people deer hunt.........who knows maybe one will run right by me even better maybe one will just walk right by me
Old 11-14-2004, 06:59 PM

Hi I'm from Mass also, If you are hunting in an area where there is corn or other standing
crops try putting your clothes in a bag with that crop. I have also heard that bears love the smell of annisette. good luck