Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What makes me mad about the tv shows.

Old 10-12-2004, 10:25 AM
Spike

Default What makes me mad about the tv shows.

I know we've bashed the tv shows in the past, but why quit now. I was channel surfing last night before the football game came on, and happen to see one of Larry Weishuhn episodes on Outdoor World. Why do these guys spend so much time talking about how much they respect their prey right before they shoot the thing right through the front shoulders? Did anyone else see last nights show? The one I'm talking about was with the guy killing that whitetail with his muzzleloader. He shot it standing broadside inside of a 100 yards high in the front shoulder, probably tossing both shoulders, and part of the backstrap. They always walk up and go, "great shot". What a bunch of crap! When I was younger, I too use to think it was cool to see a deer collapse on the spot, but these guys are the so called "leaders" of our sport. You want to start respecting animals? Start by not wasting probably 25% of it due to your kill. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really tired of watching people shot deer broadside in the back or front shoulders. My son is 14, and he knows already not to pull this crap with me. Sorry,,,, I'm just venting. LOL
Old 10-12-2004, 08:10 PM

Default RE: What makes me mad about the tv shows.

A shoulder shot only ruins meat when the bullet breaks up. for instance, my wife shot her elk right in the a$$ and didnt ruin ANY meat. Why? she was useing a barnes X bullet. My brother did the same w/ a mulie doe, same result. No lost meat. I shot elk through the shoulder w/ premium bullets all the time and dont lose meat. Sometimes the blood collects between the shoulder and ribs, but if you scape that you'll see that the blood shot doesn't go into the meat, but rather lays between.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:54 PM

I agree that these folks on T.V make their shots sound alot nicer when they actually usually gut shoot the animal. However for the topic of shoulder shots i might be stirring the pot a bit but i think everyone has a right to their own opinon. Now the hind quarters are totally off limits but the front shoulders i believe is not that bad of a shot. I have taken shoulder shots on elk and deer before and it really puts them down fast. There is some meat damage yes but i am not about to beat myself up over it. If its down on the ground and not shot in the hind end i am all smiles. If you are really concerned about meat loss then that reduces the shots u take by probably half. For instance angling away shots are out because that bullet is going to exit out one of the shoulders. I agree that lungs are ideal but if you happen to nail the shoulders i don't think it is a big sin. If that animal is down fast i think all should be forgiven. But as i stated above this is just one man's opinion.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

First off a shoulder shot might not be every guys bag but it is a vital hit with the proper placement and bullet, certainly one I have taken and will take under certain circumstances. My prefered shot on buck is quarter away threw the ribs and out the opposite shoulder, yes I lose a bit of meat but not enough to be concerned. Like Hiawatha that is just my own opinion.

Now to the TV shows, it is just that a TV show. Like a good hit in Football or Hockey it adds to the viewer(well some anyways). The fact of the matter is some (maybe even the majority) like to watch the animal topple in the lens. We have choice click the channel up or down or the little power off button. I understand your point but I have yet to see a hunting video that depicts my reality when it comes to hunting...simply entertainment is how I see it.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:28 AM
Spike

I agree with most of what you guys have said. I too am willing to shoot through one shoulder, but the broadside thing is really what I was talking about. These Texas whitetail are small bodied to begin with, why shoot them through the shoulder? The shock argument is also valid, using a muzzleloader, and or the right bullet. I guess I'm old fashion, I still do most of my hunting in three equal parts, meat, the love of the outdoors, and the occasional trophy, all in pretty equal parts.