Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana Elk Hunting

Old 10-15-2004, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Montana Elk Hunting

Went out opening morning first part of sept. and heard a bull screaming down in the bottom of a basin.Slipped halfway down the hill and did some cow calling with a few bugels thrown in and called in another hunter.Went back about a week later and set up and called for about 5 min. and a small 2x2 bull came in with no brow tines.I went down the mountain cow calling on the way and when I got almost to the bottom that same older bull started screaming again.I started giving him estrus cow calls and he would scream even louder but kept getting further away so I figured he had some cows with him.I shut up and closed in on him and got about 50 yards or so and could hear him tearing up the trees.I then let out a squeely bugel and he came unglued.But proceeded to leave with his cows.I switched from an estrus cow call over to a lost cow call and every time I would call he would answer and was getting closer.I looked around for a set up site and by then it was too late to move he came in above me on the same trail I walked down on.Good thing I stepped in a bunch of elk crap and smeared it all over the bottoms of my boots.He was about 5 yards from me and looked around and turned to leave I cow called on my diaphram and he stopped.I had about an 8 inch hole to shoot through and my arrow rattled off the brush over his back and through his antlers.He didn't know what had just happened.I bugeled and he stopped again and just walked off,Nice 7x8.I went back a couple more times and could hear him in the bottom.I might go back after him.This was up on top of the ninemile area.I left there and seen a big black bear and went after it , just as I was getting ready to shoot I seen 2 cubs so I left her go.
Went out to another spot and called in 2 spikes and a couple of cows.and A nice 5 point I didn't even know was there until I got up to leave 10 minutes after I quit calling.
I took my son up to the lost lake area out of superior up cedar creek and we packed off down the mountain.I bugeled and 4 bulls bugeled back.We moved as close as we could get and set up and cow called.They shut up but we could smell them close.After a couple of hours we ate lunch and started to hike up the hill when 3 bulls scrambled.We set down and called and one of the bigger bulls got excited he sounded like he was beating on a 55 gal drum.they wouldn't come in so we dropped down the hill and side hilled for about 500 yards and started up the hill since the wind changed.I set up and started calling and a big muley buck walked past about 35 yards.I seen something flickering up the hill so I glassed it and it was a bedded bull flicking the flies off his ears.A small 4x4.We continued up the hill but back towards the other bulls.My son and I split up about 35 yards apart and cow called back and forth then we heard the big herd bull bugeling and raking his antlers I could see elk so I motioned my son to stop and sit down.I seen a few cows go up the hill and then right behind them a monster bull at least a 6x6 plus.His spread was wider than 1 1/2 of my bows.Im sure he would have made the record books.
The last few days I've been hunting close to home.I took my son up to do some buck hunting and grunted a few times and a bull bugeled back so I got out my elk call and cow called and 2 more bulls started in.One came almost all the way in I heard a few cows calling and then he started glunking and went accross the canyon.I went back the next morning and cow called a few times and he bugeled and took the cows about 30 or so down the canyon.Later in the evening he was bugeling and getting closer but it was too dark to shoot.I'm going to drop my son off and drive up the road and park and hike back in there and mabe we can push them one way or the other.
I went out to another place and started hiking in and cow calling once in a while and seen a bear.It was chocolate with blond on it's back It looked like a small grizz at first.I stalked it to within 20 feet and cow called and it wheeled around and came right at me I had to holler and it stopped about 8 feet and I put an arrow right through it's lungs.Waited and it went about 30 yards and piled up.I walked over to it and it was looking at me then jumped up and tried to climb a tree I stuck it again 2 more times and it finally expired.It was a 150 lb. with a white patch on it's chest.Real pretty bear.Killed a lot of grouse with my bow.I hope to put that big bull to rest tomarrow.Any Ideas on how to hunt him?Break up the herd or ambush him or?
Good Luck Elkshed
Old 10-15-2004, 06:05 PM

Default RE: Montana Elk Hunting

Hey elkshed, I'm down in hamilton. I hunted 9 mile with a buddy several years ago. Are the Elk still bugeling? I havent been out in over a week.