Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunting in Colorado

Old 10-01-2004, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default Elk hunting in Colorado

Me and my son will be going on a elk hunt the end of this month and I was wondering if there was anything anyone can tell me to help us out.
1. What are some good bullets for a .270? I have 180 grain premium grade Winchester Silvertips for the 30/06, but I am having a hard time deciding on the bullets for the .270.
2. Any suggestions for food to bring along, what to drink, can you drink the water out of the creeks/streams there?
3. Anything you can tell me would be helpful, being this is going to be a whole different thing than the whitetails from WI. We are going to be going in on horseback into the Gunnison National Forest. They claim we will be getting back in around 10-15 miles from the further most place you can drive a normal vehicle.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Elk hunting in Colorado

Hi BuckM;

I hope you and your son have a great hunt!

Can't help you with the .270, but I shoot Barnes bullets out of every big game rifle I own. These might be a good starting point:

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/913148

I would strongly suggest you not drink out of the streams. Leave the food to the people claiming to bring you 10 miles from the nearest vehicle access. Bring your favorite treats, for me it is those sour cherries...

I don't know about your horse experience, but a 10+ mile ride sounds pretty darn painful to me, I'd rather walk. Wear the Wrangler jeans with the seams reversed and get a piece of sorbathane for your arse.

I don't know which unit you are hunting, but it would be a great use of your time to read this:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/hunt/BGH..._Guides/SW.pdf

Good luck!
CE
Old 10-02-2004, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't drink the water. If that is what the outfitter does, I would take a water purifier. I have the MSR miniworks and it has served me well. It is a good investment/insurance policy against infrequent, but severe infections from drinking creek/spring water.

There are lots of good ammunition choices for the 270. If it were me, I would buy a box of Federal premiums in 140 grain trophy bonded bear claw and 150 grain nosler partitions. Take the one that shoots most accurately. Either will do the job quite nicely out to 200-250 yards. The 270 is not a long range elk gun.

You will need a premium pair of long johns (polypropylene, etc). DO NOT use cotton. The function of long johns is NOT to keep you warm, but to transport moisture (sweat) to outer layers to evaported. When you hike in the mountains, you WILL sweat regardless of how cold. Also, get thin polypropylend sock liners to wear under a wool sock. Anthing else will usually result in cold wet feet and blisters.

Wear your long john bottoms for the ride in. Tends to help prevent saddle chaffing. Take something like ibuprophen for saddle soreness and sore muscles.

If you don't have a good quality sleeping bag with at least a 0 (zero) rating, get one. One cold night and you would pay any amount of money to be warm.

Foods I think of for a pack in hunt: nut mixes, granola bars and cereals, bagels, instant oatmeal, candy bars, etc.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

What area will you be hunting? I've hunted unit 67 many years.
I've shot 11 elk with my .270. I used 150 partitions on all but two of the elk and I used the 140 gr. failsafe on those two. The failsafe bullets were the only bullets that I didn't recover in the elk, full pass throughs, but the partitions worked well too. I don't use my .270 any more, I bought a 300 Win. Mag., but it doesn't kill the elk any more dead! But it does give me a longer reach, just in case!
Like Tx58 said, don't drink the water without a purifier. There are alot of beaver ponds in the area that I have hunted, but there don't have to be beaver to have disease in the water. And you will drink a lot of water. More than normal, so keep that in mind when you buy your purifier.
I like trail mix, jerky, fruit cups, granola bars, kind of food.
Good luck!!
Old 10-02-2004, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

By the way I will be hunting in unit 053.
I have a cow tag and my son is going to get a bull tag over the counter. This way we have both covered.
Thanks for all the info. and help.
Thanks Again
Bruce
Old 10-06-2004, 12:36 AM
usa
Fork Horn

You will be sore after that long of a horse ride, get off and walk your horse the last 1/2 mile and it will work out a lot of the sore muscle's, also drink lot's of water and go light on the caffiene and alcohol.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't drink the water or you are liable to come down with Giardesis, a nasty form of diharea that you don't want, believe me! Filter the water.

You might pack granola or GORP for snacks. GORP is a mix of granola, trailmix, and whatever. Trailmix is a mixture of dried fruit and nuts. I like to add some plain peanut M&Ms to my GORP. This is food that you can snack on at any time that you have a hand free. It is tasty. It helps your regularity. It provided good energy. YOu might also consider beef jerky as a handy, not very perishable food. Make sure your outfitter/guide knows you are carrying this, as in some territory this might be good bear bait, only the bait is unfortuitously in your saddle bags!

Don't forget to carry at least one knife and a sharpener which you know how to sharpen your knife with. Take binoculars. Have a shoulder sling for your rifles. Somepeople say you should take your own scabbard to carry your rifle on your horse, one which can be securely closed at the opening end.

Have a good time.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:05 PM

Here's a couple quick thougths from a Missouri dear hunter who hunts Colorado elk every other year.
Sounds like your going with a guide, listen to everyhting he says as long as it makes sense but dont assume he is a better hunter then you, if you have a thought to try over the next ridge etc. give it a try, its your hunt.

Never drink the stream water and always have plenty of water with you, you dehydrate much faster at altitude. One liter a day is not enough sometimes.

Dont try calling (cow calling) unless you are hunting without a guide, let him do it. If you do call less is more.

Be in shape

Practice shooting to 300yds b4 you go. Practicing at 100 and knowing the holdover distance is not the same. That being said be prepared mentally to shoot a very big animal at 10yds, it can and does happen and it will rattle many expereinced deer hunters.

The open parks are pretty but you cant hunt cover to thick for elk, go in the dark timber and get them.

.270, cant go wrong with winchester failsafes, and in case you here otherwise, a .270 is plenty gun for elk, just make the shot. My son uses a 7mm-08 for elk and they die just fine

Last, its your first elk hunt, enjoy the hunt regardless of if you get an elk or not.
Good hunting...
Old 10-09-2004, 09:56 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck on your hunt. As far as the 270 goes. 130gr or 140gr bullets work well for distance and at close range won't matter. Straight through the lungs and he's going no where. I would opt for a premium load that shoots good through your rifle. Ignore the comments on the 270 not being a long range rifle. It's done its job everytime I've shot an animal with one and others I've seen taken game with one. Nosler partition is a nice all around bullet. I use speer boatails but I'm a distance man myself. And from what I have seen theres nothing wrong with remington corelokt's. Failsafe's in my book tend to be alittle too hard if your shooting them at higher velocity's at close range the bullet passes through the animal without getting much of a energy release on impact. Through the chest it's a dead animal no matter what but it will travel futher and may not even act like its been hit at all. For those who like to chance fate and shoot through elk's massive shoulders it's probaly one of the best bullets for that.