Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Temperament of elk.... would like to know

Old 10-04-2004, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Temperament of elk.... would like to know

I've only been around elk once and it was at about mortar range. But I would really like to know, what is the disposition of this critter? If you hit them, do they try to run, or do they spend their last few minutes coming after you? I have no clue.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Temperament of elk.... would like to know

They won't come after you, and depending on where you hit them, they will usually try to flee, and if the hit isn't in the boiler room, they can and will cover a lot of ground before stopping to lay down.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:07 AM

I've got a few years of Elk hunting in. Most would agree Elk have an incredible will
to survive. I have never hunted Moose, but I hear very often that Elk are pound
for pound much more resiliant than moose. They can and will, when shot, or scared
or pushed.... go thru, over, under, some of the most nastiest stuff you can imagine.
I am still amazed at some of the antics I've seen elk do.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every elk I have killed or seen killed has done one thing,and that is RUN and run as fast and as far as they can until they expire or you put them down.
I once shot a cow from about 70 yards with my .338,she was angling away and I sent a 250 gr nosler right through her,she hit the ground and was up and runnig befor I could even work the bolt,down through the trees and up an opening where I put a second round into her spine.The first shot was leathal,straight through a lung and part of the heart,but I still think she would have ran a mile dead.
So when you shoot, shoot,shoot till it's down.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:40 PM

BBJ said it all. I shot a elk w/ a 270 ,170gr round nose,loaded hot. He was about 30-40yds. he didnt even flinch or jump, stumble, no sign whatso ever of being hit. simply turned and ran off, to the tune of about 3miles in waist deep snow. when I caught up w/ him he was still trying to get up and leave the area again. the shot went through both lungs and clipped his heart. This was in the beartooth wilderness area. He ran off the plateua and over towards sunlight basin/Clarks fork so BBJ probably knows that area and let me tell you the run was not a good thing when it came time to pack him out.