Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Please keep the stories coming!

Old 10-15-2004, 02:57 PM

Default Please keep the stories coming!

Please keep the stories coming! I'm missing elk hunting this year because we got hung up trying to buy a house. The lender was supposed to close the end of Sep. which would've left me enough time to get to CO to hunt. The jerk kept jerking us around until we finally got tired of him and his lies, and switched lenders. Now it's too late for me to make the run to CO. Anybody know of a good recipe for tags? Any how, since this is as close as I'll get to going elk hunting, please let me enjoy reading about your hunts good or bad.

Thanks
Old 10-15-2004, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Please keep the stories coming!

Hope you sent the license back in for a refund. Hope your happy with your new home !
Old 10-16-2004, 12:00 AM

Well me and my dad were out in CO this year. It was my first year and my dad was feeling pretty bad becasue there was very little sign. There was snow that was at least a week old, maybe older, and there were no tracks in it. On monday morning, the third day of the hunt we saw a herd of 10 of them on a mtn top about a mile away, there was a bull with them, but we couldnt tell for sure if he met the point restrictions for CO. But after they went down into a differant bowl we went and looked for a place to sit for the next morning. We found out spot and the next morning after hikeing 2 hours and freezing our a$$s off we saw a herd of them coming towards us. My dad was glassing them and it took me a while to find them but when i did we saw there was a nice bull with them, along with at least 25 cows. My dad shot first, then i shot and he shot two more times. After we shot we checked witht he range finder and it was 390 yds, shooting somewhat downhill. My dad had his doubts if we got him. I was pretty confident with my shot. We walked over there once we stopped shaking and got our stuff together. When we were looking for the tracks of where they were standing my dad said, "well hes right there."
And he was. A great 6X6. We couldnt believe it. It was my first hunt, and my dad's first shot at a bull, in his 10 years going there. I have a picture but i cant get it to upload. When we gutted it we found that my dads first shot grazed the shoulder, my shot got both lungs and the bottom of the spine, and my dads last shot hit him right behind the head. So me and my dad both got a killing shot in on it and we were very happy.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:17 AM

And by the way, if any of you are the people that doubt the .270 for elk, i shot it with a .270 Win. Went through both lungs and the spine.

Old 10-16-2004, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

i don't doubt the 270 but at what angle did you shoot from to get both lungs and the spine
Old 10-16-2004, 03:46 PM

he was goin away downhill and i got the top of the lungs and it hit the bottom of his spine and got the other lung and stopped right next to the skin on the other side. Me and my dad arnt sure if it would have knocked him flat had be been on flat land, but the hill was really steep and he was close to running becasue that was the second shot we had taken at him. He was running down the hill (possibly on his front legs only, we think???) and my dad hit him right behind his head with his 300.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

good job 71 but it still does not add up maybe one of the other shots hit also ???
Old 10-16-2004, 11:51 PM

We weren't really sure how it all happened but we thought that it got the near side lung, and hit the spine and came off the spine down into the other lung.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:21 PM

I talked to my mom last night. She said the group got skunked in the high country and had packed out early to try their luck in the low country. I'm really enjoying reading the stories of ya'lls hunts and am hoping to get to go next year.